TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:55:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287028 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #400 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »

"Kinfauns"??

Was this Lennon's reply when asked what baby deer were called?

Anyroad, I won't be tempted to buy a megaPepperbox. Not when there's another Krim box mooted for the autumn...

Flobbadob!
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #401 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »

Two thoughts. First. I bet the price for so many items will be mouthwateringly high. Second. If all this is being made available for Sgt. Pepper, I wonder how many items will suddenly become available for next years celebration of The White Album/The Beatles.

I'm sure it's going to be stupidly expensive.

I'm also betting they'll do The White Album, they'll probably take the opportunity to release the famous Kinfauns demos.

Lots of folks wanting to know if the Carnival Of Light recording will make the Pepper box.  What's the betting that it won't?

Jules

I'm more interested in a White Album box if I have to stump up serious money, it was a period of great diversity and creativity in my book. I've not heard of the Kinfauns demos, I'll do some Googling!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #402 on: April 04, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »

"Kinfauns"??
See https://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/05/24/demo-recordings-for-the-white-album/

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #403 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »

Sometimes I am very glad I am not a completist.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »

Sometimes I am very glad I am not a completist.
Hee hee. Try googling "Beatles Purple Chick AB Road"

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »

Ludicrous UK pricing again. £140.

Hop over to Amazon Italy and it is €98. Not yet visible on Amazon Germany which is my usual fallback when rip off Britain comes into play. Sadly, probably only an option for another two years.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:18:57 AM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »

Hop over to Amazon Italy and it is €98. Not yet visible on Amazon Germany which is my usual fallback when rip off Britain comes into play. Sadly, probablyonly an option for another two years.

Aye, you ain't seen nothing yet...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

Hop over to Amazon Italy and it is €98. Not yet visible on Amazon Germany which is my usual fallback when rip off Britain comes into play. Sadly, probablyonly an option for another two years.

Aye, you ain't seen nothing yet...

Shouldn't that be in a "More Bachman Turner Overdrive to collect" thread?  Wink

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

Hop over to Amazon Italy and it is €98. Not yet visible on Amazon Germany which is my usual fallback when rip off Britain comes into play. Sadly, probably only an option for another two years.

£100 at the official Beatles online store. Still cheaper at Amazon Italy but let the UK price war begin. Amazon UK will have to respond to this.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #409 on: April 08, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »

£99.99 for the Sgt Pepper big box from Badlands in Chelt. (Pre-) orders being taken now.

Flobbadob!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »

as a slightly off topic note Stuart Sutcliffe, artist and Beatle, died 55 years ago today, at 21.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »

£99.99 for the Sgt Pepper big box from Badlands in Chelt. (Pre-) orders being taken now.

Shame it doesn't contain "Carnival of Light". Or maybe we're better of without it.

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #412 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »

Shame it doesn't contain "Carnival of Light". Or maybe we're better of without it.

There is a lot of rather hysterical discussion of this elsewhere on the Web. I suspect that we are indeed better off without it. Revolution 9 exists. Why would we need something allegedly even more unlistenable?

I am quite excited about the box (if it can be had for sensible money) but I don't subscribe to the lunatic fringe view that every second the Beatles spent in the studio is a holy relic which we have a divine right to hear.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »

If you play Let it Be backwards it says ( allegedly).
Look we can get people to pay £100 for really bad recordings of stuff they already have!
Help backwards says(allegedly)
Look we can get people to pay£100 for inane noodlings that we thought was too **** to publish!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

Let It Be is an interesting case in point. Do you prefer the album as issued originally - one might call it the accepted, they got it right version - or the one put out years later at the bass player's insistence, which is what it was supposed to sound like?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »

Let It Be is an interesting case in point. Do you prefer the album as issued originally - one might call it the accepted, they got it right version - or the one put out years later at the bass player's insistence, which is what it was supposed to sound like?

Neither.  I prefer the one I put together myself using these and other sources.  Nobody's got that album exactly right yet.  All the variations, official and unofficial, are flawed in some way or other.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »

Nobody's got that album exactly right yet.  All the variations, official and unofficial, are flawed in some way or other.
Jules

Hence the ongoing market for remixes, remasters and reissues?
Isn't this where we came in?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »

Look we can get people to pay £100 for really bad recordings of stuff they already have!
Look we can get people to pay£100 for inane noodlings that we thought was too **** to publish!

I wouldn't pay £100 for it at all and it is also not the out takes that interest me, though I suspect that they are far from inane noodlings, being the building blocks towards the final songs which as a one off listen should be fascinating.

My enthusiasm is for the contemporary stereo remix, the 5.1 mix, the video elements and the book. Needs to get down somewhere close to £70 though and it probably won't. Britain will remain one of the most expensive places in the Western world in which to buy it.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »

I wouldn't pay £100 for it at all and it is also not the out takes that interest me, though I suspect that they are far from inane noodlings, being the building blocks towards the final songs which as a one off listen should be fascinating.

My enthusiasm is for the contemporary stereo remix, the 5.1 mix, the video elements and the book. Needs to get down somewhere close to £70 though and it probably won't. Britain will remain one of the most expensive places in the Western world in which to buy it.

or just dont.
much prefer Spector's LIB to Macca's, and i never thought i would say that until i heard Paulie's version

The Dude abides
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #419 on: April 11, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »

Got to love these French... This is a somewhat long winded extract from Amazon.fr description. Quite interesting, especially the translation of the word "Pepper"... Grammatical or spelling mistakes, please contact Google Translate. lol

'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 'is the biggest rock album ever made by the biggest rock & roll band of all time. A work whose concept, sound, composition, cover and studio technology are still unmatched. '
Rolling Stone Magazine

After their decision to stop shooting, the Beatles shut themselves up in the studio between December 1966 and April 1967 to record the album that will prove to be their masterpiece: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Released on June 1, 1967, it is a real bomb that will transform the way of recording. The way to collect a rock album is upset by Sgt. Pepper. June 1, 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the release of this mythical album. On this occasion the album was completely remixed by Giles Martin. This is the first time a Beatles album has been remixed, and it is also the first time that a Beatles album has been reissued in multi-format.

Super Deluxe edition contents:
CD 1: Sgt. Pepper Remix 2017
CD 2: Complete Outtakes / Alternative Versions in the order in which the titles were recorded (Includes Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane)
CD 3: Complete Outtakes / Alternative Versions in the order in which the titles were recorded (Includes Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane)
CD 4: Album in mono mix
DVD: Making Of Sgt. Pepper (1997 documentary only broadcast in England). Mix 5.1 of the album
Blu-Ray Video: Making Of Sgt. Pepper (1997 documentary only broadcast in England). Mix 5.1 of the album

Critical
One of the official versions of the title of this masterpiece is that Sergeant Poivre owes its name to a play on words between Paul McCartney and Mal Evans, a party of salt and pepper. The concept of the marching band would raise him, a desire to offer the group an alter ego that would help him mark the beginning of a new era. Finally, solitary hearts would reflect the fear of not being followed in their new musical direction. The rest is part of the legend ...

Difficult to find album more cult. A packet with the paces of gift package, more and more sought-after compositions reaching tops of psychedelia, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is all this at once. And if his classification among the conceptual albums remains debatable, it nevertheless remains a major work in the history of the group and music in general because it puts everyone in agreement: there will now be a front and One after Sgt. Pepper's.

Let's start with his legendary cover. Designed by Peter Blake, she represents the Beatles in front of a veritable mosaic of famous faces including Marilyn Monroe, Laurel & Hardy, Bob Dylan and Stuart Sutcliffe. At their sides, their statues of wax as if to mark more clearly the passage to something else. Photographed by Michael Cooper, the band reconverted in brass band poses in colorful costumes with the rigorous instruments, which a trumpet, a clarinet, a flute or a tuba. Avant-garde to the last detail, it contains the lyrics of the songs and launches before the hour the beginnings of merchandising by proposing a cardboard effigy of the Sergeant Pepper with its accessories. And if the hand above Paul's head and the fact that he is back on the back of the cover later served as additional clues to fuel the rumors of his death, it is still to this day a model of the kind.

Musically, this album is the worthy sequel to his predecessors. What album could they get out after Revolver if not Sgt. Pepper? On its exit, it definitively propels the group to the firmament. Fans are reassured, voiceless critics and admiring competition. That same evening, as the Beatles roam the clubs to celebrate the event, they have proof when they enter a pub during the set of Jimi Hendrix who immediately improvises a resume of the title song under their astounded eyes. Mutual respect between the great ones of this world ...

Sgt Pepper is not the same as Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd six years later, that is to say, an album, each title is linked to Different episodes of a story. But it is true that the perfect transition between the first two pieces and the resumption of the opening song before lowering the curtain is enough to give the whole disc the necessary coherence. Not to mention that the alternation of sustained and slower rhythms actually gives the listener the impression of attending a circus performance or listening to a kind of modern symphony. Guided tour of a masterpiece.

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band "that opens the album sets the tone. The crowd settles in a few last whispers and the orchestra begins to play. On a tempo

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: