TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287006 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

I'm sure Love Me Do was to be out on vinyl again.Think they got re-called for some reason.

It did get out though...copies are on ebay.  They used the 'wrong' mix...the one with Andy White on it instead of Ringo.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »

I'm sure Love Me Do was to be out on vinyl again.Think they got re-called for some reason.

It did get out though...copies are on ebay.  They used the 'wrong' mix...the one with Andy White on it instead of Ringo.

LOL. So it was the original version then...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »

LOL. So it was the original version then...

Not quite.  They cut two versions in September 1962.  The Andy White one was used for the Please Please Me LP and the American single.  The Ringo one was used for the initial pressing of the UK 45, but subsequently replaced for later pressings by the Andy White one.  The Ringo version was cut on the 4th, the Andy White one on the 11th.  They had previously recorded the song with Pete Best earlier in the year, which arguably makes Pete's version the "original".

The master tapes for the Ringo version have long since disappeared.  Which means that a new vinyl pressing is actually sourced from....and old vinyl pressing!

EMI aim to have the 'proper' (ie Ringo) version of the single out before too long.  The copies that have slipped through the net featuring the Andy White version will no doubt very quickly become overpriced collector's items.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »

The master tapes for the Ringo version have long since disappeared.  Which means that a new vinyl pressing is actually sourced from....and old vinyl pressing!

As presumably is the version on the Past Masters/Mono Masters CDs.

Interesting also to hear Andy White claiming on a recent BBC4 documentary that he is also the drummer on Please Please Me. He apparently recorded a version with the band and reckons it is his version that was actually released.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »

As presumably is the version on the Past Masters/Mono Masters CDs.

Correct.

Interesting also to hear Andy White claiming on a recent BBC4 documentary that he is also the drummer on Please Please Me. He apparently recorded a version with the band and reckons it is his version that was actually released.

Yes I saw that.  A claim I have never seen made before, so I tend not to believe him.  It would suggest that he also played on the flipside, Ask Me Why, as this was cut at the same session.

Most likely though, he is referring to the version of Please Please me cut at the Love Me Do session, and misremembering subsequent events.  He probably wasn't much of a pop music fan after all.  This version wasn't the master take.  It has been released, but only much later, on Anthology 1.

Jules

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

Andy White played drums on Trader Horne's Morning Way album. I had forgotten that... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »

Most likely though, he is referring to the version of Please Please me cut at the Love Me Do session, and misremembering subsequent events.  He probably wasn't much of a pop music fan after all.  This version wasn't the master take.  It has been released, but only much later, on Anthology 1.

Jules

Although the basis of his assertion seemed to be that the drumming style on the single release was more like his than Ringo's. Probably time playing tricks with his memory as you say but it is hard to argue with him hearing his own "signature" as it were.

Sadly this is where the whole fallacy about the quality of Ringo's drumming began and was something of a humiliation for him in the context of what had happened to Pete Best, much to Best's glee as was clear from the film.

George Martin got it wrong, as have legions of jokers subsequently as a result of his mistake and an unfortunate one liner from Lennon. One listen to Rain, to name but a single example ought to have shut them all up by now.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »

Andy White played drums on Trader Horne's Morning Way album. I had forgotten that... Roll Eyes

Not to be confused with Yes & Plastic Ono Band drummer Alan White or indeed Oasis drummer Alan White who incidentally was replaced by Zak Starkey. Is there no end to these Beatles connections?

And yes, I was confused for a moment until I looked them all up on Wikipedia.

As for MMT, I bought it years ago on video and have the 2 EPs with the booklet. I enjoyed the documentary that was shown on BBC4 the other night but I don't feel the need to buy it in any other format. But I might rent the dvd.

Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

Although the basis of his assertion seemed to be that the drumming style on the single release was more like his than Ringo's. Probably time playing tricks with his memory as you say but it is hard to argue with him hearing his own "signature" as it were.

Sadly this is where the whole fallacy about the quality of Ringo's drumming began and was something of a humiliation for him in the context of what had happened to Pete Best, much to Best's glee as was clear from the film.

George Martin got it wrong, as have legions of jokers subsequently as a result of his mistake and an unfortunate one liner from Lennon. One listen to Rain, to name but a single example ought to have shut them all up by now.

I totally agree about Ringo.  One of the finest rock drummers ever.  See also A Day In The Life, and just about all of Abbey Road.

And though I think Pete Best was a bit overly geelful in his snarkiness regarding this episode, elsewhere in the programme he came across as very well balanced and philosophical.  Fair play to him.

Regarding drummers recognising themselves - well, maybe, but what about that man Bernard Purdie who claims to have replaced all Ringo's parts?  I'm sure he actually believes himself!

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

Regarding drummers recognising themselves - well, maybe, but what about that man Bernard Purdie who claims to have replaced all Ringo's parts?  I'm sure he actually believes himself!

Jules

There is often a thin line between being a drummer and being a nutter!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »

I've never heard that Bernard Purdie claimed to have replaced all of Ringo's parts but he did play on the dreadful Bee Gees led version of Sgt Pepper
    Purdie is a great drummer though

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »

I've never heard that Bernard Purdie claimed to have replaced all of Ringo's parts

http://bocktherobber.com/2011/04/ringo-starr-or-bernard-purdie/

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »

I've never heard that Bernard Purdie claimed to have replaced all of Ringo's parts

http://bocktherobber.com/2011/04/ringo-starr-or-bernard-purdie/

Jules

oooh! some interesting comments about it being well known that Purdie replaced Pete Best on the hamburg tapes and then theres some barmy stuff as well, who knows which is which?

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

oooh! some interesting comments about it being well known that Purdie replaced Pete Best on the hamburg tapes and then theres some barmy stuff as well, who knows which is which?

You got it right - the former is interesting, the latter are all barmy.   Roll Eyes

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »

You got it right - the former is interesting, the latter are all barmy.   Roll Eyes

Jules

It is the most extraordinary blx isn't it? Even if Epstein had been minded to replace Ringo behind the drum stool, why on earth, recording in London in late '62 & early '63 would he have approached an 18 year old from & indeed in Alabama? Were there no capable British drummers then?

The troubling thing is that people seem to be buying it. I think some Americans forget that the Beatles didn't start in '64. They were a big band in Europe for 14 months before the first Ed Sullivan show.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

The troubling thing is that people seem to be buying it.

Yeah, but, you know, some people will buy anything!   Roll Eyes

Jules

David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »

Yeah, but, you know, some people will buy anything!   Roll Eyes

Jules

Oh yes, that was a good comment...

David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

Quoted from http://bocktherobber.com/2011/04/ringo-starr-or-bernard-purdie/ The Bernard Purdie  / Ringo Starr argument is gathering pace again amid claims from Purdie that he played on TWENTY ONE Beatles tracks in place of the technically inferior Ringo Starr.
He also said in 2007 that Starr was sacked by the Beatles in the early 60′s. Purdie says that Starr didn’t open a hi-hat in the first three albums

The first three Beatles LPs contained a total of 41 tracks. Purdie is claiming he played on 21 tracks, that he can’t name them, and that Ringo didn’t open a hi-hat in the first three. My arithmetic isn’t too clever, bit even I know that 21 doesn’t equal 41…

For anyone interested, there is another good Beatles site at www.beatlesbible.com

Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

Interesting that some people can't resist the notion of substitution, whether it's Dylan being replaced after the Motorbike crash, or Paul dying at 28 IF, and being replaced by Tara Browne or that other bloke. I didn't know anything about the Ringo theory. What about this idea of Clapton playing a lot of lead on late Beatle albums? Any mileage in it? Does it matter?
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

One thing that is odd about these "X played instead of Ringo" etc theories is that it suggests there must have been a massive X-Files style conspiracy to cover it up so that George Martin, the engineers and other studio personnel were all in on keeping it under wraps and the "truth" is only emerging now almost 50 years later..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: