TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073356 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1460 on: October 24, 2020, 11:01:29 PM »

i had hoped The Excalibur and Anne de Bretagne records would be an exciting part of FC's history but i think they are largely overblown, unintelligible euro pap.  You couldnt pay me millions to download anymore of it.  The thunderstorm that hit cropredy on the Saturday night performance was far more entertaining and longer lasting in the memory than the music itself.

The Dude abides
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1461 on: October 25, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »

I wasn't at the Cropredy where they featured it, so can't comment on that performance, but I enjoyed the Fame and Glory CD and listen to it quite often (other opinions are, of course, available)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1462 on: October 25, 2020, 09:36:04 AM »

i had hoped The Excalibur and Anne de Bretagne records would be an exciting part of FC's history but i think they are largely overblown, unintelligible euro pap.  You couldnt pay me millions to download anymore of it.  The thunderstorm that hit cropredy on the Saturday night performance was far more entertaining and longer lasting in the memory than the music itself.

That thunderstorm is deep in my memory. I was terrified!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #1463 on: November 06, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »

i had hoped The Excalibur and Anne de Bretagne records would be an exciting part of FC's history but i think they are largely overblown, unintelligible euro pap.  You couldnt pay me millions to download anymore of it.  The thunderstorm that hit cropredy on the Saturday night performance was far more entertaining and longer lasting in the memory than the music itself.

I had somewhat over-imbibed at the toast and remember mumbling something along the lines of "aren't Fairport putting on a good light show this year?"  Embarrassed

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1464 on: November 06, 2020, 12:44:43 PM »

That thunderstorm is deep in my memory. I was terrified!

Simon asked people to put their brollies down in order not to attract the lightning.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1465 on: November 06, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »

The dishonourable member for the grim north is correct, it was dire, I was lucky that my pal had bought a caravan that year and we watched the thunder and lightning from the van while trying to drown out the music. It was also memorable because the lovely Kim placed the gas lamp too close to the tent wall causing me to beg some gaffa tape from our resident pirate. That patch is still on the tent.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1466 on: November 06, 2020, 02:51:13 PM »

That resident pirate still has loads of gaffa tape if ever you need it.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1467 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »

I am currently reading Elton John's autobiography in which Fairport make an unexpected appearance. Apparently Elton was watching/chatting to them at the Fillmore in 1970 the night he decided seduce John Reid.

I don't remember that scene in Rocketman  Grin
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1468 on: November 29, 2020, 06:08:15 PM »

I am currently reading Elton John's autobiography in which Fairport make an unexpected appearance. Apparently Elton was watching/chatting to them at the Fillmore in 1970 the night he decided seduce John Reid.

I don't remember that scene in Rocketman  Grin

I don't remember it being mentioned when he was Home Secretary. I wonder if Tony Blair knew?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1469 on: November 30, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »

Just noticed a 'new' Fairport album on download/streaming sites - Live at Rock City, Nottingham. Only had the briefest of listens to The Gas Almost Works and sound is ok. Maybe taken from a radio broadcast? Anyone know anything about this?

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1470 on: November 30, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »

Just noticed a 'new' Fairport album on download/streaming sites - Live at Rock City, Nottingham. Only had the briefest of listens to The Gas Almost Works and sound is ok. Maybe taken from a radio broadcast? Anyone know anything about this?

I think there's a similar era RT one as well?  Doubt the artists earn a penny....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1471 on: November 30, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »

I think there's a similar era RT one as well?  Doubt the artists earn a penny....

There is - also 1987 1986.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1472 on: December 01, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »

Not so sure about that in this case. The RT one was issued on Angel Air, a longstanding reputable reissue label with good relationships with their artists who have included Stackridge and Mott The Hoople amongst many others.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1473 on: December 01, 2020, 01:35:58 PM »

I wouldn't mind if these CD's were priced more reasonably , say £5.99
Paying £10 , given they've not exactly had to hire a mobile recording studio , and the quality is often not great , doesn't feel any better than buying old bootleg LP's which used to be overpriced too in the 70's / 80's
It's interesting how the marketplace has changed , loads of odd compilation CD's by Fairport on odd labels with varying  artwork , and now more live CD's to collect every year. "Beat the bootlegger" campaign in full swing ?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1474 on: December 01, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »

Not so sure about that in this case. The RT one was issued on Angel Air, a longstanding reputable reissue label with good relationships with their artists who have included Stackridge and Mott The Hoople amongst many others.

Hmmm.  Maybe.  Having said that, I don't imagine 'good relations' will spread the few hundred quid raised from the tiny sales/numbers of streams very far....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #1475 on: December 01, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »

Hmmm.  Maybe.  Having said that, I don't imagine 'good relations' will spread the few hundred quid raised from the tiny sales/numbers of streams very far....

I think there was a TV broadcast of FC in 1989 at Rock City. Could be that.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #1476 on: December 01, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »

I think there was a TV broadcast of FC in 1989 at Rock City. Could be that.

This is 1987 (it says) and judging by the setlist they are touring Expletive Delighted.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1477 on: December 01, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »

Listening on Spotify now.  It obviously was a radio broadcast (it is referred to in the inter-song chat).  Sound quality doesn't sound too bad, and it is good to hear Maart's voice, and all the old familiar jokes.  This was around the time I first saw Fairport.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1478 on: December 01, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

Angel Air have bought the rights to issue recordings made by the local radio station in Nottingham. These are not grey market "out of copyright" releases. I'm not suggesting that the artists will make a lot out of them but unlike the recent Chicago 1970 set for example, they are above board releases by a respected record label. Here is a link to their website, though the Fairport set does not appear which makes me think the digital release may be grey market and not sanctioned by Angel Air.

http://www.angelair.co.uk/?page_id=15
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1479 on: December 01, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »

Angel Air, as I understand it, have changed owners relatively recently but have certainly had very good relations with the artists whose material they have have released in the past. The ‘grey’ aspect of the catalogue is mainly around who actually owns the recordings they put out. I heard tell of Mick Ralphs turning up with a carrier bag full of rehearsal tapes which - technically - he owned. Who got royalty cheques off the back of that, I couldn’t say.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: