TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073392 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1660 on: August 15, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »

I really enjoyed it too, despite some of the songs making me weep uncontrollably (Fairport were a big soundtrack to my years with Gill).  At times I thought they played the old songs too politely (did Gerry even break a sweat?), but there was no denying the quality of the singing and playing.  Simon sang magnificently I thought, and Ric played out of his skin.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1661 on: August 15, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »

Good to see the corn flakes box after many years (?). What was that electric 12 string Simon was playing? I tried to read the headstock but the camerawork was too quick for me Grin
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #1662 on: August 15, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »

Good to see the corn flakes box after many years (?). What was that electric 12 string Simon was playing? I tried to read the headstock but the camerawork was too quick for me Grin

It was a Danelectro.

I haven't been here for a while, is the Brazenove video likely to be released?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1663 on: August 15, 2021, 12:31:27 PM »

Hooky, I think. Hook Norton brewery.

Flobbadob!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1664 on: August 15, 2021, 01:42:44 PM »

I really enjoyed it too, despite some of the songs making me weep uncontrollably (Fairport were a big soundtrack to my years with Gill).  At times I thought they played the old songs too politely (did Gerry even break a sweat?), but there was no denying the quality of the singing and playing.  Simon sang magnificently I thought, and Ric played out of his skin.

Jules

Also thought Ric was on great form. His solo in Sloth and use of effects was brilliant.
Malcolm
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1665 on: August 15, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »

It was a Danelectro.

Ah, thanks for that.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1666 on: August 15, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »

For some reason I only got the email today telling me about last night's gig but no matter, I'm watching it now.

I too like the look of Simon's 12 string. Very nice.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1667 on: August 15, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »

Very pleased to be able to watch the Brasenose concert today.  I'd assumed that it was only being shown last night.  Lots in it I'm really not so keen on, but plenty to keep 'someone like me' interested too.  Simon's guitar work on an entirely excellent Sloth alone was well worth the tenner I chucked in the bucket.  Great stuff.  

Oh, and there's even a recent song I've not heard before that I don't actively dislike - Cider Rain.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1668 on: August 15, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »

Very pleased to be able to watch the Brasenose concert today.  I'd assumed that it was only being shown last night.  Lots in it I'm really not so keen on, but plenty to keep 'someone like me' interested too.  Simon's guitar work on an entirely excellent Sloth alone was well worth the tenner I chucked in the bucket.  Great stuff.  

Oh, and there's even a recent song I've not heard before that I don't actively dislike - Cider Rain.

And a big yes, to whoever highlighted Simon's vocal on WKWTTG...extraordinary. One of the best versions I've heard from this band.  Brilliant.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1669 on: August 15, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »

The fact that they could pull something of this class off after not even having met for 18 months is testament to the incredible talents involved in the whole "Fairport family". Of course nowhere near makes up for being there, but a nice consolation prize. I too shed a few tears. Roll on next year.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1670 on: August 15, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »

It was a really good concert, beautifully played and filmed. The setlist was similar to the Winter Tour show I saw in 2020, but considering what happened next, as Nigel Tufnell might've said, "That's just nit picking, innit ?"  Grin
Very well played, guys, and thanks for thinking of those not able to be there on the night. Apparently, they're going to keep it up on YouTube for the foreseeable, which is a very good thing !
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1671 on: August 15, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »

Just watched it....'Don't reveal my name' Outstanding performance and a great song. Oh the rain.....  Roll Eyes

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1672 on: August 15, 2021, 09:07:01 PM »

Great way to spend a Saturday night in August (or maybe the only way!) Hats off to everyone involved in getting the show on and getting it recorded.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1673 on: August 16, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »

It was wonderful.  I can't imagine how they managed to make something sound so good without even having had time to rehearse properly!  We even had a Red and Gold sunset partway through - just needed them to play the song to round it all off!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1674 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:37 AM »

Just watched it....'Don't reveal my name' Outstanding performance and a great song. Oh the rain.....  Roll Eyes

Must say I enjoyed the songs from Shuffle and Go. And despite the hard times of the last 18 months Simon does still have an impressive collection of guitars. Were they being sponsored by Kellogg's?  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
malcolm talking elephant
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

« Reply #1675 on: August 16, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »

Wonderful to be part of the show on Saturday with the aid of YouTube. And a tear in the old eye for Maart at the end.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1676 on: August 16, 2021, 04:02:04 PM »

And a very warm welcome to the site, Malcolm  Smiley... we have talked in the past about various CDs ...
malcolm talking elephant
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

« Reply #1677 on: August 17, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »

Hi Phil

After all this time I can't believe I never joined years ago, what was wrong with me DOH!!!.  So good to be here and am so pleased to have been part of the re-release of Steve Ashley's classic Family Album Revisited. One of Peggy's favourite albums from Woodworm Records all those years back and with most of Fairport on it. My other joy was to be able to bring out Maarts OX15 again, one of my favourite albums of all time. Cheesy
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1678 on: August 17, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »

And despite the hard times of the last 18 months Simon does still have an impressive collection of guitars. Were they being sponsored by Kellogg's?  Smiley

I'm pretty sure that Simon's had that guitar since at least the Hand of Kindness sessions.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Malcolm
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1679 on: August 17, 2021, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Simon's had that guitar since at least the Hand of Kindness sessions.

Jules

Indeed, when he was beardless as I recall. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: