TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An English Heartbeat - UK Tour 2012  (Read 32801 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »

I really can't remember a more enjoyable concert by Ralph and that's going back many a decade.

A really good selection of songs and styles, covering his whole career. Great musicianship, songwriting, humour and warmth.

Also nice to meet the good turnout of TAWers, albeit briefly, with some top Ralph stalking by JJ.  Grin  (photos ?)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »

My comment to Ralph post show was "you have matured musically like a fine wine"  Wink Cheesy A favourite song from the show I cannot say, each one sung with warmth and feeling. I really do find "You well meaning" so difficult, from a painful time in Ralph's long career. What a brilliant re-do of 'Sand in your Shoes' sounded so good with harmonica adding depth and variance to this good song.

Ralph's only complaint was the absence of a beer at the signing table which was the longest I have ever seen. The 'orderly' queue (not very well organised, as we merged in with the merch table, so there was some polite jostling for position) wound snake-like in the foyer of this magnificant venue. I have a feeling that this is Ralph's favourite venue and I have to say I think he saves the best til last!  Cool

The TAW company was great but the absence of our friend JohnB for the pre-concert drinks had me concerned that he was lost somewhere in London but good to say he wasn't missing so a quick hello/goodbye after the show to John made a perfect evening!  Kiss

For those interested, Ralph's son Tom wasn't well so we saw the return of Donard on sound as a one off, Ralph seemed relaxed and happy about that.

Bought 'B2.'  Look forward to next year!  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

What can I add to that?

I really enjoyed the show, but then one thing that struck me was how much Ralph was obviously enjoying the show as well  Smiley

Nice to meet up in the foyer before he show.... Same time next year?
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »

Safely back in the Irwell Valley, I can reflect on yesterday's excitement in the big city. Having booked a hotel on King's Cross Rd, we thought that Russell Square was a nearer Tube station so set out in that direction. On the way we saw a No. 19 bus to Sloan Square and jumped on. At Green Park we were suddenly told to get off without explanation. Green Park station was closed and I have never seen such a press of people not knowing how to get to their destinations. In short, we walked, and got to our restaurant on time. After a lovely dinner with friends, we arrived at Cadogan at 7.35 and went in the first door we came to, which was the box office. The door from there went into the huge bar. Which is why I never found the foyer. Sorry guys! Thanks, JJ, for seeking me out after the show! Great to see you again, and Colin... and several other friends made during forty-odd years of McTell concert-going!

I found fresh meaning in 'You Well-Meaning' during the tour and again last night. In 1971 it was a young man's lament, but in 2012 it applies to a lifetime's work. Yes, Ralph, you have done your best, and very good it is. Thank you.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

Thanks for your fine reports good people  Wink

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
SteveK
No load, always skip

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

...we saw a No. 19 bus to Sloan Square and jumped on. At Green Park we were suddenly told to get off without explanation. Green Park station was closed and I have never seen such a press of people not knowing how to get to their destinations. In short, we walked,....
An inspired choice from there - You sir, are the London Apprentice!  Grin

... went in the first door we came to, which was the box office. The door from there went into the huge bar. Which is why I never found the foyer. Sorry guys!....
No Prob - Same time, same place, next year? (Doesn't the Box office lobby lead into to the foyer-which does have a bar counter near the door to the box office???)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 09:19:35 PM »

I really can't remember a more enjoyable concert by Ralph and that's going back many a decade.

A really good selection of songs and styles, covering his whole career. Great musicianship, songwriting, humour and warmth.

Also nice to meet the good turnout of TAWers, albeit briefly, with some top Ralph stalking by JJ.  Grin  (photos ?)

The venue and official stalker!  Grin

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

McStalker..  Roll Eyes Cheesy Of course, only in the line of duty so I am able to report back from the horses mouth so to speak...

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »

You sir, are the London Apprentice!

This boy from the north country was quite oppressed by the west end throng and very glad to find a way out albeit on foot!

Doesn't the Box office lobby lead into to the foyer-which does have a bar counter near the door to the box office?

In which case we did find the foyer! We stood at that bar for 20 mins. Where was the TaW cohort?

John B

SteveK
No load, always skip

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:43 AM »

... Where was the TaW cohort?

Clustered around a small table in the quarter of the room that the merch table against one wall and the stairs to the low numbered stalls and to the gallery.

You certainly were unlucky to get tipped out of a bus that was being short tripped, at a place where the local tube station was evacuated!. Green Park is a major interchange station and I can imagine the chaos outside if they had to close that.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

Just posted on Ralph's website:

"Happy New Year to all our visitors.

"See behind the scenes photographs from the last tour by clicking here."

John B

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »

This link may work better.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
tryer

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »

Thanks John Andy....Unfortunately despite jumping through hoops neither link works for me!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »

They both take you to a skydrive sign in page..?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

Try going to the website first.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
tryer

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

Thanks again All...I am sorted and delighted Grin
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

Yes, thanks, works from Ralph's website and I must say there are lots of terrific photos there. Good to see Ralph working with his son Tom, many of the pictures show them looking fairly serious and pensive at times, I love the way photos can do this, capturing 'the moment' 8 frames a second springs to mind....  Wink

I think the black and white shots are lovely.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: