TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803502 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2040 on: February 21, 2024, 10:47:10 AM »

Henry Normal and Brian Bilston.  

These are 2 poet/comedians, so not my usual  thing. .  A friend had a spare ticket and invited me along.

Henry Normal has been on radio 4.  I preferred Brian B. Henry used strong language and sexual content  too often, i felt , as a way of getting a quick laugh.

A pleasant enough evening- and I was delighted to see my friend Lindsay  after a long time. She has been through  cancer and recovery.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:07:38 AM by Alan2 » Logged
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2041 on: February 25, 2024, 10:41:58 AM »

McCusker, McGoldrick & Doyle at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal last night. First time I'd seen the three of them together. Unfortunately the venue was in full smoke and lights mode again - I think I had a bit of a moan about it after the Carthy & Boden gig there in December. But I'd booked seats towards the back of the room so it wasn't so bad and some of the effects, when they switched the smoke machine off, were quite pleasant. But does this kind of folk music need all these visual effects? Answers on a postcard...

The music was as good as you'd expect from these three. They're at the start of their current tour having been part of the Transatlantic Sessions following on from Celtic Connections. I'm a fan of John Doyle from his recordings with The Alt and his singing helped to break up all the instrumental pieces. Nice song about the Edinburgh grave robbers (and murderers) Burke and Hare.

It was more or less a full house which was good to see and staff were stopping people from filming the gig. And no-one was talking during the show! Not that I heard anyway.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
JohnP69

« Reply #2042 on: February 26, 2024, 05:22:54 PM »

Stewart Lee at Scunthorpe Baths Hall.
2 hours of fantastic comedy as you'd expect.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2043 on: February 26, 2024, 05:23:57 PM »

Stewart Lee at Scunthorpe Baths Hall.
2 hours of fantastic comedy as you'd expect.

We're seeing him in Chester on Sat week, which I'm looking forward to immensely.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2044 on: February 29, 2024, 05:08:25 PM »

Show of Hands at the Acapela, Pentyrch, last night. Excellent show. Loads of (very) old stuff, some of which I had never heard live before and some I hadn't heard for a long time (e.g. 'The Dive', which is one of my favourites) Some funny tales of life on the road over the past 30 odd years, rounding off the show with the glorious 'Cousin Jack'. Some songs that I would have liked to have been included that were absent. But, they could have played twice as long and I'd still have wanted more. I'm going to miss them.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #2045 on: March 01, 2024, 03:55:54 PM »

Malcolm MacWatt at Twickenham.  Scottish Americana.  A new name to me, but very enjoyable and well worth a listen.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2046 on: March 09, 2024, 12:23:09 AM »

Just home from Fairport at Tewkesbury... Superb!

Flobbadob!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2047 on: March 09, 2024, 11:31:10 AM »

Marty Willson-Piper has been to see Jethro Tull https://martywillson-piper.com/2024/03/to-where-i-am-now-1479/?fbclid=IwAR2QtnMjtwnMwHKVqBBgkABTGX3tQTc6lxkTpn3a74bDfETFzr57Vk0nN_I

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PJayBe

« Reply #2048 on: March 09, 2024, 11:50:50 AM »

Just home from Fairport at Tewkesbury... Superb!

Saw them in Bridgnorth last week, fab night and Nick & Michelle were an excellent support.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2049 on: March 13, 2024, 07:01:02 PM »

Justin Hayward at Swansea Grand Theatre last night. This is the third time I've seen him outside of the now defunct Moody Blues. It was great to hear the old favourites as well as some Moodies stuff that I hadn't seen live for many years (Driftwood, In My World, Blue World) plus 'Blue Guitar' from the Blue Jays days.

The backing musicians were excellent, including the very talented Mike Dawes on guitar and Julie Ragins, who toured several times with the Moodies, on keyboards.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2050 on: March 14, 2024, 11:54:04 AM »

Spiers and Boden were on great form at the Exeter Phoenix last night.  A good selection from their recent album, and a bunch of oldies too.  Definitely worth catching if they are passing by you.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2051 on: March 14, 2024, 10:12:30 PM »

Looking forward to seeing them in Swansea tomorrow.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PJayBe

« Reply #2052 on: March 14, 2024, 11:34:21 PM »

Justin Hayward at Swansea Grand Theatre last night. This is the third time I've seen him outside of the now defunct Moody Blues. It was great to hear the old favourites as well as some Moodies stuff that I hadn't seen live for many years (Driftwood, In My World, Blue World) plus 'Blue Guitar' from the Blue Jays days.

The backing musicians were excellent, including the very talented Mike Dawes on guitar and Julie Ragins, who toured several times with the Moodies, on keyboards.

Seeing him in New Brighton at month's end, really looking forward to it.  Saw him and "his band" back in 1985 and it was  a great evening.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2053 on: March 15, 2024, 11:48:10 PM »

Spiers and Boden were on great form at the Exeter Phoenix last night.  A good selection from their recent album, and a bunch of oldies too.  Definitely worth catching if they are passing by you.

We saw them this evening at the Taliesin in Swansea. A few sound woes, but in general, a brilliant and enjoyable evening.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2054 on: March 17, 2024, 11:41:27 PM »

Back from seeing Show of Hands at Settle. They each did a cover of a song which had been an early influence with Phil choosing Sally Free and Easy from Davy Graham's Folk, Blues and Beyond album. Steve did a Dylan number.

Gonna miss seeing those guys on stage together but the audience was in good voice for a final singalong to Cousin Jack and they ended with what must have been a hastily rehearsed Make Me Smile (Come up and See Me) in tribute to Steve Harley.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2055 on: March 19, 2024, 07:07:17 PM »

Not quite the usual thing, on here, but we saw Rob Brydon’s Night of Music and Laughter recently. He had a band and told stories from his life, adding some songs.

I had been warned not to get tickets in the front rows and I could see why, as he incorporated some of the people into his routines. Not everyone’s cup of tea to be subjected to that  Grin

It was entertaining, I found the comedy better than the music, simply because it mostly wasn’t quite my genre, but he does have a cracking voice.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: