TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:25:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072792 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #760 on: April 03, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »

£30 plus £1.50 b/f.....open 2pm (for Monte Carlo rolling start to reserve your seating.....then grounds open/picnics recommended. 7.30- 9.30 RT solo.

House, I think, open for a further £1.50

Been round the house. Dont bother.
I shall be elsewhere that night.

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #761 on: April 10, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »

This just in; http://theafterword.co.uk/the-afterword-58-the-meet-on-the-ledge-cast/

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »

thanks for pointing this out Skirky! Nice one!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #763 on: April 10, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

Definitely worth a listen - many, many questions raised on these very pages answered from the horse's mouth. "Why Petula? About the electric..? Why so twee? Who chooses the bands? What's in Richard's set? Are you splitting up?"
Good to hear an interview not rooted in sixties nostalgia.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #764 on: April 10, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Definitely worth a listen - many, many questions raised on these very pages answered from the horse's mouth. "Why Petula? About the electric..? Why so twee? Who chooses the bands? What's in Richard's set? Are you splitting up?"
Good to hear an interview not rooted in sixties nostalgia.

Enjoyed listening to this, no great revelations but some hints (John Kirkpatrick for RT's set?) but some understanding of how it is to be a member of a band that has spanned 50 years.
sirspens (John)

« Reply #765 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »

I listened on iPlayer. Good interview IMO. I had the temerity to be one of the vociferous nay-sayers re the present FC, especially when I reported on my experience on this WinTour. Simon went some way to answering such as I, regarding more electric etc. Good on him, stick to your guns if you believe in what you're doing, I can't criticise the guy for that- he thinks they make a "nice sound" and has no intention of changing-- so at least I know it's curtains for me and FC for good henceforth...   What interested me and tickled me was the request, however, for a bit more "classic" stuff eg "Close to the Wind"

On another matter from previously in this thread - the Island retrospective "Essential/ WKWTTG". I commented on this announcement in post 727 before realising it was to be an Island release-- I thought at that time it was just going to be another repackaging job by third party companies. Well, learning it was only £5 for a 3CD set from amazon, I sent off for it. To be honest, there's nothing new here really for the committed FC collector- but it represents IMO a terrific package at that price. The only criticism is that I'd have happily paid a little more for an included info booklet as to the origin of the tracks selected- a minor niggle, i just refer back to all the other records. There are some nice versions, tracks from records up to and including GoG, plus a few others. I feel it's a better testament to MY Fairport than the 50:50 testament to the last 20 years.....
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #766 on: April 12, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »

On another matter from previously in this thread - the Island retrospective "Essential/ WKWTTG". I commented on this announcement in post 727 before realising it was to be an Island release-- I thought at that time it was just going to be another repackaging job by third party companies. Well, learning it was only £5 for a 3CD set from amazon, I sent off for it. To be honest, there's nothing new here really for the committed FC collector- but it represents IMO a terrific package at that price. The only criticism is that I'd have happily paid a little more for an included info booklet as to the origin of the tracks selected- a minor niggle, i just refer back to all the other records. There are some nice versions, tracks from records up to and including GoG, plus a few others. I feel it's a better testament to MY Fairport than the 50:50 testament to the last 20 years.....

I agree about the booklet. It is a decent set. A few strange inclusions. A few more strange omissions but it is all down to personal preference. Nice to have a clean version of Cropredy Capers without the crossfade. It means I can extract it into my personal Fairport playlist without contamination by other songs. I can't believe that anybody really thinks that Trumpet Hornpipe, Sailors' Alphabet, That'll Be The Day or Angles Brown are more essential than other available options though.
William

« Reply #767 on: April 13, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »

I've got FC mentioned in The New European. OK its only on the letters page. Must be a first though. Do I get extra points for that - tongue in cheek.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »

Finally listened to the Afterword, nothing surprising or controversial, but thoroughly enjoyed and got me looking forward to August with renewed enthusiasm. Chris While and Chris Collister, now added to a truly mouthwatering feast!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #769 on: April 17, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

2/5ths of Daphnes Flight, no less.....

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »

And that's another gig I'm really looking forward to.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »

And that's another gig I'm really looking forward to.

Me too. I was very tempted to do the Isle of Man show but settled for Canterbury in the end.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #772 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

Isle of Man for me...and a couple of others for good measure!

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »

I've got FC mentioned in The New European. OK its only on the letters page. Must be a first though. Do I get extra points for that - tongue in cheek.

What did you find to say about Fairport in a letter to that particular publication?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
William

« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

It was more of a name check than a proper mention really. The previous week they had listed 48 songs with foreign European lyrics and omitted the one that I considered most obvious. The rest of the letter was more political and not relevant to this forum.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #775 on: April 20, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »

An audience with FC in the brand spanking new Uncut.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #776 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »

Remembering Sandy. Thirty nine years ago today.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #777 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:47 AM »

Remembering Sandy. Thirty nine years ago today.

We're off to place some flowers there later today.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #778 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »

Can hardly believe it's so long.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #779 on: April 22, 2017, 07:06:34 AM »

Isle of Man for me...and a couple of others for good measure!

We're on IoM right now, can report that beer is bloody expensive - £4-5 for a pint.

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: