TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:18:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterboys Fisherman's Blues sessions box  (Read 84093 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »

Box arrived today and sadly I have to say, that this is one if the worst sounding/loudest/brightest cds I have ever bought

Oh dear. I was listening on my hi fi today and thought it sounded less brittle than on my Ipod yesterday but there was still definite distortion on a couple of tracks as if they had just been mastered too loud. Hmmm. May have to consider my options here before the box is dispatched.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »

add to my previous post: aggresive denoising. oh god, oh god, everything they could do wrong they did do wrong....
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

Oh dear.

I'm still having it.  This is probably the only chance we'll ever have to hear this stuff.  But I'm going to have to remaster it as best I can using audio editing software.

I really want Mike to know about these issues, but I don't want to break his heart, you know?   Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »

I don't think you will get satisfactory results. I record my own music and use Nuendo and Wavelab nearly daily, but you cant undo that kind of brickwalling.

Alex
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »

I really want Mike to know about these issues, but I don't want to break his heart, you know?   Sad

Jules

I think he would want to know. It begs the question about who made the mastering decisions. Presumably not him so what on earth is the point of doing it?
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

I'm interested in hearing it now just to hear what a "brickwalled" album sounds like.

Like Jim, this is all new to me. Perhaps my ears have already been damaged too much to notice  Smiley

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

Bollox.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »

Sounds like Steve Wilson's services are required!

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »

I absolutely refuse to believe it has hit the market without him exercising control over the mastering.  He must have signed it off.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »

Never heard of Brickwalling before, started looking for clips and saw there are many, here are a couple, never realised it could be as bad as that. I had always assumed remastering was to enhance the sound. I am glad I never replaced my lp's for cd's.

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/3Gmex_4hreQ

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/A64rlrlPGV4

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »

Never heard of Brickwalling before, started looking for clips and saw there are many, here are a couple, never realised it could be as bad as that. I had always assumed remastering was to enhance the sound. I am glad I never replaced my lp's for cd's.
Replacing lps for cds has nothing to do with this problem. These clips are talking about mastering applied to new music, in order to make the tracks be as loud (or louder) on the radio as those from other artists.

The conversion of analog to digital has its own problems depending on the sampling rate used, but since they're not really worried about radio play, the remastering engineers are less likely to apply the type of sound compression illustrated in those clips, whose premise is, "what if the music was being mastered today in the interests of promoting airplay?"
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/3Gmex_4hreQ

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/A64rlrlPGV4

Don't be fooled into thinking it's always like this.  Many CD remasters are superb.  It depends upon the mastering, and the engineers doing it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2013, 05:43:52 AM »

Replacing lps for cds has nothing to do with this problem. These clips are talking about mastering applied to new music, in order to make the tracks be as loud (or louder) on the radio as those from other artists.

Its not just new music. Its nearly all of the new Remasters of old CDs that come out on the regular labels in the last 10 years.
Ronald

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »

So it is just bad engineering, why do they think it is better, the examples I heard where awful, all depth is lost and it takes the life out of it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:52:15 AM by Ronald » Logged
richardkendell

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »

Compressed music is often preferred in cars and on ipods etc where outside noise drowns out quiet passages hence their boosting on remastered tracks. I would settle for fiddling with the dynamic range on MP3 if they left the original recordings more or less unchanged. Some remasters are excellent eg Buddy Holly From The Original Masters but all too many are not. As more and more people use ipods as their only musical source/reference I fear the compressed sound will be regarded as "normal" and we are set for a compressed downward trend.
Has anyone heard the Fisherman's Blues CDs, are they as compressed as the MP3 or better?
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »

The original CD from 1987 is good. If you mean the box: Im only takling about the CDs as we in germany have not got the mp3s.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »

So it is just bad engineering, why do they think it is better, the examples I heard where awful, all depth is lost and it takes the life out of it.

I'm pretty sure those clips were deliberately exaggerated to help make the point. I can't imagine an engineer actually compressing to that point ... at least, I hope not.
And again, it's not "bad" engineering ... it's intentional due to producers thinking it will help sell product.
Ronald

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure those clips were deliberately exaggerated to help make the point. I can't imagine an engineer actually compressing to that point ... at least, I hope not.
And again, it's not "bad" engineering ... it's intentional due to producers thinking it will help sell product.

In the meantime I have read a bit about it and it is clear that the compression is done for a purpose but not everybody is happy with the result.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

i got another email from amazon yesterday informing me that it's been delayed yet further until approx 21-23rd Nov

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »

i got another email from amazon yesterday informing me that it's been delayed yet further until approx 21-23rd Nov

Yes, me too. I wonder if this is anything to do with the complaints about the mastering of the Mp3 files & boxes that have already been sent out in Europe? Is there any chance they have decided to go back and re-do it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: