TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McChatter  (Read 273932 times)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »

Ralph's extra verse added to Streets!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52046893

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2020, 11:24:13 PM »

He is a good man.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03:26 AM »

Yes, he was on R4 news a couple of nights ago talking about it and playing it.
I flagged it up on 'Great Stuff : Listen Now.'  Cool
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »

I like the set up. He's sitting just inside the back door, while the crew are in the garden. Very effective social distancing.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »

I like the set up. He's sitting just inside the back door, while the crew are in the garden. Very effective social distancing.

and you can hear the birds tweeting!!!!  Grin

tryer

« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »

Hello,
 I am astonished at the lack of postings here. I would have thought in the present time of lockdown etc here would be an ideal place to "keep in touch"  and entertained? Nothing?
 Despite an appearance on BBC, a spring Tour [ Cancelled ok Postponed] ]
 Have those that booked Trains, accommodation, had difficulty getting re. embursed? [ Well its a thought ]
Possibly discuss [ partially covered] the price of tickets?
On that subject, surely I am not alone in thinking with the all too easy downloading Utube access for musicians. Live music is often their main, sometimes the only, source of income.
Dare I venture, What do we think of the new verse?
Well having posted, I for one look forward to any response. Keep well Take care, and let's enjoy a bit of communication? Or must all be on Fb?

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »

I do put up the latest information as soon as I discover something, the BBC interview link is there as an example. I've posted in other Ralph threads too. John B updates us with the postponed/rescheduled gigs. We know there are a lot of 'Ralphites' out there but can't drag them in to the Mansions to engage with general chat.  Undecided

As for me the 'forthcoming' tour would have taken me to Bury St. Edmunds, The Apex but it coincided with my now cancelled holiday to Madeira. Other venues weren't really doable for me and I was waiting to see whether a London date or even Essex (he used to come here fairly regularly) turned up on the list.

I am now looking at the Apex for 2021, although the holiday may again coincide, will have to wait and see.

Were you planning on one or two of Ralph's concerts on that now cancelled list that is being rescheduled?

JJ

tryer

« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

Duly admonished,
                          I was indeed going too far too many? concerts on this tour [it became a challenge?] when I posted I was hoping for more response?
 as I am aware you can't force responses, only invite, encourage.
It's unfortunate, but I tend to look at the last date anyone posted and when I added my post it had been months?
To date, I have never found it possible to get onto the Fb site, could be me?
I do appreciate and thank you, Joanna, for your response and thoughts.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »

I suppose I tend to get my information more from FB, although I do check here. TAW has become more of an FC site since some members left.
JJ puts up relevant info, and I comment - as and when - but I’m not much of a chatter, I’m afraid.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2020, 08:25:08 PM »

Ralph's latest newsletter came in today....

Dear Friends,

Normally I would have been in touch with you all before now but as we all know, we are not in normal times.

I will be sending out my winter newsletter in a few week’s time, but wanted to let you know about a couple of things that are a little more time sensitive.

First off, we have sadly decided to postpone the Cadogan Hall Christmas Show and my usual Half Moon charity concert will not take place this year.  Even if the lockdown ends in time, restrictions on audience sizes and social distancing measures will not make for the sort of show I want to be able to perform for you.  The Cadogan Hall show has been rescheduled to Friday the 7th May 2020. Ticket holders will be contacted by box office.

As I write this, my new recording of The Unknown Soldier is just back from mastering.  The astonishingly gifted Graham Preskett, a hugely talented musician, has arranged the work. We were unimpeded by the Covid rules; despite being restricted to only 5 musicians at a time into the studio and the horn section submitting their parts via the internet, Graham managed to weave the different elements together seamlessly.

I wanted this version to represent all the Home Nations who fought in the Great War and asked an old friend and a couple of new ones if they would read the spoken sections of the piece.  They all agreed and waived any fees so that all revenue raised can go straight to the Royal British Legion Poppy Day appeal.

Sir Billy Connolly represents Scotland.
 Sir Anthony Hopkins represents Wales.
 Liam Neeson OBE represents Ireland.
 Yours truly represents Croydon and England.

We are also producing a brief film about the story of the Unknown Soldier and my motivation to write the song.  Both the song and the film will be available free to view on all my social media on Remembrance Sunday, 8th of November, with a click-to-donate button for those who feel able to give on my Facebook page.

I’ve been interviewed about the song by JJ Chalmers, (Veteran, Invictus medal winner and contestant in this year’s Strictly) for The One Show, which will air on the 10th November.

I hope you get to see the new version of the song online and I’ll be in touch with a full newsletter very soon.

Stay Safe!

Love from
 Ralph

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2020, 10:22:48 PM »

Thanks for posting JJ....you just beat me to it!

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »

Ralph’s latest newsletter.

Dear Friends,

Well… what a year it’s been.  Normally I would have been in touch with you all before now, but as we all know, we are not in normal times.

I was talking recently with one of Britain's most brilliant and gifted guitar players, Albert Lee.  After we had both bemoaned being unable to head out and about performing he confided in a slightly shocked tone, “My fingers have gone soft!”

Guitarists finger tips usually are adorned with callouses seemingly made of grey wood with a groove down the middle, but if not thoroughly maintained through live performance, they soften and the callous gives way to soft skin with a baby like appearance and a sensitivity which painfully reminds you of your early days as a learner!

I have filled the void of non-touring with a ragged regime of piano practice in the morning (sometimes) and guitar noodling in the afternoon.

For family reasons, Nanna and I have decided to spend more of our time in London now and so began a transition from our beloved Cornwall. This involved registering with a new medical practice.  Towards the end of last year we were both checked and all was well except my blood results caused some concern and I was referred to hospital for further testing, MRI scans and biopsy.

In the middle of all this attention I had agreed to do a charity concert appearance for prostate cancer with the wonderful Kate Rusby and her brilliant musician husband Damian O’Kane.  Unfortunately for me it was the day after my biopsy.  Nevertheless Tom and I had a long but good journey up to Penistone and a terrific afternoon in the company of Eliza Carthy, Ron Block, Michael McGoldrick and countless others.  I also caught a few minutes with Mark Radcliffe which is always a pleasure.

I had begun working toward a major London show in which my son and manager Tom was deeply involved.   He had planned it as a 75th birthday present to me.  Musicians and choir were booked for the Royal Festival Hall and photos, posters and programs prepared.  Rehearsals went well although I have to say it was the most stressful time of my life.  Not only remembering what I was supposed to be doing, but also waiting for news.

Somehow with the support of Nanna, my children and the incredibly talented Graham Preskett and Frank Gallagher, we got it together in time for the thirteenth of December (a Friday!) and the night was unforgettable.  In both senses as I forgot several entry points in the songs, which I will now never forget.  No one noticed thankfully and it gave the evening a special edge.

The following day my results revealed that I had aggressive prostate cancer. I was given the choice of two alternative treatments.

I elected for radical surgery which was performed in January.  My operation was successful. I cannot stress how fortunate I feel.

Our NHS and those who looked after me have been absolutely wonderful. I almost feel I should have a season ticket as this is the third time our incredible health service has saved my life.

My convalescence, under cover of Covid was trying but I remain, for the most part in a positive mood.  Although gloom occasionally descends, the tragedy of this pandemic and it’s far reaching impact has maintained my perspective, and every day I work towards full health.  I am back running and though very slow, I’m building up to my next distance target of 15km (hovering at the 12km mark at the moment) I may manage the London Marathon before my 80th.  Watch this space.

The incredible experience of working on The Unknown Soldier and the gifts of so many talented artists in bringing the project to fruition, in addition to your so many lovely comments and donations has also given me a welcome distraction.
Some of you may have missed the additional ‘explainer’ (I hesitate to call it a documentary) of my inspirations for this project; it is available on YouTube and if you want to purchase the song, its available for download on my website with all proceeds going to the Poppy Appeal too.

Yes it’s been quite a year and no doubt many of you will have had to contend with much more than me.  On a positive note It has made me feel even more grateful for the job I do and it is humbling to receive letters and emails from you, which tend to confirm how important the sharing of music is in these times.
To paraphrase the late Dame Vera and Queen Elizabeth,
Keep safe, Take care and We’ll meet again,
somewhere down the road…

Love from

Ralph

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »

Cripes.  Poor Ralph.  There's a lot of it about!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »

Oh dear yes but encouraging news David.  Wink

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

Sending best wishes to Ralph. Really challenging situation for him but what an ultimately uplifting post.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2020, 04:46:34 PM »

He is a great man, in many ways. Not a hint of self-pity, just the facts. Good health from now on, Ralph and family.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »

Get well soon Ralph.  
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:50 PM »

Raising a glass and wishing Ralph and family plus all Ralph fans good health and 'the things you wish yourself'.... in 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcEOK4X36o

Cheers, JJ

Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »

Thanks, Diane, for sharing the newsletter. (I don't get them any more).

A very inspirational post from Ralph, after the year he and the family has had.  His optimism shines through and I wish them all the best for 2021.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #279 on: January 02, 2021, 06:31:06 PM »

Thanks, Diane, for sharing the newsletter. (I don't get them any more).

A very inspirational post from Ralph, after the year he and the family has had.  His optimism shines through and I wish them all the best for 2021.

You can sign up for them again via Leola's website  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: