TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2019, 11:13:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Beatles book...  (Read 7281 times)
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

Having read so many books on the Beatles I am more than familiar with most of the details of the story. It will be interesting to see what Lewisohn, for whom I have a lot of respect, brings to the genre.

In the short term however I think I am more interested in this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Run-Paul-McCartney-1970s/dp/1846972396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378119989&sr=1-1&keywords=man+on+the+run

There was an excerpt from it in this month's Mojo magazine and at least it covers a period and subject matter that nobody has really attempted before and a potentially interesting one at that.

Thanks for advising this one. I've got a 12 month backlog of Mojos to read, so I'd have probably missed this. Like you, I've read many books on The Fabs, so this one, and the "All These Years" will inevitably end up on my shelves.

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

In the short term however I think I am more interested in this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Run-Paul-McCartney-1970s/dp/1846972396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378119989&sr=1-1&keywords=man+on+the+run

There was an excerpt from it in this month's Mojo magazine and at least it covers a period and subject matter that nobody has really attempted before and a potentially interesting one at that.

That does look interesting.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »

I've had time to think about it now and I'm wondering where I'll find the energy to wade through the whole familiar story all over again, from the beginning.

IMHO, Ian Macdonald's Revolution in the Head is the defining text on the Beatles music and the wider social/cultural context. In addition, numerous biographies have familiarised us with all we will probably ever need to know about what made John, Paul, George & Ringo tick.

But Lewisohn says: "And I've been researching this story since the 1970s. And the moment you start digging, the more you start finding gold. And you keep finding gold. I mean the Beatles story is remarkable because no matter how deep you dig, you still find gold."

Depends how you define 'gold', I suppose, and Lewisohn's not giving away anything specific, as far as I can see.

He says that he'll “not just find just one person who saw them in the Cavern, but find 25, and look at it from all points of view." That rings alarm bells for me - the book may contain new interviews and revelations from key players but it could also equally be 1000 pages filled with 'points of view'. If that's the case and if, as Davidmjs suggests - only half-jokingly, I suspect - it is also filled with trivia such as what George had for lunch on any given day, will it really add anything of value to the sum total of everything we already know about the Beatles?

Volume 3 will take the story through to "probably the early 1970s." Presumably to cover Apple, the lawsuits and the general aftermath. But I would suggest the 'aftermath' is still with us today. If the books are going to cover 'before there were Beatles' in such depth, shouldn't they cover 'after there were Beatles' too? Paul and Ringo are still very much alive and well and making music today. Who knows what else they may do/say/reveal in the years to come? Macdonalds's book was subtitled The Beatles' Records and the Sixties and ended, appropriately enough, with the breakup of the band. If Lewisohn wants to write "the first proper telling of the group's story" as he calls it, he'll be writing forever, or, at least, until all the major participants have passed on and the bottom of the lost recordings barrel has been well and truly scraped.

Anway, having said all that, he is, of course, at liberty to write what he wants, when he wants and good luck to the bloke. Will I buy it? Of course I will! I'll buy it and read it from cover to cover and no doubt enjoy it.

Once I've found the energy...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »

I've had time to think about it now and I'm wondering where I'll find the energy to wade through the whole familiar story all over again, from the beginning.

I know what you mean.  I still haven't found the energy to read through the recent(ish) Uncut Beatles special magazine.  But something tells me this one will be worth savouring, despite many of us feeling like we know the whole story backwards.  I hope so anyway.

The flipside of the coin - I was reading some of the pages at The Beatles Bible ("Not quite as popular as Jesus") website the other day, and I found loads of fascinating things on there.  And the way their history is set out on their pages is very user-friendly:-

http://www.beatlesbible.com/history/

I'm sure Lewisohn will have been using this site as resource, just as they clearly used his previous books to compile their webpages.

Jules

leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

So as someone who loves the Beatles but hasn't read any of the books on them, what would be a good book to choose to go for (and not Lewisohes (or whatever his name is)? Thanks

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

So as someone who loves the Beatles but hasn't read any of the books on them, what would be a good book to choose to go for (and not Lewisohes (or whatever his name is)? Thanks

Depends.  For song and music insight, get Revolution In The Head.  For their story, maybe Shout! or Can't Buy Me Love.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »

Depends.  For song and music insight, get Revolution In The Head.  For their story, maybe Shout! or Can't Buy Me Love.

Jules

Hunter Davies's official bio is always a good starting point, written with their co-operation and published while they were still together. My personal favourite is You Never Give Me Your Money by Peter Doggett, utterly fascinating and a real page turner but as it is about the acrimonious Apple years you have to be prepared for some tainting of the mop top image. Nobody comes out of it with much credit.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

Hunter Davies's official bio is always a good starting point, written with their co-operation and published while they were still together.

Hmmm, it's a bit dated, and only goes up to 1967 or so.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »

Hunter Davies's official bio is always a good starting point, written with their co-operation and published while they were still together.

Hmmm, it's a bit dated, and only goes up to 1967 or so.

Jules

Hence nominating it as a starting point. It is the gateway drug to the addictive world of Beatle literature.
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »

Start with Revolution in the Head. Go straight to 'Part 1 - Going Up' and by the end you'll have read something about every track they ever recorded and released. This book is primarily focused on the music but there are plenty of other appetite-whetting references contained within its pages and it's a great read.

If you want all the 'gossip', there are loads of books out there, but, to be honest, a quick read of the individual wiki biographies for J, P, G & R will probably tell you all you really need to know about who they were and how they came to be who they came to be.

Context is all... so I'd then go back and read the 'Introduction' to Revolution in the Head...

And, if none of that works, I've got the complete Anthology series on VHS - yours for a tenner plus P&P!

Smiley
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »

100 per cent positive review of the book in the Times today. The reviewer voiced concern about whether there's anything new to say or not but still declared it a 'triumph'. Saw my first actual copy today (in Waterstone's) and would have walked out with it there and then but for the fact that Christmas is coming...  Roll Eyes
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

So you only shoplift when it's not nearly Christmas? How very spiritual of you.  Wink

Well I never did..
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:30 AM »

Grin

...would have walked out with it there and then but for the fact that the security guard was coming...

Hang on - I ain't no tea leaf!  Angry
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 02:38:53 AM »

By the way, there's a song by Wesley Stace a.k.a. John Wesley Harding, called 'Famous Man', that I still think is the best song about - or at least best response to - Lennon's murder that I've ever heard. Forget Roxy Music covering Jealous Guy - this is not a tribute - or Empty Garden by Elton John. I've been singing this song for years and I don't even have a copy of it, the original recording being hard to find. I learned it off the telly - very folky! - having recorded (on VHS!) a performance introduced by Billy Bragg on some long-forgotten late night music show. Here are the lyrics:

Mother, last night I shot a famous man
His music, his life, I was his greatest fan
Mother, I'm sorry for all the things that I did
I've been hiding it all of my life, should've kept it still hid
Should've kept it still hid

Ain't it funny the things a man does cos he knows that he can
When I raise my voice, it's a small feeble sound in the wind
To make yourself heard in this big bad world, you must know where to begin
You must know where to begin

But today I can't say it all went according to plan
He just looked at me, he stared me straight in the eyes
Now I know how he felt every day til he died
Every day til he died

Mother, well now people listen to me
I'm the King of America, some say that I'm the King of Comedy
Mother, now that I know what it means to be heard
I wish I put down my gun, like he put down his guitar
And I wish that I'd swallowed my words
Wished I'd swallowed my words

Mother, I knew him, but he never knew me
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »

I heard an interview with Mark Lewisohn on Danny Baker's radio show yesterday. Apparently he hasn't started writing the second volume yet and expects it to take about 6 years! No hurry to read this one then.

By the time the project is finished it will be 2025. That'll give me something to do in my retirement.
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »

By the time the project is finished it will be 2025. That'll give me something to do in my retirement.

Means I'll be reading it when I'm 64...

Smiley
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 12:44:58 PM »

So, the extended hard cover edition comes out this week, still priced at £74 on Amazon (£29.99 Kindle).

Will it be a false economy to buy the standard edition if the price of the extended edition falls over time? Or, indeed, if the extended edition is later published in paperback at a more reasonable price?

Decisions, decisions...

Shame Amazon couldn't let the bloke who priced the John Martyn box set have a go at this book.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »

Thirty quid for a kindle book....yeah, righto   Shocked

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

Thirty quid for a kindle book....yeah, righto   Shocked

I know! And I don't think it's even a hardcover...  Shocked  Shocked
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »

So, the extended hard cover edition comes out this week, still priced at £74 on Amazon (£29.99 Kindle).

Will it be a false economy to buy the standard edition if the price of the extended edition falls over time? Or, indeed, if the extended edition is later published in paperback at a more reasonable price?

Decisions, decisions...

Shame Amazon couldn't let the bloke who priced the John Martyn box set have a go at this book.

My feelings exactly.

Come on, Addie, find us all a copy going "cheep".

Jules

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: