TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287014 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »

Well, that settles it. I don't own any Beatles albums, and now I will never need to! Once I get some sort of streaming device, that is.  Smiley Cool

You have one. My guess is that you typed that post on it.  Wink

You're sort of, Al. I type on public access, which means I can listen to stuff on tiny headphones while I'm here. I was thinking of something which would enable me to listen at home - -a connection, of course, and something else.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #301 on: December 26, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »

I have indeed got my grubby hands on the deluxe 1 blu ray, and so far, I'm not all that impressed. I'm only halfway through the first one though, so there's still time.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

I have indeed got my grubby hands on the deluxe 1 blu ray, and so far, I'm not all that impressed. I'm only halfway through the first one though, so there's still time.

I got the 1+ DVD/CD version.  Still haven't had the opportunity to view or hear yet.  Soon come!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »

Finally got around to watching some of the DVDs.  Does it bother anyone else that there's been all this talk of restoration, yet there are still very noticeable big black hairs on much of the Let It Be-era footage?  How hard would that have been to clean up?

I'm also wondering why the studio footage for the alternate Rain promo is in black + white when the one for Paperback Writer is in colour.

Otherwise, a mighty fine collection.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »

I'm also wondering why the studio footage for the alternate Rain promo is in black + white when the one for Paperback Writer is in colour.

I think that is explained somewhere in the book (or maybe somewhere else. I have definitely read about it). I can't remember what the explanation is though.

The hairs in the gate on the Let It Be footage will be on the original film negatives. Not sure how easy that would be to remove but I am no expert in these things. What surprises me more is that the fiming was so shoddy in the first place.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #305 on: December 31, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »

The hairs in the gate on the Let It Be footage will be on the original film negatives. Not sure how easy that would be to remove but I am no expert in these things. What surprises me more is that the fiming was so shoddy in the first place.

Indeed.  I have read that the hairs were trapped in the camera and that to remove them they'd need to do some digital colour matching rather than simple cleaning.  So, what's the problem?  Do it!

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #306 on: December 31, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »

Indeed.  I have read that the hairs were trapped in the camera and that to remove them they'd need to do some digital colour matching rather than simple cleaning.  So, what's the problem?  Do it!

Jules

That would give them nothing to release next time.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #307 on: December 31, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »

Just been listening to some of various alternate takes of the Please Please Me album on Beatles Sessionography vol 1, and my goodness although some of the lead guitar playing was really awful, the vocals were always spot on.

What a supergroup The Big Three + John & Paul on vocals might have been!!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #308 on: January 01, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »

Have just noticed that the Beatles albums that I have bought from Amazon over the years have magically appeared in my Amazon digital music (Auto Rip) library for download. Not that I need them but this has crept in under the wire. I knew they were being made available to streaming services but thus far they have only been available for download from ITunes.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #309 on: January 01, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »

If you have Amazon prime they are all free to load into your amazon music player.

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2016, 07:34:31 PM »

Hmm.  It suggests that no major clean-up of Let It Be footage has been done yet.  Or that, if it has, they're not letting any spoilers out just yet.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »

Just been listening to some of various alternate takes of the Please Please Me album on Beatles Sessionography vol 1, and my goodness although some of the lead guitar playing was really awful, the vocals were always spot on.

I'll take The Beatles as they were/are, thanks, limitations and all.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2016, 08:09:54 PM »

Hmm.  It suggests that no major clean-up of Let It Be footage has been done yet.  Or that, if it has, they're not letting any spoilers out just yet.

Jules

Not necessarily. The Let It Be footage on 1 consists of promos that were extracted for use on TV in 1969. The DVDs have been created from those promos, not from the negative of the cinema released movie. One give away is that the promos are in the standard 4:3 aspect ratio conforming to the shape of TV screens at the time whereas the film is in the cinema screen ratio of 1.37:1.

In other words, the movie and the promos are different items in their own right. They could well be working on the movie negative but have not bothered with the promos which were probably only preserved on telecine film (16mm I think) and for which the negatives are probably long lost.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »

I wouldnt swap Paulie on bass For John Gustafson or Ringo for anyone and George did just fine.

The Dude abides
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2016, 09:03:49 PM »

[
I wouldnt swap Paulie on bass For John Gustafson or Ringo for anyone and George did just fine.

Yep. They just about scraped a career together didn't they...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »

Not necessarily. The Let It Be footage on 1 consists of promos that were extracted for use on TV in 1969. The DVDs have been created from those promos, not from the negative of the cinema released movie. One give away is that the promos are in the standard 4:3 aspect ratio conforming to the shape of TV screens at the time whereas the film is in the cinema screen ratio of 1.37:1.

In other words, the movie and the promos are different items in their own right. They could well be working on the movie negative but have not bothered with the promos which were probably only preserved on telecine film (16mm I think) and for which the negatives are probably long lost.

Interesting.  Thanks for that, Gub.

I wouldn't swap Paulie on bass For John Gustafson or Ringo for anyone and George did just fine.

Amen to what Gym said.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #316 on: January 01, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »

Gym! Grin
How very apt  Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »

Anyone got a spare £10,000 +?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-35660169?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »

An old recording of 'Til There Was You isn't my idea of a holy grail, but I'm sure somebody will enjoy owning it.

Jules

tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »

About time this showed up on CD. I bought the original vinyl when it came out in 76. The CDC has been remastered by Giles and has extra tracks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IO7OHTU/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=univemuisc-umc-21&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=THEBEATLESLiveAtTheHollywoodBowlCDUmLi02

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: