TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:26:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287040 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

Just bought the Sgt Pepper LP; all the inserts are included.

The "new" insert of sleeve notes states that 2 of the faces from the original collage had been painted out:

Leo Gorcey (actor, one of The Bowery Boys) - his image would have appeared on the back row between The Varga Girl and the other Bowery Boy Huntz Hall; apparently Gorcey requested a fee.

And Mahatma Gandhi - from just behind Diana Dors - at the request of EMI.

As I no longer have an original sleeve to compare it with, have these changes been made for the re-issue(s) or did they not appear on the original?  I'm 99.999% sure I remember Gandhi being on there...

Pretty certain these changes wre made at the time before the album was issued. Certainly Leo Gorcey's request for payment forced that change ahead of release and I believe that EMI had considerable interests in India at the time and were fearful of causing offence.

My copy of the mag is apparently on its way to me along with issue three. Can't remember what that contains. Help possibly.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »

Anybody who subscribed within the last three weeks received issues 2/3 yet? I have been charged for them but nothing has arrived.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »

Anybody who subscribed within the last three weeks received issues 2/3 yet? I have been charged for them but nothing has arrived.
Same here, the tracking site shows it was sent out on 26th March, but nothing received as yet.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2017, 07:19:36 PM »

Same here, the tracking site shows it was sent out on 26th March, but nothing received as yet.

You have safety in numbers, or at least so I hope, gentlemen.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

I saw "Help" in WHS today...

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »

Mine have arrived this morning.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:46 AM »

Mine have arrived this morning.

Ah. Will keep my eyes peeled for the postman then, usually about 11.30.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »

Sgt Pepper is soon to be re-released. I've read that it will include more tracks, presumably Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. As much as I love Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, the inclusion of them on Pepper will, imho, detract from both. Pepper is ingrained so much on my memory, any change will just grate. I know that both tracks were supposed to be on Pepper originally, but my compilation CD, made to include those tracks, for me, just doesn't work.

Ringo has said in the music press that the whole lot have been remastered. Would that be a further remaster of the remastered CDs and LPs issued just a few short years ago? He does also say that he hasn't listened to Pepper in decades, which might account for his thinking that the sound has really been improved.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »

Is there any advantage to a subscription?  Cost?  Any extras?  I rather like checking the copies out in town to make sure all is well (externally at least).  My experience of vinyl in the post is not good....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »

Ringo has said in the music press that the whole lot have been remastered. Would that be a further remaster of the remastered CDs and LPs issued just a few short years ago?

No, same masters as then.

Jules

Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »

Is there any advantage to a subscription?  Cost?  Any extras?  I rather like checking the copies out in town to make sure all is well (externally at least).  My experience of vinyl in the post is not good....
I don't think there is any cost advantage in taking out a subscription but there are a number of "free" gifts which don't exactly get my heart racing!
Details are in the link.
My main reason for taking out a subscription was simply due to the fact that after a few weeks these things tend to disappear from the shops.
One thing I found strange was that when you take out a subscription, you are asked whether you also want to receive any "special edition" albums if and when they are released!
I have no idea what these could be!
http://www.deagostini.com/minisites/uk/collections/beatles-vinyl-collection/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLKmopqthtMCFQhuGwoddF4Kqw

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »

Sgt Pepper is soon to be re-released. I've read that it will include more tracks, presumably Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. As much as I love Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, the inclusion of them on Pepper will, imho, detract from both. Pepper is ingrained so much on my memory, any change will just grate. I know that both tracks were supposed to be on Pepper originally, but my compilation CD, made to include those tracks, for me, just doesn't work.

Ringo has said in the music press that the whole lot have been remastered. Would that be a further remaster of the remastered CDs and LPs issued just a few short years ago? He does also say that he hasn't listened to Pepper in decades, which might account for his thinking that the sound has really been improved.
Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were taken off Sgt Pepper by EMI against the wishes if the Beatles and Geirfe Martin, so restoring them is ok by me.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:01:16 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »

I don't think there is any cost advantage in taking out a subscription but there are a number of "free" gifts which don't exactly get my heart racing!
Details are in the link.
My main reason for taking out a subscription was simply due to the fact that after a few weeks these things tend to disappear from the shops.
One thing I found strange was that when you take out a subscription, you are asked whether you also want to receive any "special edition" albums if and when they are released!
I have no idea what these could be!
http://www.deagostini.com/minisites/uk/collections/beatles-vinyl-collection/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLKmopqthtMCFQhuGwoddF4Kqw

Thanks Bill.  Do they get delivered in sturdy cardboard, or 'just' an envelope...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #353 on: April 02, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »

They do come in a box which seems pretty sturdy.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #354 on: April 02, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

I have heard a few complaints about damaged deliveries but also praise for D'Agostini for intantly replacing when this happens. Box on my latest delivery seemed pretty sturdy to me.

Chatter about this on the forums suggests that the original album will be preserved on a single disc with additional discs containing the extras, including Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever which came from the same sessions. Only A Northern Song also rumoured to be included. I also don't see the point in reconfiguring the album but I guess it doesn't matter if the original remains available. A bit like Let It Be...Naked.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #355 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »

I dropped my car off at the garage Friday afternoon for some tyres, and wandered into the village newsagent/grocery store....There on the rack battling for space with Hello magazine and Word Search, was a solitary vinyl copy of The Beatles "Help" in a sort of collectors pack ... Grin
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #356 on: April 02, 2017, 10:21:37 PM »

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were taken off Sgt Pepper by EMI against the wishes if the Beatles and George Martin, so restoring them is ok by me.

Not strictly true - they were recorded for the upcoming album project, then EMI wanted a single, so those two songs (only these and When I'm 64 had been finished) were the selected tracks.  They weren't taken off the album because the album didn't exist yet.

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #357 on: April 02, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were taken off Sgt Pepper by EMI against the wishes if the Beatles and George Martin, so restoring them is ok by me.

Not strictly true - they were recorded for the upcoming album project, then EMI wanted a single, so those two songs (only these and When I'm 64 had been finished) were the selected tracks.  They weren't taken off the album because the album didn't exist yet.

Jules
But they weren't put on the album because EMI had said that as they were released (as a double A side) they couldn't go on the album.

Anyone else remember Richard Baker playing these with a small record deck on his news desk on the BBC news before Doctor Who (Episode 1 of "The Moonbase"!) on Saturday 11 Feb 1967, 2 days before the actual release of the single? They even had little films with them, amongst the first music videos I ever saw.

Penny Lane

Strawberry Fields Forever

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »

But they weren't put on the album because EMI had said that as they were released (as a double A side) they couldn't go on the album.  

Again, I don't think that was EMI's decision.  It was common in those days for singles to be separate from albums, yet many singles were placed on albums, and the decision about those songs would have been made by the band rather than the label.  By 1967 they were powerful enough to call the shots.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #359 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »

Again, I don't think that was EMI's decision.  It was common in those days for singles to be separate from albums, yet many singles were placed on albums, and the decision about those songs would have been made by the band rather than the label.  By 1967 they were powerful enough to call the shots.

Jules

Fwiw, Wiki suggests it was entirely Epstein's call.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: