TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 14, 2019, 04:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who gets what from the sale of a CD  (Read 25107 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »

Interesting article on the BBC News website about the breakdown of income from the sale of an £8 CD...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23840744

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »

I would be interested to know how it works out for CDs bought direct from the artist at a gig for instance. How much of that £10 or £12 do they actually see?

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

Agent

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:01:33 AM »

It depends on the artist Tim. As an example, we are unsigned so get 100% of the £10 we charge for albums at gigs. However, we had to pay up front for all the costs associated with making the CD and only broke even when we sold around 400 CDs. Signed artists will get differing amounts depending on their deal. Selling through shops and online is different again. Digital downloads are pretty straightforward - iTunes charge us (again as unsigned) an annual flat fee (not much) and then we get everything we sell. It will be different for labels selling online through iTunes/Amazon etc I expect.

There are many advantages nowadays in doing it yourself - crowd funding is especially good if you have a fan base (ask Ollie!) as you are essentially selling pre-orders to finance your record. However, the biggest advantage of being signed is the PR and radio plugging that comes with it. It's all very well making a record, getting people to listen to it is the problem!

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »

As a 'signed' artist I am able to buy CDs from the record co at £5 plus Vat each = £6 per copy.And I have to pay for them up front for those.
 I don't get royalties from those that I buy so I have to sell them to make up for that. Plus I have to buy packaging and post them when they are bought directly from me via my shop. I do hardly any live gigs so I sell very few that way. And there's always the chance that they may get lost in the post..

All in all people might as well buy from Amazon or direct from the record co or any of the other online outlets.
 Undecided

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

Going back a few years but:

1000 off CD (CD, 16 page booklet, case, tray, glass master) = £1000
I did once get sent the wrong invoice for 10,000 off and it was 34p ea.

Recording is the expense and if you want a product that is going to get air play, it has to be professionally mastered and look good.
So maybe £10K.

Generally a distributer would give you £4 or so, but could send them back to you.

Some very nice shops, like HMV Oxford Street would buy direct from the artist at a 30% discount.
CDs sold directly or at gigs are the way to go.

To play with the big boys, get played on national radio and proper distribution, you had to sell about 2,500 copies to break even.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »

Crowdfunding is great. I've got just shy of £3000's worth of pre-orders for my album - there is no way I'd ever be able to save up that sort of money to make an album. It will be coming out on a co-operative deal with a label. Not sure whether this means I'm signed or not. Tongue They take 30% of all sales from their website (a lot easier than setting up my own online shop and having to deal with all the postage), but I get 100% of everything that I sell at gigs. Not sure what's going on with iTunes etc.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
geeeaidan
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »

Think of it like this, How much has to be split between a £1 download haha, or even worse a 5p per stream..

Nobody makes money off selling music anymore

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/9-ways-musicians-actually-make-money-today-20120828
Simon spoons
n3wb

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

I got my last prs statement a while back. in one territory in Europe I had 8500 streams...I got 36p

indeed very difficult to make any money - but hey emotionally rich Smiley

Have fun learning spoons with the most comprehensive spoon course available.
www.learnspoons.com
jimc

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:55 PM »

I got my last prs statement a while back. in one territory in Europe I had 8500 streams...I got 36p

Mmm, but you can be satisfied with the feeling that a bunch of rich executives have got even richer on the back of your efforts, which I'm sure gives you a nice full feeling in, well, nowhere really...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: