TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 08:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Soundtrack Of A Photograph Blog  (Read 99494 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »

Interesting piece mate and well written,  I look forward to the next one. Now if you can add beer reviews into the mix as well your onto a winner  Wink

I'm sure I have a picture of a half empty pint glass somewhere I can write in conjunction with a drinking song which may fit the bill  Wink

Cheers mate, thank you.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »

Always nice to read something by someone with a passion!

I saw that there is a Schermerhorn Row in New York, Schermerhorn is a tiny village in the North West of Holland and has about 1200 inhabitants, I guess that when people from that village migrated to the US there must have been even less inhabitants but still even now there is a street named after it.

A legacy of Manhattan having been originally settled by the Dutch perhaps.

Yes Ronald, it is indeed a legacy of the Dutch, and there are numerous reminders of the days of New Amsterdam still to be found. The Van Dyke Expressway, Gansevoort Street, the Kill Van Kull and many more. Schermerhorn Row is the remainder of the old 19th century buildings that have been a cornerstone of the South Street Seaport. Thanks for the compliment, you as well Joanna!

Settlers always leave their mark, customs, food, place names etc.

I once read there are placenames in the East of England which have Scandinavian origins.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:46 PM »

Yes Ronald, it is indeed a legacy of the Dutch, and there are numerous reminders of the days of New Amsterdam still to be found. The Van Dyke Expressway, Gansevoort Street, the Kill Van Kull and many more. Schermerhorn Row is the remainder of the old 19th century buildings that have been a cornerstone of the South Street Seaport. Thanks for the compliment, you as well Joanna!

Staying up too late last night working on it resulted in my un-NY like error in my own post. I of course meant the Van Wyck Expressway  Wink

At least my error was also Dutch.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 02:45:38 AM »

Next edition is up-the gritty urban funk of The Jimmy Castor Bunch, specifically the ground breaking song It's Just Begun and the connection Jimmy had with my father. At the time Jimmy passed I wrote about some of this on here, but not as detailed. Get funky!

http://robpatdoy.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/the-soundtrack-of-a-photograph-part-2/

RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »

Special Thanksgiving edition of The Soundtrack Of A Photograph is here- http://robpatdoy.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/the-soundtrack-of-a-photograph-part-3/
Subject is long friendships, political awakening, and Closer To Fine by the Indigo Girls. Enjoy.

Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

Special Thanksgiving edition of The Soundtrack Of A Photograph is here- http://robpatdoy.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/the-soundtrack-of-a-photograph-part-3/
Subject is long friendships, political awakening, and Closer To Fine by the Indigo Girls. Enjoy.

A very good piece, Robert, and I'm particularly fond of Closer To Fine by The Indigo Girls...
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »

Thanks Dan. One of the subjects of this entry has already contacted me after a long night of no sleep with allergies, etc....aided by tears by what I wrote, which makes me so glad that I wrote it. As to Closer To Fine it really did grab me the first time I heard it and it has never let go some 24 years or so later

Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

Just read the second part. Seriously mate, these pieces are an extremely good read. Shall be sharing this about. Keep it up!

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

Thanks a lot Addie, the reaction I am getting has been overwhelming, and I am so glad I made this happen. To actually carry through with it instead of just feeling like whats the point, no one will read it type of thing. Appreciate it  Smiley

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

Man, these are too good. I can't compete!  Grin

I love the story behind the Jimmy Castor entry and the sentiment behind the Thanksgiving edition in particular. I have far too few pictures of my friends & virtually none of me with them.

I also love Closer To Fine but am ashamed to say that it is the only Indig Girls record I own (in 7 inch single form).

Keep em coming Robert. Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

Man, these are too good. I can't compete!  Grin

I love the story behind the Jimmy Castor entry and the sentiment behind the Thanksgiving edition in particular. I have far too few pictures of my friends & virtually none of me with them.

I also love Closer To Fine but am ashamed to say that it is the only Indig Girls record I own (in 7 inch single form).

Keep em coming Robert. Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow.

Keep at it Al. I loved your blog. I told my friend in a way I am glad I waited until now to do this. The thoughts in my head would not have come out so good a few years ago I think. What worked for me was a day off about a month ago. Didnt sleep in, didnt listen to music, I got out of the apartment to a coffee shop with my laptop and really thought about a lot of things. The spark of the 'hook' I wanted for this blog was born then and that has carried me through up to now. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, and the Thanksgiving wishes  Smiley

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »

I forgot to mention that I was reminded by your blog of my first trip to the US. After travelling around to various places we stopped off for a few hours on our way back to New York in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Stockbridge is of course the setting for the actual events depicted in the song and the location for the film of Alice's Restaurant. That was not our reason for going there. Nor had it occured to me until we arrived but I was a fan of both the movie and the song and of Arlo Guthrie in general and spent an absorbing couple of hours searching out all of the various locations. It was a few days before Christmas. It had recently snowed and Stockbridge looked enchanting and was largely unchanged from its 60s self depicted on screen. I remember I picked up a copy of the CD of Ringo Starr's Goodnight Vienna in a record store there which I had not, at that point, seen at home.

And of course, although Alice's Restaurant was long gone, there was still a cafe in the same building. I don't know if you could get anything you want there but you could certainly get decent coffee and it had to be done. A happy and special memory.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

That is a great story Al! Passed through Stockbridge before but never went in search of 'Alice.' Must admit to never seeing the film Alice's Restaurant but it has been tradition here to play the live version on the radio every Thanksgiving. Owing to its length stations had to say-we will play it at 9, 10:45, 12 noon, etc tomorrow, so people could be prepared for it  Cheesy

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »

Try and see the film Robert. It is very much of its time but it is hugely entertaining.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »

Latest edition of The Soundtrack Of A Photograph, all about trees and the music of Chris Trapper is here-

http://robpatdoy.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/the-soundtrack-of-a-photograph-part-4/

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

Latest edition of The Soundtrack Of A Photograph, all about trees and the music of Chris Trapper is here-

http://robpatdoy.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/the-soundtrack-of-a-photograph-part-4/

He's on a roll!  I remember when I was on a roll.  *sob*   Cry

Nice one, Roberto.  Keep it up, fella.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »

Will look forward to reading this later. In case anyone is interested and largely inspired by Robert's work, after many months away I hope to have the next installment of my own blog up by the weekend, if I can find time to finish it and can remember how to use Wordpress.  Roll Eyes

The date is significant.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

Thanks chaps. Al-great news and I will look forward to it. Jules your blog concept is too good to stop and we all look forward to it whenever you are ready. What year is next?

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Jules your blog concept is too good to stop and we all look forward to it whenever you are ready. What year is next?

No, wait, I see what you mean.   Cheesy

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »

I walked right into that one!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: