TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2019, 03:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindisfarne are back again  (Read 3306 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

Thanks to the the good folks on the list ive just seen that Lindisfarne,or rather Ray Jackson's Lindisfarne are back
it's a line up full of ex members and on drums "The Great Paul Thompson"! as us old Roxy fans know and love him. for more info  
 http://lindisfarne.co.uk/

The Dude abides
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »

Paul Thompson, great indeed.
No good for us soft southerners, however.

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »

As a huge Lindisfarne fan I'm in 2 minds about this.  It's been a full decade since the band 'finally' split. Ray Jackson hadn't been involved since 1990 and had declared that he was happy to leave things in the past.  There appears to have been some acrimony between him and one or two other ex members that are noticeable by their absence from this line up.  The Billy Mitchell Band, with Ray Laidlaw on drums have been touring for a while now and have a show called 'The Lindisfarne Story' which tells the story of the band through chat and songs and includes a full rendition of the 'Fog on the Tyne' album.  Interestingly enough Rod Clements, who hadn't been involved in any Lindisfarne related activity since the split is billed as a special guest when Billy's band play at Newcastle City Hall next month.  This whole 'Ray Jackson's Lindisfarne' reminds me of those other bands who have split into more than one entity - John Lees' Barclay James Harvest, for example.  It may work out fine for all concerned but I have a feeling it may cause a deeper rift - hope I'm proved wrong.  By the way Nick, Ray Jackson has said the band will be touring throughout 2014, so they may be appearing at a theatre near you!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

Can't agree more.

I'm going to the Newcastle 'reunion', wouldn't miss it for the world!
But I wonder whether any of the reformed band will be present?....

Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »

After Alan Hull, Ray Jackson 'was' Lindisfarne for me: At the long lemented Newcastle Christmas concerts wh pas always the most entertaining.

Last year I saw 'accoustic gathering', and Ray played a few Lindisfarne hits then, so he still has an attachment to the music.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »

Paul Thompson is definitely a cool addition... Loved him on Eno and Manzanera's 801 project.

I'm sure they won't make it over to the U.S., unfortunately, but I'm really hoping for a live album or DVD (studio album, even?) in the future!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »

Thanks to the the good folks on the list ive just seen that Lindisfarne,or rather Ray Jackson's Lindisfarne are back
it's a line up full of ex members and on drums "The Great Paul Thompson"! as us old Roxy fans know and love him. for more info  
 http://lindisfarne.co.uk/

Ah we're back to,' does one one original member constitute a band?'
I am an old f**t. For me Lindisfarne died when Alan Hull died.
If remaining original members got together I might have a look but this just appears to be Jackson using the name. The Gathering under a different title.
We all live on memories don't we? I remember one night with the original band, Man Uni, early 70's when they played their socks off and i was blown away. A really tight band with every member contributing to the whole.
Don't want to muddy that memory
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »

Soz for double post but this made me search out past members.
Simon Cowe happily ran his micro brewery in Toronto with v little interest in the band. or music come to that.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »

I'm with you on that one Dave. For me a Lindisfarne line-up without Hull just wasn't Lindisfarne.
For a brief period in the early seventies, I would go so far as to say he was Britain's best song writer, and is much missed.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »

The lindisfane stuff was the best bit of the gatherings shows and jacka is still a natural frontman so i'm quite happy for him to go out using the name,yes it would be nice if rod clements,ray laidlaw  and si cowe were involved but they aren't and the old material needs playing live.

The Dude abides
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »

Well, I saw the final version of the band with Rod Clements, Ray Laidlaw, Billy Mitchell, Dave Hull Denholm (Alan's son in law) and Ian Thomson many times until the split in 1973. In my opinion they were an absolutely storming live band and produced a couple of brilliant studio albums (Here Comes the Neighbourhood and Promenade) which showed they weren't just living off past glories.  This was mostly due to having a first class songwriter in Rod Clements. Unfortunately there isn't a comparable talent in Jacka's new band and I think they WILL be living off past glories.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »

Picked up a copy of "Fog on the The Tyne - The official history of Lindisfarne" by Dave Ian Hill (pub in '98) in Bridport today for a quid.  It looks like its going in the £15-£25 quid price range on Abe/eBay.  Before I consider flogging it, has anybody here actually read it?  It looks promising, but I'm so past slogging through yet another shite band biog...any advice most welcome?!

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »

Picked up a copy of "Fog on the The Tyne - The official history of Lindisfarne" by Dave Ian Hill (pub in '98) in Bridport today for a quid.  It looks like its going in the £15-£25 quid price range on Abe/eBay.  Before I consider flogging it, has anybody here actually read it?  It looks promising, but I'm so past slogging through yet another shite band biog...any advice most welcome?!

I've bought loads of stuff thinking I might make a good profit on that and I can only think of one that I've sold!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »

I've bought loads of stuff thinking I might make a good profit on that and I can only think of one that I've sold!

Buying a book where the cheapest copy online is over £15, and one paid a quid for it, is a fairly sure way of making a decent profit.  I've done it for a living (of sorts) so I kind of know what I'm doing  Wink  

Tbh, I'm more interested in knowing whether I should read the thing first.  I need something to wipe the memory of some of the hideous Fairport related books I've been wading through for a little writing project I've got.  

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »

I've read it. As you say, it was published in 1998, so it ends with the release of 'Here Comes the Neighbourhood' in that year. I don't know if my view is coloured by the fact that I'm a huge fan, but I think it's a pretty decent read.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »

I've read it. As you say, it was published in 1998, so it ends with the release of 'Here Comes the Neighbourhood' in that year. I don't know if my view is coloured by the fact that I'm a huge fan, but I think it's a pretty decent read.

Thanks, Mick...I'll give it a go  Smiley

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »

So … it's about time this thread was brought up to date. Jacka has gone, but Rod Clements is back in. What do folks think of this latest line up? Folk-rock fans have yet another chance to go to a band's 50th anniversary tour next year and I'm tempted to go for the first time since the "Neighbourhood" tour.
wayne stote

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »

They are excellent. Full value for money as ever, playing a nice mix of classics, deep cuts and Alan Hull solo material. Charlie Harcourt has recently retired from the band through ill health so they are back to being a quintet.

The recent live album, Real Live, will give you a flavour of what they are doing at the moment. It's a double CD featuring 24 tracks:

CD1

No Time To Lose
Song For A Windmill
All Fall Down
Lady Eleanor
United States Of Mind
Why Can't I Be Satisfied
Never Miss The Water
Road To Kingdom Come
Whisky Highway
January Song
Fog On The Tyne
Run For Home

CD 2

Alright On The Night
Wake Up Little Sister
Numbers (Travelling Band)
Walk A Crooked Mile
Coming Good
City Song
Winter Song
One World
Don't Ask Me
We Can Swing Together
Meet Me On The Corner

Going to see them again in December. Really looking forward to it!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »

They are indeed an excellent live band.
Singer Dave Hull-Denholm has a remarkably similar voice to the late Alan Hull.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »

They are indeed an excellent live band.
Singer Dave Hull-Denholm has a remarkably similar voice to the late Alan Hull.

Son?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: