TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owl Service Return  (Read 46714 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »

Well, they may be dead and buried but Jo has a new album out... https://jolepine.bandcamp.com/releases

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 07:35:28 PM »

Thanks, David.  Sounds nice.  I'll check out the other tracks when the album is released, in a couple of weeks.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »

If any Owl Service fans have a few gaps in their collection, member Jo Lepine is selling a few spare CDs on Facebook....(I assume you'll have to like her/message her etc.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »

And Steven has now put up (almost) everything including a rather tasty new comp of hard to find stuff on Bandcamp https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »

And Steven has now put up (almost) everything including a rather tasty new comp of hard to find stuff on Bandcamp https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/

Thanks.  Will check it out.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2020, 08:13:09 AM »

Steven seems to have picked up his guitar again, albeit briefly perhaps, in order to reactivate Greanvine with Diana.

https://vimeo.com/473964190?fbclid=IwAR0BX7gCVjaHbsQxqrgXHB0WKtRGYrk4Aq4w9VwN8zpk7p4KOGrGSSopCGo

They've also reissued all of their earlier releases in a physical format.

https://greanvine.bandcamp.com/?fbclid=IwAR0JieUGr276iLgo2fC5DBWH1DbzEeMpCm4cCZYxNkgM9V4nuBLPJmtTWtk

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »

And new Greanvine (seasonal) material.  It's very good  Smiley

https://greanvine.bandcamp.com/album/hanged-with-gold-so-red?fbclid=IwAR2Z8Hx60TpHqPrI5vqqeDlsxVHHav6SLx-vq8YnbcUOa2Ja-ROZMDKiJos

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »

Thank you David  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »

And now...they're officially back (Take 3).  Whoop, and indeed, whoop...

https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/album/rise-up-rise-up

Got their own new FB page too if that's your thang

https://www.facebook.com/theowlserviceband/

Ian_
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

None the wiser

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »

Thank you again David  Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2021, 07:21:49 PM »

It's out now  Smiley https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/album/rise-up-rise-up?from=fanpub_fb_merch

David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »

Got mine on order!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 03:42:06 PM »

There's a new compilation of hard to find material available on disc...
https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/?fbclid=IwAR22dvrOn4i9_8qDQ5c-Re2tT2Uvw9uKzxV6jIO5tl-MS2bVaXdsL0wuYao

Steven says they won't be playing live (although several of them are backing Diana on the belated launch for her solo album) in Oct https://www.facebook.com/events/547933379544572/?ref=newsfeed

Ian_
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

None the wiser

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

Thank you David. I remember buying the first 'Wake the vaulted echo' e.p. about fifteen years ago  Shocked

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »

Thank you David. I remember buying the first 'Wake the vaulted echo' e.p. about fifteen years ago  Shocked

I think I came across them around 2008/9... I've never understood how they're not big (well, at least Trembling Bells 'big').

Greg E

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

They are far and away my favourite 'new' "Electric-Folk" band of the last 20 years. Gutted that they couldn't have been bigger.

Although I quite enjoy some of the attempts of newer British "folk Rock" bands they never quite hit the mark. The format feels a little dated, which in the hands of Steeleye/Fairport etc feels right - and is still great at times ('Dodgy Bastards' album  Afro ) but for some reason newer bands can't quite push the envelope enough. I do keep listening to bands like Traad Arr but they are hit and miss, and drag a bit sometimes. Maybe they are trying to be a bit too serious?

Anyway, I digress, I put Owl Service in the 'post Electric-Folk' bracket(not folk rock) and it still sounds contemporary, new and progressive.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »

They are far and away my favourite 'new' "Electric-Folk" band of the last 20 years. Gutted that they couldn't have been bigger.

Although I quite enjoy some of the attempts of newer British "folk Rock" bands they never quite hit the mark. The format feels a little dated, which in the hands of Steeleye/Fairport etc feels right - and is still great at times ('Dodgy Bastards' album  Afro ) but for some reason newer bands can't quite push the envelope enough. I do keep listening to bands like Traad Arr but they are hit and miss, and drag a bit sometimes. Maybe they are trying to be a bit too serious?

Anyway, I digress, I put Owl Service in the 'post Electric-Folk' bracket(not folk rock) and it still sounds contemporary, new and progressive.

Steven walked away because the response to His Pride No Spear No Friend which really pushed the envelope was so well, to be honest, almost non existent.  Listen to She Moves Through the Fair on the new ep...I mean who needs another folk-rock version of that...there are so many around, and a couple of definitives.  So, why?  But Steven does something very interesting with it...I think.  I love them unconditionally.  Even when they don't quite succeed on some material, they go down fighting....  Smiley

Greg E

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »

Steven walked away because the response to His Pride No Spear No Friend which really pushed the envelope was so well, to be honest, almost non existent.  Listen to She Moves Through the Fair on the new ep...I mean who needs another folk-rock version of that...there are so many around, and a couple of definitives.  So, why?  But Steven does something very interesting with it...I think.  I love them unconditionally.  Even when they don't quite succeed on some material, they go down fighting....  Smiley

Oh I completely agree, they are head and shoulders above all other 'folk rock' offerings over the last 20 years. I guess I was suggesting that I think Owl Service works because it is electric-folk rather than folk-rock, but maybe the distinction is just in my head, I am not good at putting it into words..!!  Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »

Oh I completely agree, they are head and shoulders above all other 'folk rock' offerings over the last 20 years. I guess I was suggesting that I think Owl Service works because it is electric-folk rather than folk-rock, but maybe the distinction is just in my head, I am not good at putting it into words..!!  Grin

I definitely wasn't arguing  Smiley  I too find the old school folk rock of Trad Arr, Galley Beggar and the rest very hit and miss.  The last straight version of the genre that really interested me were the Albion Band 2.0.  Magpie Arc have intrigued me though....

Greg E

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 01:00:47 PM »

I definitely wasn't arguing  Smiley  I too find the old school folk rock of Trad Arr, Galley Beggar and the rest very hit and miss.  The last straight version of the genre that really interested me were the Albion Band 2.0.  Magpie Arc have intrigued me though....

I thought the Albion Band 2.0 EP was good but I was a little disappointed with the album. I will try Magpie Arc.

I should add that another band I love in this genre (just about) for me is 'The Changing Room'. Although all original songs they sound amazing and are almost perfect 'new' traditional songs. Tanya Brittain is a brilliant songwriter. Sadly another band that seems to have fallen by the wayside with solo projects taking over (mainly by Sam Kelly)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: