TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Views on confirmed line-up  (Read 16409 times)
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »

There's only ever been one set I have actively disliked in the 10 years I've been going to Cropredy, and that was a noise thing.
There have been several times that I had thought something wouldn't be my thing and then been bowled over by it. So, bring it on!! I'll be there if I can raise the cash  Wink
I don't rush to the field early on Saturday any more, though, but that's my personal choice.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »

I don't rush to the field early on Saturday any more, though, but that's my personal choice.

usually walking on velvet green eh Gill?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »

Back on topic, so far so good, bear in mind that some years the line up has looked sparse but the bands have been brilliant. I have learnt to trust the chaps judgement for the guests.

Pretty much my view too.

Agreed.  I didn't expect to be wowed this year, as there were many acts I didn't know, but the Friday line-up, in particular, was pretty much perfectly pitched for me.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

The entirely understandable fact of the matter is that Cropredy is now a commercial enterprise with a financial imperative to book acts who will bring in sufficient punters to pay for the festival and make it viable. Sadly, Fairport's own audience and that of their various acolytes is no longer sufficient to do that in its own right so bigger names who are perhaps unrepresentative of the festivals of 10 or 20 years ago have started to appear on the bill.

I completely get why that has had to happen but for me it has moved the festival away from the (perhaps illusory) sense of intimacy that it used to have and it is no longer so much my cup of tea. The village of course remains lovely but for me it has always been the music that matters so there has to be sufficient enticements on the bill to make me want to attend. The atmosphere alone is not enough and in any case the atmosphere has changed in recent years. The announced acts so far simply do not appeal to me.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »

so far:

Aussie Floyd - as I am unlikley to ever make the huge financial investment to see PF in reality this will be the next best thing.
Chas and Dave - great choice for Cropredy, 20k people singing the Sideboard Song is going to be fun
Marillion - should have been booked years ago a very strong band for many years despite one major line up change.
Al Stewart - so what should I expect other than Year of the Cat. I know nothing of his work?
Digance - ho-hum, amused me for the first few years but a bit bored with it now

Liked Edwina Hayes when she played cropredy a few years back, expect I will still like her stuff.

Folk Awards winners - can't remember who they are but usually good for an early doors slot.

Haven't bothered to see Fairport for a couple of years on the tours and missed cropredy last year but many good things being said about recent gigs and set lists so ....

Cheers,

DW
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

Folk Awards winners - can't remember who they are but usually good for an early doors slot.

That may be because they aren't announced till February Wink
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »

so far:

Al Stewart - so what should I expect other than Year of the Cat. I know nothing of his work?

Cheers,

DW

Don't expect it to sound like Year of the Cat.  He hardly ever plays with a full band these days.  Usually it is just him and a second guitarist (Dave Nachmanoff recently) and sometimes another musician (he had a guy playing acoustic bass on much of the UK tour this year).  If you want to listen to something to give you an idea, try his Uncorked live album from a couple of years back.

He may, of course, change it for an outdoor show, but as he will, I understand, be in the just pre-Fairport slot, which is usually 'one man and guitar', I don't suppose it'll be too different.  I am hoping for guest spots from some of the Fairporters who played on his early albums!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »

That may be because they aren't announced till February Wink

that'll be it then.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »

so far:

Cheers,

DW

Don't expect it to sound like Year of the Cat.  He hardly ever plays with a full band these days.  Usually it is just him and a second guitarist (Dave Nachmanoff recently) and sometimes another musician (he had a guy playing acoustic bass on much of the UK tour this year).  If you want to listen to something to give you an idea, try his Uncorked live album from a couple of years back.

He may, of course, change it for an outdoor show, but as he will, I understand, be in the just pre-Fairport slot, which is usually 'one man and guitar', I don't suppose it'll be too different.  I am hoping for guest spots from some of the Fairporters who played on his early albums!

I saw the same show as Will recently, in Basingstoke, and can only agree with what he says!

Initially I was disappointed when I saw he didn't have a full band with him, thinking that songs like "The Year of the Cat" etc would sound a bit thin as acoustic numbers, but actually I was blown away. In fact, some songs I didn't really know (like "Antarctica", which he seemed to play in response to someone in the audience calling out for it) were so good I went away and listened to the originals - and the acoustic version suited the song so much better!

He had a fabulous rapport with the audience and was very funny.

Here's to having Fairport join in on "In Brooklyn" and "She follows her own rules", without their pseudonyms this time! We might need Jimmy Page as well for "Love Chronicles" though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: