TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:56:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073058 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #260 on: November 14, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »

Swarb and Peggy get a brief mention

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/14/ali-campbell-my-family-values

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

New Albion Christmas Band live album- http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php#news1

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

The NME has noticed that today would have been Sandy's birthday:
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/why-we-mustnt-forget-sandy-denny-the-folk-rock-hero-who-influenced-laura-marling-florence-welch-and

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »

I just saw this mentioned on another forum. I can't help wondering, once again, what she would have achieved if she'd lived.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »

I just saw this mentioned on another forum. I can't help wondering, once again, what she would have achieved if she'd lived.  

For me, it's not even a question of what she might have achieved.  It may well have been that her greatest work was already done.  No matter, I just wish she hadn't died so young, and in such a way as she did.  It's the absence of her in our present day lives that causes the most regret.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
peter m

« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »

I celebrate that she didn't train her voice for the opera/give up in favour of nursing ; that she said yes to FC in 68 ; that she wrote many wonderful songs ; that she had a superb voice for the English song tradition ; that I saw her in 1975 with FC, they were fantastic ; that her career is remembered. Her best recordings are timeless.

I also suspect that she spurred Richard Thompson on to great things.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

For me, it's not even a question of what she might have achieved.  It may well have been that her greatest work was already done.  No matter, I just wish she hadn't died so young, and in such a way as she did.  It's the absence of her in our present day lives that causes the most regret.

Jules

I didn't mean the music she might have recorded is  the thing I miss her for. That's usually my second thought, and in a way it's unrelated to her untimely death, if that makes  sense. My first thought is always how awful she only reached  the age she did.Then I think about the music, and then I wonder, in relation to that, how her career would have continued. I feel it's important I clarify this.

Perhaps she'd have done like some others, and just gone over into family stuff, having more children??
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »

FC will be on Loose Ends on Radio4 this Saturday (6.30pm) chatting & playing a track (or 2?) from the new album.

Flobbadob!
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

I also suspect that she spurred Richard Thompson on to great things.

I think it was Joe Boyd who said that it was her respect for RT that encouraged her to fit in with the band. He had been concerned that she would "eat them for breakfast" otherwise.
peter m

« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »

Actually I was thinking more about where RT was as a songwriter in early 1968 and where he was say three or four years later with the material for Henry and Bright Lights. A long time I know and who can say what would have happened anyway but here are a couple of quotes from Patrick Humphries whose book is good on the 60s and 70s.

' The arrival of Sandy Denny gave Richard the confidence to begin writing....... Slowly they realised that if Fairport was to have any real future, it had to come from the dynamics within the group rather than relying on material from outside.'

and, of Genesis Hall  ' It is his chilling ability to ally the style of a C17 Scottish Border ballad with a rock n roll sensibility which still astounds.'

I think a switch was flicked and a direction taken.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

Although Richard was already writing before that time and the band had begun to realise that they needed to write for themselves.

7 out of the 12 tracks on the first album were written by members of the band so they had already started to go down that track..

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »

My missis can take or leave Fairport, except for Dave Swarbrick and "That girl singer they had before Sandy Denny".
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

My missis can take or leave Fairport, except for Dave Swarbrick and "That girl singer they had before Sandy Denny".
I wonder what happened with her?

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »

Grin Grin Kiss

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »

FC will be on Loose Ends on Radio4 this Saturday (6.30pm) chatting & playing a track (or 2?) from the new album.

Rather appropriately we listened to this in Cropredy itself. We were driving back from visiting a friend in Rugby and passing the turning as the announcement came on so Mrs Will (who's never been before) suggested we go. So we listened to Myths and Heroes and Simon's interview in the village before going for a chilly walk around in the dark.

I thought the song sounded good and the interviewer was obviously something of a fan too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »

Rather appropriately we listened to this in Cropredy itself. We were driving back from visiting a friend in Rugby and passing the turning as the announcement came on so Mrs Will (who's never been before) suggested we go. So we listened to Myths and Heroes and Simon's interview in the village before going for a chilly walk around in the dark.

I thought the song sounded good and the interviewer was obviously something of a fan too.
Nikki Bedi. Nice, gentle, knowledgeable interview. Knows how many verses there are in Matty Groves, (I think she said RT played it for her once). Simon sounded his usual unassuming self.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »

Nikki Bedi. Nice, gentle, knowledgeable interview. Knows how many verses there are in Matty Groves, (I think she said RT played it for her once). Simon sounded his usual unassuming self.

Not that knowledgeable, though, given that she badly misquoted a line from one of those 19 verses ....

I couldn't decide whether Simon sounded a little nervous, which admittedly would have been weird.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »

Simon was definitely nervous. A live interview with no advance knowledge of the questions doesn't help.

Chris' voice came across the airwaves as incredibly thin.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »

Just listened. Good interview I think. Got want they wanted over..new album...tour...Cropredy.
I thought Myths sounded better  acoustic, ie  with Gerry playing cajon , than when they tried to 'rock' it up on the album or at Cropredy last yr. if they play it electric Simon needs to play electric gtr and turn it up!
Didn't hear Simon as nervous, just thoughtful and Andy I didn't hear Chris's voice as thin, although it did get stronger. A one off song in a radio studio is difficult. Nice, pleasant, interview.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »

Track from the new album had more life in it than I expected. As an old reactionary where Fpt is concerned, my response to a new album from the old codgers is to yawn and pass on by.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: