TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:18:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Beatles to collect.  (Read 287053 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »

I may be alone in possesing no Beatles albums whatsoever (unless you count Lennon solo) so this could be a place to strart. I like vinyl, if it's good.

It is very expensive! £300, which equates to about £24 per album.

Sorry, I diidn't look closely first time. I think I saw them advertised as individual albums elsewhere - this ad's for a boxed set.

£24 is okay for one album, if it's audiophile quality, or close. If they DO come out separately, or better still if the Red/Blue comps come out again, I might go for one or 2.

£24 is ok for 1 album!!!
listen bud if youve got that much money to burn send some down here

I'm smiling Jim, because your remark isn't new to me. I'm a non- smoking, very moderate drinking, non- driving, non- home -owning single person, but I LOVE music and there's a little of the audiophile in me.  Grin

CDs, btw, if they're more than a tenner, are the real ripoff. I think twice if i can't get em for less.
Andy Cutts

Loc: South Leicestershire

Must remember, SMALL bag, BIG tent!

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »

I saw the 50 years of Fabdom TV slots in the breakroom at work today, god do I now feel old.
It was them that started the whole music thing off for me back in 1963, but I'm not going back to vinyl again.
Still miss my Thorens/Quad set up though.

Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »

When I were 'lad I always lusted after a Quad. I'd love an old style set-up, given the room. Which I have, but don't see Mrs Stick putting up with it.
Happy days (descends into nostalgic torpor). Afro

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »

When I were 'lad I always lusted after a Quad. I'd love an old style set-up, given the room. Which I have, but don't see Mrs Stick putting up with it.

I've still got a Quad..... Cool

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »

Apparently the anniversary vinyl reissue of Love Me Do has been withdrawn at the eleventh hour as they used the wrong mix for the pressing. Genuine FUBAR or publicity generating PR stunt, do you think?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »

When in doubt, the cockup theory always wins.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »

When I were 'lad I always lusted after a Quad. I'd love an old style set-up, given the room.

I'd still really like a Quad pre and power amp and a pair of those electrostatic speakers.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »

I've still got a Quad..... Cool

Just be careful when you are riding it ..... You don't want to end up like Ozzy  
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »

I have just devoured the entire contents of the Magical Mystery Tour Blu Ray disc and it was entirely wonderful.

I'm sure that it must have been shown on our television on Boxing Day 1967. I was only 3 so I don't remember but my brother was 9 and already a Beatles fan. How completely pointless and incomprehensible it must have been in black and white though. The Flying sequence in particular must have seemed very flat.

Spruced up for 21st century Blu Ray however it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous. I haven't seen the film for about 20 years and it is much more engaging and amusing than I remembered. It is beautifully edited and the I Am The Walrus sequence remains a tour de force with Blue Jay Way not far behind.

There is a wealth of outtakes and extra material, all of it fascinating and I would have been happy to see more. Contrary to revisionist reputation, everybody seems to be enjoying themselves, perhaps George Harrison in particular. And the witty TOTP promo for Hello Goodbye, shot in a snow covered Hyde Park (I think) is almost worth the price on its own. I had never seen that before. Shame Ivor Cutler's solo spot was cut from the final edit but I can see why they didn't use the Traffic sequence.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 09:49:31 PM »

I remember watching Magical Mystery Tour in 1967.

I recall the stunned silence as this self-indulgent claptrap played out in front of my family. The EP tracks may have been ok, but the film itself was just rubbish. I rewatched it the other night and my 1967 opinion stands.

The first mis-step of their careers.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

I remember watching Magical Mystery Tour in 1967.

I recall the stunned silence as this self-indulgent claptrap played out in front of my family. The EP tracks may have been ok, but the film itself was just rubbish. I rewatched it the other night and my 1967 opinion stands.

The first mis-step of their careers.

Yeah, but we couldn't let on to our parents that we thought it was ****.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »

it was tripe, wasn't it
it had a couple of good ideas but the whole thing was rubbish

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.  I saw it in 1976 and thought it was a bit s**t.  I saw it last week and smiled a lot, and even laughed twice.  And when I Am The Walrus came in, I even got excited.  That'll do for me, cock.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:31 AM »

Thats not good to read GubGub. I was quite adamant that I would not be buying this again. Now I'm starting yto waver. This may end up on my Christmas list after all...

Undecided Undecided

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »

Thats not good to read GubGub. I was quite adamant that I would not be buying this again. Now I'm starting yto waver. This may end up on my Christmas list after all...

Undecided Undecided

You won't be disappointed David. I am not making any great claims for the film as a masterpiece but it does have its moments, notably the musical numbers. Where else can you get to see the Beatles play I Am The Walrus or Your Mother Should Know and they are beautifully staged. It is otherwise a touching snapshot of the time and an England that has very much gone. It really does look pristine, bursting with the colour that it really needs and the music sounds spectacular, especially if you are lucky enough to have a 5.1 set up.

The extras are all thoroughly worthwhile too, unlike much of the content on previous Beatles discs which has tended towards the dull and technical.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »

Each to their own, I suppose.  

I remember Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever being released that year and Richard Baker playing them (on a record deck on the News Desk!) on the news before Doctor Who was shown.  My memories of the films shown with those tracks are much more positive.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »

Incidentally, I rather enjoyed (and tend to agree with) this book review by one Jarvis Cocker.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/10/john-lennon-letters-hunter-davies-review

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Maurice N

Loc: Kent

Do you hear me now?

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »

Though no masterpiece,I think MMT is pretty good.Strange and surreal and even for Walrus,it's worth the money,in my opinion.

I think that maybe I'm dreaming
I smell cinnamon and spices
I hear music everywhere
All around kaleidoscope of colour
Andy Cutts

Loc: South Leicestershire

Must remember, SMALL bag, BIG tent!

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »

Electrostatic speakers....drool, they were out of my price range unfortunately.   I've still got the Love Me Do CD single from the last time it came out, I didn't know that there was another one slated for release,or was it on vinyl?  The next Beatles item for me will be the Mono box at Christmas.  I've got to watch the pennies though, as I've just started on the Frank Zappa re-re-masters (Hot Rats for the fifth time, oh dear!) and there's the Steve Miller Band re-masters out( The first 5 albums, yippee!).
Maurice N

Loc: Kent

Do you hear me now?

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »

Electrostatic speakers....drool, they were out of my price range unfortunately.   I've still got the Love Me Do CD single from the last time it came out, I didn't know that there was another one slated for release,or was it on vinyl?  The next Beatles item for me will be the Mono box at Christmas.  I've got to watch the pennies though, as I've just started on the Frank Zappa re-re-masters (Hot Rats for the fifth time, oh dear!) and there's the Steve Miller Band re-masters out( The first 5 albums, yippee!).

I'm sure Love Me Do was to be out on vinyl again.Think they got re-called for some reason.
I've virtually everything I want apart from Let it Be Naked and the Decca sessions(though not sure if this
is still available).

I smell cinnamon and spices
I hear music everywhere
All around kaleidoscope of colour
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: