TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 09, 2024, 01:54:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 205   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1852243 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3480 on: November 23, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »

Wilko  Cry Cry Cry RIP

Top Boke
*bloke

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #3481 on: November 23, 2022, 09:03:04 PM »

If ever there was a "one-of" it would be Wilco. RIP...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3482 on: November 26, 2022, 06:46:40 PM »

Irene Cara 63

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3483 on: November 27, 2022, 09:23:39 PM »

Irene Cara 63

Too young.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3484 on: November 29, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »

Wreckless Eric on Wilko (on FB):

I’m very sad for the passing of Wilko Johnson. I flew to England and got the news when I arrived. I’m glad to be in England at the moment, it seems appropriate - Wilko may have been playing American music but he remains an absolutely English phenomenon.
As soon as I heard Doctor Feelgood I was a fan. I bought their first album as soon as it came out in 1975. Down By The Jetty was not like other albums or LPs of the time. It was in mono and the cover was black and white. It didn’t present the value-fo-money facade of the lurid, multi-coloured, Roger Dean gatefold designs and the all-across-the-fireplace stereo spread of other albums, even though it had more tunes on it than seemed possible in the mid-seventies - it contained thirteen tracks, and that was one more than the Rolling Stones first album released only eleven years earlier. I went to the record shop, bought a copy and it changed my life.
There were no wailing guitar solos, no wall-to-wall carpet of deluxe and luscious harmony vocals, and there appeared to be not a single drum fill.  And there were lyrics - direct, poetic and deranged like a gonzo comic strip come to life:
"The cars are moving sideways and the traffic lights change to blue
I’m walking twenty yards behind her ‘cause I’m frightened of the damage she’ll do"
Dr Feelgood wore suits and ties. They were photographed by a sea wall with a grimy cargo ship parked casually behind them, or outside an old-fashioned barber’s shop where they’d evidently just had their hair cut. They didn’t look like other bands in band photos. They looked like they didn’t give a ****. And if they suddenly did give a ****, and if the singer woke up from the daze he appeared to be in, you’d probably be in trouble.
I imagined I could smell the oil refineries as I stood with Lee Brilleaux, Wilko Johnson, John B Sparks and The Big Figure watching the oil flames burning bright in the full light of day, the sky full of aeroplanes jetting off to some Spanish paradiise, their passengers as unaware, as I had been, of Canvey Island, this wonderful and magnificent hell on earth.
I could hardly believe a person could exist with a name like Wilko Johnson. He was a complete original. He looked like a budget version of Keith Richards, pudding basin haircut, black suit, black shirt buttoned to the neck with no tie - the look was out of time, untenable in the mid-seventies. He was Barbie’s Ken gone loco, a guitar slinging Action Man with eyes like blazing headlights.
Wilko’s guitar playing is one of the wonders of this world. Left hand almost completely still or moving very slowly, right hand a blur. He played without a pick. I’d never seen or heard anyone play like that. A hacking of chords with wailing notes bending and bursting out of them, neither lead nor rhythm and unlike any other guitarist. Brittle and violent like glass - HH solid state amplifier, no distortion, clean, angular - modern yet deeply unfashionable. And so right.
I saw Wilko with Doctor Feelgood many times, from the early days to the meltdowns and walk-offs at the Hammersmith Odeon and Palais. I saw his subsequent bands, the Solid Senders, the short-lived Wilko Johnson and Lew Lewis amalgamation, and later on I opened for him a good few times. But I never actually met him until the early 2000s.
The truth is I was terrified of him. He cut such an unreal figure that it was different to see him as  a mere mortal, a human being, one of us. He was the epitome of dark and brooding - he had his demons - he wasn’t always the warm, outgoing and at times hilarious man he was in later life. My perception of him may of course have been coloured by hero worship.
Not that long after Ian Dury died I was opened for the Blockheads in London at the Jazz Cafe. After my set Wilko burst into the backstage. He came straight up to me. “That was a great set” he said - “You played some things on the guitar that I wish I could do.” I manage to stay cool, accept the compliment, but I was astonished. He made my day, my year, my life.
Of course, by this time the unthinkable had happened happened - Wilko had lost his hair. He seemed to carry this off with effortless aplomb  - he went from loco black-haired Ken to slack-jawed punch drunk boxer almost overnight. He carried it off because no matter what he did he exuded Wilko-ness.
A few years ago - about seventeen few years ago in fact - he toured in a package with John Otway and the Hamster who were basically a blues rock cover band with an inexplicably huge UK following. The Hamsters topped the bill, Wilko went on in the middle. At the end of his set he announced: “What follows will be truly bizarre.” And it was. At one point Wilko joined the Hamster onstage for a rendition of Born To Be Wild. He confided in me before the show : “We’ve been studying them - we think they don’t like each other - you’ll never see all three of them at the same time except on stage, and they clearly avoid being in rooms together…”
Wilko was a poet, a storyteller, highly literate and steeped in the imagery and vernacular of the blues. The most mundane account could turn into an epic tale with wild gesticulations. His big hands would reach up and place the moon in the sky for you - there always seemed to be a stars and a big silver moon in Wilko’s stories - he was a keen astronomer.
I was booked to open for him at two shows in March 2023. I was looking forward to it immensely. I hadn’t seen him in a long time - I’m an expert at losing touch. I somehow assume people I know will be around forever, but this is clearly not so. I’m going to miss Wilko - the world just lost a true original.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3485 on: November 30, 2022, 01:34:15 AM »

Beautiful  Cry

For one awful moment I thought Eric had gone…   Lips Sealed

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3486 on: November 30, 2022, 06:19:10 AM »

Beautiful  Cry

For one awful moment I thought Eric had gone…   Lips Sealed
So did I!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3487 on: November 30, 2022, 07:27:13 PM »

Christine McVie's passing is announced on her official Facebook page minutes ago. I hope this is false but there it is...
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #3488 on: November 30, 2022, 07:40:21 PM »

Christine McVie's passing is announced on her official Facebook page minutes ago. I hope this is false but there it is...
Now being reported on BBC.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3489 on: November 30, 2022, 07:41:22 PM »

It appears true.

RIP Christine McVie, 79.

No cause of death yet announced, other than "after a short illness". Sad

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3490 on: November 30, 2022, 07:43:09 PM »

Dreadful news 😥😥😥

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3491 on: November 30, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »

She always sounded like the sane one.  Used to go for walks past her house (well, probably one of them) in Kent back in the day...  RIP.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3492 on: November 30, 2022, 08:03:32 PM »

Sad news, first came across her when she was Perfect and Chicken Shack had the hit with " I'd rather go blind" and have loved her voice and music for over 50 years now. RIP Christine
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:20:55 PM by Andy » Logged

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3493 on: November 30, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »

It had already turned into a trying day and now this horrible and unexpected news. Very sad.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #3494 on: November 30, 2022, 10:50:52 PM »

Not been a good week. Wilco, now the lovely Christine McVie.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3495 on: December 01, 2022, 08:31:01 AM »

Sad news indeed. Like Jim, I first heard (of) Christine with Chicken Shack.  Fly high, songbird...

And this has shaken a memory out of the archives - Stan Webb of Chicken Shack wandering through the crowd at Cropredy playing a guitar solo - roadies feeding out a ridiculously long lead.  Great days/daze.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3496 on: December 01, 2022, 08:50:39 AM »

Sad news indeed. Like Jim, I first heard (of) Christine with Chicken Shack.  Fly high, songbird...

And this has shaken a memory out of the archives - Stan Webb of Chicken Shack wandering through the crowd at Cropredy playing a guitar solo - roadies feeding out a ridiculously long lead.  Great days/daze.

'87?  That was a fine festival indeed.  My second after first going 3 years earlier....

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3497 on: December 01, 2022, 09:23:02 AM »

Very sad news. I have very few female musical heroes but Christine McVie was definitely one. She could rock with the best of them, but her ballads are beautiful. Will be playing her music all day today.

RIP

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #3498 on: December 01, 2022, 10:21:22 AM »

Yes, I just can't imagine anyone not liking Christine's voice ... RIP. For anyone who has only heard the F Mac albums, I recommend checking out the self-titled "Christine McVie" album.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3499 on: December 01, 2022, 12:15:56 PM »

Loved her voice and her songwriting.  Her dad (Cyril Perfect) was a music teacher in Birmingham when I was a youngster. He taught my brother the flute. My brother used to say that he spent half the lesson talking about what Christine was currently up to. This was in her Chicken Shack days.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 205   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: