TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1749027 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2860 on: December 24, 2020, 12:34:09 AM »

Leslie West was on my bucket list - he didn't make it down here often.  Sad

I love his playing on the Who's Next sessions, which were bootlegged in the 1980s and finally made their official debut on the Who's Next Deluxe edition. On those live, in-studio recordings, Pete sticks mainly to rhythm and leaves the solos to Leslie. It's an amazing artifact.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #2861 on: December 24, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »

Leslie West, of Mountain fame, age 75

Gibson Junior, single P90 pickup & the most amazing tone...
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2862 on: December 27, 2020, 12:30:15 AM »

Bluegrass legend Tony Rice, aged 69.

Wonderful player.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2863 on: December 30, 2020, 05:12:59 PM »

Tommy Cartmell aka Alto Reed, longtime sax player with Bob Seger’s Silver Bullet Band. Cancer 😢 Lots of great riffs but none greater than the part on Turn The Page. Very very sad at this news. Bob paid a nice tribute to him just now on social media.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2864 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »

Tommy Cartmell aka Alto Reed, longtime sax player with Bob Seger’s Silver Bullet Band. Cancer 😢 Lots of great riffs but none greater than the part on Turn The Page. Very very sad at this news. Bob paid a nice tribute to him just now on social media.

Oh heck. I'm so glad I got to see him play with Seger in 1986 and again during the last tour. RIP Alto Reed (great stage name for a sax player, BTW).
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2865 on: December 31, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »

I saw him with Seger and the Silver Bullet band over 40 years ago but it remains one of the great gigs and his playing and showmanship, climbing up to the top of the PA stack to play one of his solos, great saxist and a sad loss

The Dude abides
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2866 on: December 31, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »

I saw him with Seger and the Silver Bullet band over 40 years ago but it remains one of the great gigs and his playing and showmanship, climbing up to the top of the PA stack to play one of his solos, great saxist and a sad loss

Indeed Jim. One memory I have of him after seeing him a few times was how much he loved to be on the stage, to the point of doing anything he could to stay out there-a bit of organ playing, strumming an acoustic, bits of percussion. Its like he didn't want to miss one moment of being out there and it showed. I played lots of Seger songs that featured him last night in tribute. My all time favorite solo he did with Seger was not on a hit record but is outstanding nevertheless-House Behind A House.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2867 on: January 02, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »

RIP Tommy C

Sad to say I've never seen Bob Seeger's band live, and don't suppose I will now
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2868 on: January 03, 2021, 05:41:40 PM »

Gerry Marsden:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/gerry-marsden-death-illness-b1781737.html

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2869 on: January 03, 2021, 05:53:50 PM »

Very sad. An icon and yet another great goes  Sad

Born to Run (but not very fast)
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #2870 on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:16 PM »

Oh.  Cry

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #2871 on: January 03, 2021, 11:23:45 PM »

As a Liverpool fan Gerry holds a special place in my heart. I feel really sad to hear this news. You'll never walk alone.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #2872 on: January 04, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »

This is a shame, Gerry and the pacemakers were played often in our house when I was a kid.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2873 on: January 04, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »

Until these obits I had absolutely no idea that YNWA was a Rodgers and Hammerstein song from '45.  I'd always thought it was a G&tP tune.  Am I alone in this?  Yes?  Oh, well...  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2874 on: January 04, 2021, 04:11:11 PM »

Until these obits I had absolutely no idea that YNWA was a Rodgers and Hammerstein song from '45.  I'd always thought it was a G&tP tune.  Am I alone in this?  Yes?  Oh, well...  Grin
I didn't know until I was about 23 when a trained opera singer got up and sang it in a pub (back in the days when every Saturday night in the pub ended in a singsong or it did in Wales anyway!!) Not a dry eye in the house! She told me it was from her favourite musical Carousel. I'm pretty sure I hired the film from the local video shop. Funny to think these days I'd have googled it, watched the track on YouTube and maybe downloaded it from iTunes all in the space of 5 minutes....

Anyway, RIP Gerry. Your voice will still ring out for years to come across the Mersey on the ferry.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2875 on: January 04, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »

I second your own 'yes'. That Pink Floyd interpolation in Fearless taught me the facts many years ago.

Jules

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #2876 on: January 04, 2021, 04:53:01 PM »

I second your own 'yes'. That Pink Floyd interpolation in Fearless taught me the facts many years ago.

Jules

I'm on that recording - it was originally on an LP called 'The Kop Choir' which was recorded at two games in 1969, both of which I was at. You'd have a hard job picking out my voice I must admit, although if there is someone more out of tune than the rest, that'll probably be me.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2877 on: January 04, 2021, 05:39:04 PM »

I'm on that recording - it was originally on an LP called 'The Kop Choir' which was recorded at two games in 1969, both of which I was at. You'd have a hard job picking out my voice I must admit, although if there is someone more out of tune than the rest, that'll probably be me.

Excellent!

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2878 on: January 04, 2021, 05:53:41 PM »

Jules
Funny I was listening to that today.  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #2879 on: January 07, 2021, 10:22:14 AM »

Peter Rowe, founder member of Fishermans Friends. He was 87, so a good innings.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: