TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072733 times)
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

Whoops!  It was on the previous page of my display.  Didn't check it, should have  Embarrassed

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

Download of "Honour & Praise" from last year's Cropredy.  Smiley

http://www.fairportconvention.com/downloads.php

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »

Are those harmony vocals live?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

Certainly sounds that way. Fairport actually harmonize nicely these days (for example on Cell Song from JBL live). Plus didn't hurt having Maart on this one as well.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »

Certainly sounds that way. Fairport actually harmonize nicely these days (for example on Cell Song from JBL live). Plus didn't hurt having Maart on this one as well.

Sounded too good to be live to me.  That's a compliment by the way!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »

Sounded too good to be live to me.  That's a compliment by the way!

Does sound good alright  Cheesy Must remember to play these at home, I honestly forgot about those downloads on the FC site.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »

It was during this track that Radio Oxford lost the sound
Hopefully we may get the other missing tracks up to John Gaudie when their podcast came back on
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »

One of my favourite FC tracks! Will be downloaded later from my home PC  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

Dylan covers "Vincent BL"?  Shocked

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2013/07/15/entertainment/doc51e3f6e3d8dec154024239.txt

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »

I liked this sentence - "A cover of Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" was a welcome surprise — seemingly for Dylan's band, too"
It'd be interesting to actually hear what it sounded like, as well.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »

Maybe this is old news to everyone else...

I had my Jesus Christ Superstar LP out today for the first time in quite a few years. I was looking through the book that came along (trying to remember the names of a couple vocalists) and saw that on drums was no other than good ol' Bruce Rowland. I get a kick out of knowing that a member of my favorite group played on one of my favorite all-time albums from my childhood!
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »

In the Fairport scheme of things, Australian singer-songwriter GLENN CARDIER would be best known for having written "All The Dance Numbers" on Dave Pegg's 'Cocktail Cowboy' solo album.  Glenn has written many other equally fine songs over the decades, of course.

He has recently issued a double collection of previously unreleased songs from the 1970s, entitled "Old Haunts".

Not only does it feature the original Glenn Cardier solo demo of All The Dance Numbers (which you can hear in full on his page) - but also a band version featuring both Dave Pegg and Dave Swarbrick!   Glenn explains: "This demo was made at Peggy's place. They added the overdubs later, then Peggy went on to cover it himself."

With 46 tracks altogether, there is much to explore.  All the details can be found at http://www.glenncardier.com/glenn-cardier-music.htm#haunts

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »

Interesting RT interview via his FB page;

http://www.rockol.com/news-521873/Richard-Thompson-%27Dylan-played-my-song.-I-thought-it-was-a-joke

Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »

I had my Jesus Christ Superstar LP out today for the first time in quite a few years. I was looking through the book that came along (trying to remember the names of a couple vocalists) and saw that on drums was no other than good ol' Bruce Rowland. I get a kick out of knowing that a member of my favorite group played on one of my favorite all-time albums from my childhood!

Apparently, according to one of the very first Cropredy programmes (1981? I can't be bothered to look) Bruce was sweeping A L W's chimney when he asked 'know any good drummers?'
Bruce owned up and did the album.
A L W asked if he wanted a fee or a percentage (remember that Tim Rice and A L W were relatively unknown in those days) and Bruce took a fee.
If he'd taken a precentage, well.

Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »

Apparently, according to one of the very first Cropredy programmes (1981? I can't be bothered to look) Bruce was sweeping A L W's chimney when he asked 'know any good drummers?'
Bruce owned up and did the album.
A L W asked if he wanted a fee or a percentage (remember that Tim Rice and A L W were relatively unknown in those days) and Bruce took a fee.
If he'd taken a precentage, well.

Grin That's a fantastic tale!!! I like to imagine Bruce drumming away up the chimney, ash flying around all willy-nilly. Thanks for sharing that!!
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but The Bunch's "Rock On" looks set for another reissue. Rejoice!  Smiley

http://www.propermusic.com/product-details/The-Bunch-Rock-On-153751?Image&utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14047-224957-PMC+Newsletter+-+%23075b+%28Forthcoming%29+-+Fri+-+Vers.2

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

I know so many who adore this album.  It's just never done anything for me... I guess, ultimately, I'm just not a 50's rock'n'roll fan...  My loss, of course.

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »

Bought it when it came out, Swedsih papers seemed to concentrate on the old rock n`rock numbers and not so much on the happy-go-lucky versions of old standards.
Sorry, old fans : "Let there be drums" is an nice enough anomaly, but I look forward to something more substantial----

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:24 PM »

I have to agree with David MJS..I am not a big fan of John Lennon's Rock and Roll or Paul McCartney's album of rock and roll era stuff either and the less said about the rock and roll medley on the Uriah Heep live album, the better.  It must have been fun to record and one or two numbers thrown in to a live performance can be entertaining too, but no need for a full studio album, regardless of the quality of the musicians..

Thank Drunk I'm God
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 02:39:11 AM »

I don't adore it, but I don't despise it either. There are some real gems that stand out, like When Will I Be Loved, Learning The Game and Twenty Flight Rock, and a few mediocre covers like Dont Be Cruel and My Girl In The Month of May. Its a side project, nothing more, just like The G.P.'s, The Dylan Project and about a million one-off Ashley Hutchings projects.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: