TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072844 times)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1260 on: January 22, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »

This was posted on the Fairporters facebook page. Does this accurately describe anyone here??
https://twitter.com/ImogenWK/status/1217435415143165958?s=19
Could you post the text please? I can't access twitter from this PC....

what is the name for this type of man??

English, Terry Pratchett fan, sardonic humour, left wing-ish, leather jackets, maybe long hair, maybe folk music, Bill Bailey, real ale, usually middle age+. Warhammer adjacent. Likes swords but doesn't necessarily own one?

There you go. I'm none the wiser.

Aha! I’ve followed the link now (home PC) and, as usual, Twitter has come up trumps. Lots of funny tweets  Grin

I find that quite bizarre really, and what does it have to do with Fairport? It really is drivel.  Roll Eyes

Sorry should have posted in the Arms. But one of the responses mentioned that such a person would probably be a Fairport fan.
paul bond 59

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #1261 on: January 22, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »

This was posted on the Fairporters facebook page. Does this accurately describe anyone here??

English, Terry Pratchett fan, sardonic humour, left wing-ish, leather jackets, maybe long hair, maybe folk music, Bill Bailey, real ale, usually middle age+. Warhammer adjacent. Likes swords but doesn't necessarily own one?

Aha! I’ve followed the link now (home PC) and, as usual, Twitter has come up trumps. Lots of funny tweets  Grin

I find that quite bizarre really, and what does it have to do with Fairport? It really is drivel.  Roll Eyes

Sorry should have posted in the Arms. But one of the responses mentioned that such a person would probably be a Fairport fan.

The question wasn't directed at you, or your post, therefore  I apologise for any misunderstanding. I found some posts on the Fairporters site during my time there, and as a moderator for that site, quite unconnected with FC and occasionally bizarre, and the twitter feed you posted bears that out.  
It might be that I'm just a grumpy old bloke with no sense of fun though.  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1262 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »

The question wasn't directed at you, or your post, therefore  I apologise for any misunderstanding. I found some posts on the Fairporters site during my time there, and as a moderator for that site, quite unconnected with FC and occasionally bizarre, and the twitter feed you posted bears that out.  
Twitter has lots of stuff like that. A few days ago it was "What TV catchphrase would be Ok to shout out during sex?". Very funny responses  Grin  Grin (eg "I've started so I'll finish", "To boldly go where no man has been before" etc etc ) It is just for fun.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1263 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »

Harsh.  Does it really matter?  There will be another Fairport-shaped bus along any time now.  Just move along.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1264 on: January 22, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »

Harsh.  Does it really matter?  There will be another Fairport-shaped bus along any time now.  Just move along.

Jules

Their bus rolls on. Shudder.  Wink
paul bond 59

« Reply #1265 on: January 22, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »

Jules

Yes indeed, Our Bus Rolls On has to be one of ther worst Fairport Convention songs ever.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1266 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »

Jules

Yes indeed, Our Bus Rolls On has to be one of ther worst Fairport Convention songs ever.

I like it.  Smiley
paul bond 59

« Reply #1267 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:13 PM »

Jules

I like it.  Smiley

Wayne, I like Gottle O' Geer, many don't, but the world needs variety!   Wink
paul bond 59

« Reply #1268 on: January 22, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »

And speaking of buses rolling on, I wonder why there's no Banbury Trades gig this year? I attended last years end of Wintour show at the Trades, it had to be the best Wintour show I've seen in years, it was like a mini Cropredy, a real homecoming.
Hopefully, it will be restored to the 2021 itinerary.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1269 on: January 22, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »

No apology required Smiley

Looking at the Fairport site, it looks like tickets are selling extremely well for the Wintour. Best get my ticket for Manchester sharpish.
wayne stote

« Reply #1270 on: January 22, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »

Jules

I like it.  Smiley

Very true.

I've always thought that Gottle O' Geer was a mess but a glorious one. I wouldn't want to be without it albeit I only spin it occasionally.  Smiley
paul bond 59

« Reply #1271 on: January 22, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »

Jules

I like it.  Smiley

Very true.

I've always thought that Gottle O' Geer was a mess but a glorious one. I wouldn't want to be without it albeit I only spin it occasionally.  Smiley

I bought it when it came out and only liked two tracks, Cropredy Capers and Frog Up The Pump. It took me ages to actually really get into it. Cropredy Capers and Camels One Of These Days I'll Get An Early Night are back to back on what was called a mix tape back in the day, There's a similarity between the two, albeit fleeting. When I saw Fairport at Penistone in 2018 I spoke top Peggy, broached the subject of GOG and asked why the current line up with CL hadn't tried to play some of the tracks from that album. Surprisingly Peggy said they'd had a go, but the issue was replicating Swarbs vox satisfactorily so the idea was dropped.
I always think Chris' voice has a similar range to Swarb and that he could easily carry off something like When First In To This Countery and so forth.
wayne stote

« Reply #1272 on: January 22, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »

Be nice to hear the current line-up have a crack at some GOG tracks. Maybe they'll have another go, one day.
David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #1273 on: January 24, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »

I'm going to see them at East Riding Theatre in Beverley on 21 May!

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1274 on: January 24, 2020, 05:05:50 PM »

Be nice to hear the current line-up have a crack at some GOG tracks. Maybe they'll have another go, one day.

I haven't listened to GOG in years. It seemed kind of aimless to me on first listen and I didn't revisit it. Bonnie Bunch and Tippler's Tales both contain a number of ear worms, and several tunes on both albums continue to be featured today.

Did any tune from GOG ever make its way into the live repertoire on a regular basis, at any time in history?
wayne stote

« Reply #1275 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »

I haven't listened to GOG in years. It seemed kind of aimless to me on first listen and I didn't revisit it. Bonnie Bunch and Tippler's Tales both contain a number of ear worms, and several tunes on both albums continue to be featured today.

Did any tune from GOG ever make its way into the live repertoire on a regular basis, at any time in history?

I'm not sure but I'm inclined to think not.

Bonny Bunch and Tipplers are my favourite Fairport records. Still sound fresh and exciting after a ridiculous amount of listens.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1276 on: January 24, 2020, 11:14:47 PM »

Sandy's song has had the odd airing i think, that apart i dont think any ever trouble the set lists

The Dude abides
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1277 on: January 24, 2020, 11:15:56 PM »

I think that Limey’s Lament was played during the ‘Bonny’ tour, but nothing else was (I stand to be corrected!)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1278 on: January 25, 2020, 01:52:49 PM »

My copy of Shuffle & Go finally arrived today - but I had to go and collect it from the Post Office, as they had forgotten to pay the postage!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1279 on: January 25, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »

My copy of Shuffle & Go finally arrived today - but I had to go and collect it from the Post Office, as they had forgotten to pay the postage!

Lol.  I'm sure they'll sort that out for you.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: