TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:58:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new fairport cd 4play  (Read 24734 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

My copy waiting for me when I go back home.   Smiley

Jules

Same here.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

I received mine last week via international post and have been enjoying it ever since.  Bruce Rowland really blows out the speakers.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

Jules

Same here.

And here.  Loving it.

That's Fairport Convention!

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »

It is marvellous, even with tape hiss, flubbed notes and dodgy guitar bit in Journeyman's grace. Reminds me of the band I fell in love with in 1989 (Yes, a latecomer, but I wasn't even a twinkle when the lads and lasses started out) in a dismal student halls of residence overlooking a remarkably dreary ring road and bus station. Thank you Mum and (Late) Dad for buying me all those tapes and CDs when you came to visit! [I recall waiting for them to bugger off so I could listen to them!]

It also reminds me of driving round Lancashire with Tippler's Tales blasting out at full volume. What a crazy dude I was back in the 1990s!

I always loved this lineup of Fairport... It's what I always think of as 'folk-rock'. There's folk and there's rock.

What's 20 volts between friends?

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »

Jules

Same here.

And here.  Loving it.

That's Fairport Convention!

That's Fairport Convention indeed. I love them now but...this was my favourite line up, no doubt about it. Energy, funny, great musicianship...I wonder if the punk thing gave them a bit of something or other?
Swarb
the fiddler formerly known as grolsch

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »

That yell and funny guitar note in Journeyman is because Simon got an electric shock off the Mike, I asked him was it ok to include it   nice you picked it up ha ha  
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »

I am patiently waiting for payday to add this to the shelves!  The bits I've heard sound great.  Shame there's no Jack Orion though.  I'd love to hear that one day...

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »

I am patiently waiting for payday to add this to the shelves!  The bits I've heard sound great.  Shame there's no Jack Orion though.  I'd love to hear that one day...

You can hear that on either Tipplers Tales or The Boot.

Great track!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

You can hear that on either Tipplers Tales or The Boot.

Great track!

Jules

Yeah, I think the Tipplers version is up there in my top 10 Fairport tracks.  Never heard a live cut though.  So begins the annual search for a copy of The Boot!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:23 PM »

I don't think I've been to Cropredy in the last 25 years and *not* seen a copy of The Boot (those stalls in the village, the, er, Boot fair).  Trouble is they are nearly always on cassette.  Don't often see it on CD but a couple of TAWers from around here have got (relatively) reasonably priced ones (below £50) on eBay in the last year or so if I remember correctly.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

Yeah, I think the Tipplers version is up there in my top 10 Fairport tracks.  Never heard a live cut though.  So begins the annual search for a copy of The Boot!

In mine too.

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »

Thank you, Xmas present contributors, for my copy. Lovely package, awful sound. Reminds me of those dayglo cassettes that were so ubiquitous at record fairs back in the day. Unfortunately, when you can buy Joni Mitchell's remastered Blue for three quid on CD, a bunch of overstretched cassette copies of audience tapes for four times the price doesn't really cut it in terms of VFM for me.    

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »

Thank you, Xmas present contributors, for my copy. Lovely package, awful sound. Reminds me of those dayglo cassettes that were so ubiquitous at record fairs back in the day. Unfortunately, when you can buy Joni Mitchell's remastered Blue for three quid on CD, a bunch of overstretched cassette copies of audience tapes for four times the price doesn't really cut it in terms of VFM for me.    

Yes, regrettably that is pretty much what I thought about it too. I have played it twice since I bought it on release. It has interesting documentary value and serviceable versions of a few songs (notably Ditching Boy and Sloth) but it is quite hard work to listen to. There have been other live albums from Fairport with similar issues over the years.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

Parts of it are worse than others, but it was never anything other than a collection of audience recordings, was it?  It sounds pretty much like I expected it to sound.  Years ago now, but in the past I've paid money to people for tarted up audience recordings on a silver disk...To be honest I'd much rather Swarb got my shilling than A.N.Other.  It gets played a lot more in J-S Towers than many other more pristine sounding Fairport recordings of recent years... I like it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »

Parts of it are worse than others, but it was never anything other than a collection of audience recordings, was it?  It sounds pretty much like I expected it to sound.  Years ago now, but in the past I've paid money to people for tarted up audience recordings on a silver disk...To be honest I'd much rather Swarb got my shilling than A.N.Other.  It gets played a lot more in J-S Towers than many other more pristine sounding Fairport recordings of recent years... I like it.

Same here,it was my in car entertainment for a good few weeks ,but then I know we both are used to lo-fi live recordings,and it helped that I knew what I was getting in advance..I also agree that if Swarb and the others are benefitting that's all fine and dandy with me.
With these things it's the performance you have to concentrate on,rather than the quality of the recording,and there are some fine performances here.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be without it. Just as I wouldn't be without Who Knows & Many Ears To Please but I get more listening pleasure from Farewell Farewell, Live or Before The Moon from the same eras. In places it is just a little too lo fi, though some of it is fine as you say.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »

I like it.

Good for you! I'd have enjoyed some of the playing more if I'd been able to hear it above the tape hiss. Mind you I may have been slightly misled about the quality by the Amazon review which read "With Swarb as a lead singer in those days, his remastering of these tracks is as masterly as his violin playing has always been...The music is of an era long past, but the sound is crisp" *looks meaningfully at Andy Leslie*

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »

(If anybody out there is reading this and wondering whether to get it or not) It really isn't that bad...

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »

If anyone is reading this and wants a copy, let me know...

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

I played mine once and spilled hot tea on the cover and wrecked it.  It's put me off playing it again because it reminds me what an arse I was to spill that tea!   Cry

Jules

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: