TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:33:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McChatter  (Read 273941 times)
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Hello everybody. The McMansions are back! Ralph has asked Colin to reinstate his TAW section, and here it is.

We have swept most of the cobwebs out of the old rooms and started a couple of new threads or three to get you going.

Two of the old threads contain really useful You Tube links and guitarists' advice, so have been left as we found them.

We have a lot of catching up to do and Ralph has a UK Tour coming soon, so let's get posting!

Wecome back!

John.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

Welcome back to our kind hosts - the Ralph Mansions have been dearly missed.

And hello to good old friends and to new friends as well.

Great job, JJ & John.  Wink

Hello everybody. The McMansions are back! Ralph has asked Colin to reinstate his TAW section, and here it is.

We have swept most of the cobwebs out of the old rooms and started a couple of new threads or three to get you going.

Two of the old threads contain really useful You Tube links and guitarists' advice, so have been left as we found them.

We have a lot of catching up to do and Ralph has a UK Tour coming soon, so let's get posting!

Wecome back!

John.

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

Very glad the mansion has reopened  Grin

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

Very glad the mansion has reopened  Grin

...............and glad to see the McTellytubbies back too!  Wink

Grin Grin

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »

Welcome back to those who have popped their head around the door of the Mansions, hopefully many others will call, tell them we serve tea and cakes at weekends.  Roll Eyes Now to lower the tone...  Grin

A few weeks back I introduced a friend's grandchildren to Ralph's 'Alphabet Zoo'  Roll Eyes Apparently it's now on in their car on all journey's and much requested, they know all the songs and sing along. It's driving the parents mad but my friend said how wonderful the writings of those songs are, it's never too late to educate children or even adults in to the fun but very clever songwriting of Mr.Mc. I seriously think these songs are brilliant for young children and every household has a duty to educate children by owning this collection. I promise you those catchy tunes will be in your head all day!

She then wanted something for them to watch at her house so it just had to be 'Tickle on the Tum' DVD, ordered that for only £5 from Amazon.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Domenico Mosca

Loc: Palermo / Italy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »

Welcome back! I'm very happy that the board is on again!

All the best
Domenico Smiley
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »

Thanks, Domenico. I have made a Fansite News topic where you can keep us up to date with WtS.

John B

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

Great to see this back up again! Looking forward to chatting about Ralph!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
polly
I came I saw I clicked

its me again

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »

Its good to have this forum again.Thank you to everyone involved in getting it up and running again.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »

Good to see you good folk too.  Grin

Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

Yeah!   Grin

Nice to see this section of the forum up and running again!

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

We're just back from holiday, and what a great surprise to find McMansions back on Talkawhile! Thanks to all who've made it possible. Looking forward to lots of talking-awhile,  especially when the Autumn tour starts,
 Smiley Smiley Naomi (& Carl)
Martin K

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Yep I totally agree, great to have the McTell site back again , which reminds me , must get those tickets for his November Cambridge Gig.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

Yep I totally agree, great to have the McTell site back again , which reminds me , must get those tickets for his November Cambridge Gig.

Hey Martin K good to see you!  Grin Your 'big brother' tells me you are an infrequent visitor to the Mansions and yet I know you have a lot to offer so don't leave it so long next time please.  Wink

Oh goody, Naomi has found her way up the path and into the door again too. Let's party!  Grin. Best go and make some more canapes! Come on John, don your pinny!  Cool

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »

I have bowed to popular pressure (well, Naomi asked politely) and restored the old Concert Chatter thread.  There are some great reviews in there. Ralph's 'An English Heartbeat' tour starts next month...

John B

CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »

Naomi dug this up off t'internet earlier,  Harbour Songs  

It featuers Shed Song by Mr Mc T  -  A bargain at only 69p.

Any ideas where this comes from?  I'm guessing it was recorded as a possible for Somewhere Down the Road.  It seems to have that feel to it  

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »

All the 'Harbour Songs' were commissioned for the Lone Twin Boat Project, who invited folk to contribute something wooden that they then incorporated into an actual boat. They approached several songwriters to write songs about the pieces of wood. Somebody gave a shed...

The CD insert includes the stories behind the pieces of wood and the song lyrics they inspired.

When Ralph talked about his Uncle's shed at the Hull gig, I hoped he would go on to sing 'Shed Song'; but he did 'Barges'. Maybe next time?

Buy the CD, Carl. It's all good.

John.

John B

Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »

Did anyone see Ralph on 'Fairport Convention, who knows where the time goes?' on BBC4 on Friday evening? Radio Times claimed that it was 'new', but I have a feeling it's been on before.  Undecided

It's on iPlayer here.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme, and learnt a lot I didn't know before about the development of both FC and Cropredy, though, to start with, I found one aspect of it a tiny bit irritating:

The programme opened with them performing 'Wild Cape Horn', but no mention was made of the author of the song. A short way in Ralph appeared with a one-line contribution about Fairport's influence on the development of folk-rock. After that, despite detailed discussion of the various sources of Fairport's music, there was no mention of Ralph for much of the programme. 'Red and Gold' was used over the introduction of the section of the programme aobut the Cropredy festival - still no mention of Mr McT.  Roll Eyes

I was beginning to feel a little frustrated at this, until, right at the end of the part about Cropredy, nearly at the end of the programe, the narrator (Frank Skinner) began to explain that the final performance each year is given by FC themselves, almost always joined by a 'very special guest', who has provided a number of their best loved songs!  Smiley

At this point, Ralph himself appeared again, explaining that although Fairport sang a number of his songs, they often change them a bit to suit their own style. This was obviously recorded at Cropredy, as he then went on to say that he was about to perform WCH with them, and was hoping he could remember to sing there version, not his - he described it as 'a bit of a learning curve'!

As I say, a very interesting programme - made even better by the short section acknowledging Ralph's contributions! (I should maybe add that I'm sure that any lack in this would be down to the BBC, not Fairport themselves!)

Naomi
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »

It was a brand new programme, filmed over the last year or so. Obviously some of the earlier stuff has been used before, but the contributions by people were brand new.. Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »

...and very nice to see you on the small screen, Jude!

Naomi, there is a detailed discusion on the programme in another place (scroll down to Reply #41 and keep reading).

John B

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: