TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 20, 2019, 10:42:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Beatles book...  (Read 8361 times)
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« on: September 01, 2013, 12:53:57 AM »

I love the Beatles but had no idea this was in the pipeline.

http://www.examiner.com/article/it-won-t-be-long-author-mark-lewisohn-shows-off-first-copies-of-new-beatles-bio

Now I do, I honestly don't know what to think. Over to you...
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »

What more is there to tell?? The Beatles must be the band with the most books devoted to them, by a country mile. However, it looks like a mammoth project and Mark Lewisohn is a "respected author" so maybe he has unearthed some gems that no-one else has. I still think you have to go a long way to beat Philip Norman's 'Shout', though.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33:31 AM »

Quote "The thing to remember is that everything about this project is big" Guess that will mean the price too...

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »

Quote "The thing to remember is that everything about this project is big" Guess that will mean the price too...

Around £18 for the standard hardback edition, which I can justify, and £74 for the extended version, which I certainly can't.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »

Lewisohn's previous books on the subject have definitely been scholarly and readable.  I strongly suspect this will become the definitive text, although that probably depends on how reverential he is in tone.  I'm hopeful.

Think I'll go for a signed numbered standard edition, myself, then wrap it in cotton wool and put it in the pension pile while obtaining the download of the extended edition to read.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »

Lewisohn's previous books on the subject have definitely been scholarly and readable.  I strongly suspect this will become the definitive text, although that probably depends on how reverential he is in tone.  I'm hopeful.

Think I'll go for a signed numbered standard edition, myself, then wrap it in cotton wool and put it in the pension pile while obtaining the download of the extended edition to read.

I know the man is a true scholar, I just hope his writing isn't too "dry" (ie dull).  His writing certainly suits factual reference books about the Fabs, but can he capture the excitement?

Oh, and David - drop me a line if you succeed in finding that download.  £72, my arse.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »

I know the man is a true scholar, I just hope his writing isn't too "dry" (ie dull).  His writing certainly suits factual reference books about the Fabs, but can he capture the excitement?

Oh, and David - drop me a line if you succeed in finding that download.  £72, my arse.

Jules

Well, I was actually talking about the Kindle purchase this time, Jules...(so £29.99, my arse...)  Smiley

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

Well, I was actually talking about the Kindle purchase this time, Jules...(so £29.99, my arse...)  Smiley

Ah well, yes, [ahem] that may be the way to go.

Jules

David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »

A quick look on Amazon reveals that the prices quoted by Col D were £30 to £18, and £130 to £74.40. I could maybe justify the extra cost for twice the pages. Not sure I would want to pay so much extra for the autograph. I'm guessing that will be Lewisohns. John, Ringo and Georges might be a bit difficult to obtain.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »

A quick look on Amazon reveals that the prices quoted by Col D were £30 to £18, and £130 to £74.40. I could maybe justify the extra cost for twice the pages. Not sure I would want to pay so much extra for the autograph.

The signed, numbered copy (of the standard edition) is 'only' £24 (plus p&p presumably) which seems fairly reasonable if that sort of thing floats your boat

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

Wait 6 months and pick it up for£0.01p +£2.80p&p on amazon marketplace

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »

Wait 6 months and pick it up for£0.01p +£2.80p&p on amazon marketplace

I think you'll be lucky in this instance.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »

Blimey, it is whopping isn't it? Over 1000 pages.

Much as I love the fabs and will generally read anything I can get hold of about them, I think getting on for 4000 pages by the time all three volumes are published might prove beyond me.
David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »

Blimey, it is whopping isn't it? Over 1000 pages.

Much as I love the fabs and will generally read anything I can get hold of about them, I think getting on for 4000 pages by the time all three volumes are published might prove beyond me.

Jeez, I'd forgotten there will be three volumes. Thats some reading... Can there really be much in there that we don't already know?

Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

Jules

I had the same thought. (The Complete Beatles Chronicle is full of facts, but dispassionate.) Then I remembered I'd read Lewisohn's biography of Benny Hill. The writing in that book was warm and witty and full of critical insights that projected the author's personality. Hopefully he'll use the same voice when writing about Sarky, Larky, George & Starkey.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »

Jeez, I'd forgotten there will be three volumes. Thats some reading... Can there really be much in there that we don't already know?

I think it's more a case of making sure that every known date and fact is documented in the one place.  It'll be very all-inclusive!

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »

Hopefully he'll use the same voice when writing about Sarky, Larky, George & Starkey.

Grin

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »

I think this first volume only takes one up to Love Me Do, doesn't it?  Cripes.  

And George ate what at school on 15th Sept 1954?

David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »

I think this first volume only takes one up to Love Me Do, doesn't it?  Cripes.  

And George ate what at school on 15th Sept 1954?

Hopefully some birthday cake. I was 6 that very day... lol

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »

Having read so many books on the Beatles I am more than familiar with most of the details of the story. It will be interesting to see what Lewisohn, for whom I have a lot of respect, brings to the genre.

In the short term however I think I am more interested in this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Run-Paul-McCartney-1970s/dp/1846972396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378119989&sr=1-1&keywords=man+on+the+run

There was an excerpt from it in this month's Mojo magazine and at least it covers a period and subject matter that nobody has really attempted before and a potentially interesting one at that.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: