TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287091 times)
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »

About time this showed up on CD. I bought the original vinyl when it came out in 76. The CDC has been remastered by Giles and has extra tracks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IO7OHTU/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=univemuisc-umc-21&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=THEBEATLESLiveAtTheHollywoodBowlCDUmLi02

Cool. Looking forward to hearing what sort of "cleaning" up Giles has managed to achieve.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »

In order to help us celebrate it being 50 years since A Hard Days Night was released, a new cleaned up BluRay of the film is being release. And it'll only cost "19.09 (??) from a certain online supplier. OK, there will be a few bonus bits and interviews thrown in, the audio will probably be better, but I doubt it will be up to the Remastered Mono standard.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

In order to help us celebrate it being 50 years since A Hard Days Night was released, a new cleaned up BluRay of the film is being release. And it'll only cost "19.09 (??) from a certain online supplier. OK, there will be a few bonus bits and interviews thrown in, the audio will probably be better, but I doubt it will be up to the Remastered Mono standard.

Eh? It is 52 years since A Hard Days Night was released and it has been available on Blu Ray for some time.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #323 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »

Given the general price of vinyls theses days, this seems a fairly reasonable collection, especially double and triple albums at £24.99
https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/beatles-vinyl-collection/

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #324 on: March 04, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »

Given the general price of vinyls theses days, this seems a fairly reasonable collection, especially double and triple albums at £24.99

I saw Abbey Road in the newsagent for a tenner. Was nearly tempted.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #325 on: March 04, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »

It is sort of tempting but on the other hand, why do I need it when I already have all this music many times over. It also reeks a little of barrel scraping by Apple.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #326 on: March 05, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

I saw Abbey Road in the newsagent for a tenner. Was nearly tempted.

Our local Tiger (chainstore? ) had various LPs (please, not 'vinyls') for 8 quid. One Beatles included.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #327 on: March 06, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

In something of a role reversal, my son buys me Lego!

[attachment deleted by admin]

tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »

It is sort of tempting but on the other hand, why do I need it when I already have all this music many times over. It also reeks a little of barrel scraping by Apple.

I bought several of Deagostini's jazz albums last year and they were very good pressings. So today I bought their Abbey Road. It's fab. Flat as a pancake and free from pops and clicks. I have a 1971 pressing that I haven't played for a long time, having only played CD versions for several years. Tonight on headphones it really sounded very good.    

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #329 on: March 11, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »

I bought several of Deagostini's jazz albums last year and they were very good pressings. So today I bought their Abbey Road. It's fab. Flat as a pancake and free from pops and clicks. I have a 1971 pressing that I haven't played for a long time, having only played CD versions for several years. Tonight on headphones it really sounded very good.    

Stop trying to tempt me you naughty man. I think I have that same 1971 pressing, which was much played in the pre CD era.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

I've caved in and taken out a subscription having also been impressed with the Abbey Road pressing.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #331 on: March 11, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »

I've caved in and taken out a subscription having also been impressed with the Abbey Road pressing.

Presumably though it's mastered using recent digital remasters rather than original analogue tapes?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »

Presumably though it's mastered using recent digital remasters rather than original analogue tapes?

Jules
Correct, I'm pretty sure it's the 2012 remaster

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »

I gave in and bought it as well. Officially it's a one-off. Unofficially, I haven't made my mind up yet....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »

I gave in and bought it as well. Officially it's a one-off. Unofficially, I haven't made my mind up yet....

Same here. There are a few albums that I don't feel I need on vinyl, 1 and the Anthologies for example so a subscription seems excessive but the original albums and the red & blue are all attracting my interest. We'll see. Shame they haven't thought to do a special pressing of Oldies But Goldies as an exclusive for the magazine. Would've been a nice touch.

Abbey Road was the first Beatles album I ever owned and remains my favourite so a nice plece to start.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »

In something of a role reversal, my son buys me Lego!

I was bought that for Christmas. Great isn't it!! And it did take me back a few years (ok a lot!) when building it.  Grin

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »

Same here. There are a few albums that I don't feel I need on vinyl, 1 and the Anthologies for example so a subscription seems excessive but the original albums and the red & blue are all attracting my interest. We'll see. Shame they haven't thought to do a special pressing of Oldies But Goldies as an exclusive for the magazine. Would've been a nice touch.

Abbey Road was the first Beatles album I ever owned and remains my favourite so a nice plece to start.

So, if nothing else this is a good excuse to listen to the albums from start to finish, which I very rarely do these days. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately the pressing is not perfect. There was a bit of surface noise on a couple of tracks and an odd click after Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I notice that the individual tracks are not delineated on the vinyl. Is this a new thing? I am sure that was not the case on my original vinyl copy, at least not on side 1. What really impressed me was the amount of bass they managed to get into the vinyl and overall it is just a nice thing to have and hold.

I think I am in for the long haul (sigh). Sgt Pepper is up next. I will be interested to see if the packaging includes the inserts. Same goes for the White Album poster and the Magical Mystery Tour book. And will the early albums be mono or stereo? The latter I suspect.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »

I notice that the individual tracks are not delineated on the vinyl. Is this a new thing? I am sure that was not the case on my original vinyl copy, at least not on side 1.

I seem to recall that my vinyl original, probably a 70s pressing, didn't have clear spaces between the tracks.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »

Sgt Pepper does contain the inserts. Smiley

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »

Just bought the Sgt Pepper LP; all the inserts are included.

The "new" insert of sleeve notes states that 2 of the faces from the original collage had been painted out:

Leo Gorcey (actor, one of The Bowery Boys) - his image would have appeared on the back row between The Varga Girl and the other Bowery Boy Huntz Hall; apparently Gorcey requested a fee.

And Mahatma Gandhi - from just behind Diana Dors - at the request of EMI.

As I no longer have an original sleeve to compare it with, have these changes been made for the re-issue(s) or did they not appear on the original?  I'm 99.999% sure I remember Gandhi being on there...

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: