TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:24:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph on the Radio  (Read 126863 times)
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »

Excellent - thanks a lot, Michael Cool

Maybe I should also "reupload" the absolutely wonderful and very personal interview
he gave to Mandy Morton a couple of years ago? - if anyone here is interested that is?

I also have a great interview & live performance (4 songs) with Tom Robinson
on BBC radio 6 - from October 2006, I believe.

Let me know, please  Roll Eyes

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »

Easily confused here...  Roll Eyes Havn't had chance to listen again yet but John are you saying it was an 'old' interview yesterday on JW show, therefore Alan, the 'new' album maybe his Songs for Six strings which as we know are slowly being released just to tease us all!  Grin Wink

Ah, that would explain. I have the first disc of Songs for Six Strings, and am assuming I have to go to 5 more concerts to get the rest, as they seem to be sold only @ gigs. Don't particularly mind, but it's a long haul and we're none of us getting any younger. Wink
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

Easily confused here...  Roll Eyes Havn't had chance to listen again yet but John are you saying it was an 'old' interview yesterday on JW show, therefore Alan, the 'new' album maybe his Songs for Six strings which as we know are slowly being released just to tease us all!  

Ah, that would explain. I have the first disc of Songs for Six Strings, and am assuming I have to go to 5 more concerts to get the rest, as they seem to be sold only @ gigs. Don't particularly mind, but it's a long haul and we're none of us getting any younger. Wink

Hello Alan  Wink

A long way from.....? (Clare to Here  Wink Grin)

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »

...they seem to be sold only @ gigs.

The Songs for Six Strings CDs will also be available from the McTell online shop.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »

...they seem to be sold only @ gigs.

The Songs for Six Strings CDs will also be available from the McTell online shop.

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »

Looking ahead a week, Ralph will appear on Saturday Live on BBC Radio 4 next Saturday 6 October, which starts at 09.00. He will be playing his 'Inheritance Tracks', which should be available as a podcast later.

John B

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »

Looking ahead a week, Ralph will appear on Saturday Live on BBC Radio 4 next Saturday 6 October, which starts at 09.00. He will be playing his 'Inheritance Tracks', which should be available as a podcast later.

Thanks a bunch John - will try my luck  Cool

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

I wonder if the BBC's new Playlister will open Auntie's vaults and reveal some long-lost recording sessions?

John B

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 02:06:12 AM »

Ralph plays his 'Inheritance Tracks' on BBC Radio 4 'Saturday Live' from 09:00 > http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n5z2v

John B

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »

I wonder if the BBC's new Playlister will open Auntie's vaults and reveal some long-lost recording sessions?

What we really need is a mole within the BBC - someone who can dig
his way down into the very deepest vaults there.  Wink

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »

Ralph plays his 'Inheritance Tracks' on BBC Radio 4 'Saturday Live' from 09:00 > http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n5z2v

Enjoyed this interview. Ralph's Mum is 96 and still singing so there's hope.  Wink

CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »

I'm not sure enjoy is the right word.  Quite a heavy subject I thought,  'now then Mr Mctell,  tell about a miserable period in your life, for example when your dad left you.' At least it was a long way from, 'so SOL is about Paris.'  Interesting choice of inheritance track. I know these old recordings have some great guitar on but I have trouble getting past the 1930s sound quality.  I have an Arthur Blake Cd which I rarely listen to for that reason.

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »

I'm not sure enjoy is the right word.  Quite a heavy subject I thought,  'now then Mr Mctell,  tell about a miserable period in your life, for example when your dad left you.' At least it was a long way from, 'so SOL is about Paris.'  Interesting choice of inheritance track. I know these old recordings have some great guitar on but I have trouble getting past the 1930s sound quality.  I have an Arthur Blake Cd which I rarely listen to for that reason.

I know what you mean Carl. By 'enjoy' I meant Ralph seemed to sound interested in the format of these questions rather than the rushed inane questions put to him the other morn on the breakfast show. Therefore his answers, whilst most meaningful and reflective, sounded relaxed and flowed rather well. As we know from reading Ralph's books, if asked a seaching question he answers so eloquently and movingly and with some depth. Sometimes Ralph can hardly answer some of the questions that he's asked by presenters and journalists, especially those that haven't done proper research.

Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »

Ralph was interviewed by Moira Kerr of Celtic Radio before his recent gig at Langholm - go here .

Find the bit about Ralph, click on 'Catch up anytime', then, on the page that opens, scroll down to the link to the 2nd hour of the 13th October show. Ralph's on roughly quarter of the way through for around 20 mins.

Having begun in traditional British fashion with a discussion about the weather, and discussed SoL, the interviewer explains her shock recently when she discovered that a song she'd loved for years wasn't, in fact, 'trad', but was written by Ralph  Roll Eyes (Clare to Here).

It's a wide ranging interview, covering the reason he sings as at higher pitch than really came naturally to him on very early recordings, his first American tour (not entirely a success!), the Beatles, the reason Ralph is relieved never to have been invited onto Desert Island Discs and some interesting bits about his songwriting techniques.

The bit where, with typical modesty, he tries to play down the fact that he sold out the Festival Hall so early in his career, made me smile.  Grin I wonder if Moira Kerr knows that he did the same at the Royal Albert Hall?

At the end of the interview, after Somewhere Down the Road, Moira Kerr talks briefly about his performance in Langholm – she was clearly impressed by the multiplicity of his talents – and so she should be!  Grin

Naomi
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »

Ralph was interviewed by Moira Kerr of Celtic Radio before his recent gig at Langholm - go here .

Find the bit about Ralph, click on 'Catch up anytime', then, on the page that opens, scroll down to the link to the 2nd hour of the 13th October show. Ralph's on roughly quarter of the way through for around 20 mins.

Having begun in traditional British fashion with a discussion about the weather, and discussed SoL, the interviewer explains her shock recently when she discovered that a song she'd loved for years wasn't, in fact, 'trad', but was written by Ralph  Roll Eyes (Clare to Here).

It's a wide ranging interview, covering the reason he sings as at higher pitch than really came naturally to him on very early recordings, his first American tour (not entirely a success!), the Beatles, the reason Ralph is relieved never to have been invited onto Desert Island Discs and some interesting bits about his songwriting techniques.

The bit where, with typical modesty, he tries to play down the fact that he sold out the Festival Hall so early in his career, made me smile.  Grin I wonder if Moira Kerr knows that he did the same at the Royal Albert Hall?

At the end of the interview, after Somewhere Down the Road, Moira Kerr talks briefly about his performance in Langholm – she was clearly impressed by the multiplicity of his talents – and so she should be!  Grin

Naomi

Great - thank you very much, Naomi  Cool

What an interesting name btw. - "Langholm", I mean. Not "long", but "lang" as in Danish - and in OE! )
The name does sound very Danish (the "holm" bit as well), so I bet we have one of those too Roll Eyes

Well, I just had to check, didn't I?  Wink
http://https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=langholm+danmark+google+maps&hl=en&ll=56.986711,9.251862&spn=0.025533,0.066175&hnear=Langholm&gl=dk&t=h&z=14

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

Naomi

Btw. the Ralph interview is in the first hour - i. e. the lower of the two October 13th links.

( thank you, Naomi for all that other music  Roll Eyes )

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

That link doesn't appear to be working Henrik, or at least it didn't when I tried  Roll Eyes

Thanks for the interview and info Naomi.  Grin

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »

That link doesn't appear to be working Henrik, or at least it didn't when I tried  Roll Eyes

Thanks for the interview and info Naomi.  Grin

Well, it does work from here, Joanna  Roll Eyes

Try this direct link:   Cool  ( NB. 1'st hour  )

http://podcast.canstream.co.uk/celticmusic/index.php?cat=Moira%20Kerr%20-%20Sounds%20Celtic

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »

I think JJ means the 'Langholm' link, Henrik.  You have too many HTTPs. Try this:

http://maps.google.dk/maps?q=langholm+danmark+google+maps&hl=en&ll=56.986711,9.251862&spn=0.025533,0.066175&hnear=Langholm&gl=dk&t=h&z=14

John B

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »

Ah, of course - silly me  Roll Eyes

Thanks, John.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print