TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072570 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »

Swarb appears to be flogging off everything he has that is Faiport-related.  Huh

He's either strapped, severing all ties with anything Fairport...or both.   Sad

Jules

I think money has long been an issue for Swarb.  He missed out on Fairport's journey into financial security, of course.  

There are many comments around the '79 'break up' about them having made virtually no money at all at that point...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »

It's very sad that someone of Swarb's talent has not been able to make a good living from his music. When you think of the ridiculous money even minor pop celebs can make there is little justice when you compare ability that Swarb has. I really wish he could build some bridges with Fairport but I guess I'm not party to the personal stuff that has happened and it may take a really good mediator (RT?) to get them on the same page again.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:39 PM »

As I understand it, the 1979 break up was the most financially lucrative move (the then) FC ever made.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »

Swarb appears to be flogging off everything he has that is Faiport-related.  Huh

Quite a bit of the stuff seems to be pre & post Fairport as well so I expect he is just having a bit of a clear out TBH.

Happy mainly.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »

Not a lot of items selling right now, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ji.161/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #325 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »

That's my take on it, too. I guess Swarb reckons there could be more ebay browsers likely to be searching on "fairport convention" than on "dave swarbrick"?

I still think it's a crying shame that he & the band haven't been reconciled, though.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #326 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »

It's very sad that someone of Swarb's talent has not been able to make a good living from his music. When you think of the ridiculous money even minor pop celebs can make there is little justice when you compare ability that Swarb has. I really wish he could build some bridges with Fairport but I guess I'm not party to the personal stuff that has happened and it may take a really good mediator (RT?) to get them on the same page again.

Don't forget Richard played with Swarb only a few days after the Barbican show in 2009 at which the latter had been a rather stroppy no show...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »

I don't think Swarb and Richard have fallen out.  Not this time around at least.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »

I don't think Swarb and Richard have fallen out.  Not this time around at least.

Jules

I've never heard either say a bad thing about the other.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #329 on: June 11, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »

There was a period of time when seemingly every Fairport member played on Richard's albums except Swarb, and that always made me wonder if the relationship was one that Richard preferred to keep at arm's length.

Jules

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »

There was a period of time when seemingly every Fairport member played on Richard's albums except Swarb, and that always made me wonder if the relationship was one that Richard preferred to keep at arm's length.

Jules

I wondered the same when I saw the Cropredy 87 concert on TV. Both Swarb and RT were present but nothing was broadcast with the two of them playing together.

Maybe it was just a question of Swarb's availability for the Shoot Out The Lights and Hand of Kindness sessions? Or maybe RT didn't want the publicity and expectations which would surround a Full House line-up reunion his solo albums?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »

Jules

I wondered the same when I saw the Cropredy 87 concert on TV. Both Swarb and RT were present but nothing was broadcast with the two of them playing together.

Maybe it was just a question of Swarb's availability for the Shoot Out The Lights and Hand of Kindness sessions? Or maybe RT didn't want the publicity and expectations which would surround a Full House line-up reunion his solo albums?

Or maybe he just didn't feel that a fiddle was needed on the music he was writing back then?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »

But Simon and the two other Daves would get the call regularly.  I always got the impression that Swarb was harder to hire as a sideman, that he'd be too difficult in some way.  Merely conjecture on my part.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »

Don't think that washes.  The Full House lineup played together at Cropredy many times in the 80's and 90's.

The other thing to remember is Swarb's hearing in the 80's.  He was always struggling on stage (in the early 80's at least) and that is one of the main reasons (or at least stated reasons) as to why he formed the acoustic Whippersnapper and left the mothership.....

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »

Or maybe he just didn't feel that a fiddle was needed on the music he was writing back then?

I guess that's most likely!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

Don't think that washes.  The Full House lineup played together at Cropredy many times in the 80's and 90's.

The other thing to remember is Swarb's hearing in the 80's.  He was always struggling on stage (in the early 80's at least) and that is one of the main reasons (or at least stated reasons) as to why he formed the acoustic Whippersnapper and left the mothership.....

I was thinking more of the 70s.

Jules

GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »

I guess that's most likely!

Not really - there's fiddle on quite a few of RT's albums in the 70's & early 80's.  Richard tended to mostly use Aly Bain on fiddle back then (Hokey Pokey, Jet Plane in a Rocking Chair (with Nic Jones as well), Devonside etc).

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »

Adding to the thought process here is how Smiddyburn/Flittin' came about with the reunited Full House lineup? That would seem to be a case of Swarb making the call to all concerned.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »

Adding to the thought process here is how Smiddyburn/Flittin' came about with the reunited Full House lineup? That would seem to be a case of Swarb making the call to all concerned.

Yes, I'd presume the call came from Swarb rather than from, say, Richard.

Jules

Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

Sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere and I have missed it but Roger Davies has announced he will be opening for Fairport Wintour 2016 .

Roger is a lovely man and a great songwriter from Yorkshire, we used one of his songs in our wedding and it will be great for him to get some more gigs http://rogerdaviesmusic.com/  Grin Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: