TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:47:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1750079 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2660 on: May 09, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »

Cry

A true legend, and, as with Scotty Moore, I count myself lucky beyond measure to have seen him live. He was 72 then, and he was, obviously, not as physically active as in his youth, but he could still holler the way he did as a young 'un.

He was one of my earliest idols, and by far my favourite rocker, R.I.P, Mr Penniman.

Well I never did..
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #2661 on: May 09, 2020, 05:14:05 PM »

Little Richard. Only a few can truly deserve the honour of being called an original Rock'n Roller. Chuck, Jerry and Richard. The era really has ended...

If you want to see how Richard could whip up an audience, check out "Dont Knock The Rock" on YouTube. Blistering...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #2662 on: May 09, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »

Little Richard. Only a few can truly deserve the honour of being called an original Rock'n Roller. Chuck, Jerry and Richard. The era really has ended...

If you want to see how Richard could whip up an audience, check out "Dont Knock The Rock" on YouTube. Blistering...

Sorry. Of course Jerry is still hanging on... just.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2663 on: May 09, 2020, 06:59:45 PM »

Little Richard could hit one note on that piano and just sing 'Oooooh' and it was better than 3/4 of other stuff out there

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2664 on: May 10, 2020, 01:48:55 AM »

Very sad about Little Richard. He played a free show at the University of Texas Forty Acres Festival in 2007, and for no particular reason I didn't go. (This seems to be a recurring theme.)  It turned out to be one of his last live performances before hip trouble sidelined him permanently.

I did get to see Chuck Berry, B.B. King, and (still kicking) Jerry Lee Lewis. Not to mention Tony Bennett, Burt Bacharach, and Frankie Valli (all still vertical and performing no less). So I got that going for me.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2665 on: May 10, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »

John McKenzie of Global Village Trucking Co, Man and countless other (some very mainstream) acts...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2666 on: May 10, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »

Betty Wright, soul singer of Clean Up Woman, age 66

Born to Run (but not very fast)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #2667 on: May 10, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »

John McKenzie of Global Village Trucking Co, Man and countless other (some very mainstream) acts...

Bummer, Loved the Globs. Had no idea he went on to produce such a wildly varied CV. RIP.  Sad

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2668 on: May 10, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »

Played with Steve Hillage too... fine bass player. Sad

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2669 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »

Betty Wright, soul singer of Clean Up Woman, age 66

I remember that song. For some reason I'd have thought the singer would be much older.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2670 on: May 15, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »

Ass Ponys guitarist and Wussy member John Erhardt passed away May 4 2020, 58 years.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2671 on: May 15, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »

Noooooooo... Phil May of the Pretty Things.  RIP Phil.

This from Shindig on FB:

Very sad news just in.

PHIL MAY

9 November 1944 – 15 May 2020

Lead singer with legendary, cult, first-wave, British, R&B band The Pretty Things dies following tragic accident.

It is with very deep sadness that the management of the Pretty Things have to announce the death of the band’s lead singer, Phil May.

Phil May passed away at 7.05am on Friday 15 May at the Queen Elizabeth hospital, Kings Lynn, Norfolk. He was 75. He had been locked down in Norfolk with his family and, during the week Phil had suffered a fall from his bike and had undergone emergency hip surgery, after which complications set in.

The Pretty Things first came to prominence in the 1960s when they caused great controversy because of the length of their hair and outrageous behaviour. Fights at shows were commonplace and questions were even asked in parliament. But over the years the band retained their uncanny relevance across generations of rock music.
The Pretty Things were fundamental in the development of British music. They enjoyed much critical success and were a huge influence on artists as diverse as David Bowie, Aerosmith, The Ramones, Bob Dylan, The Sex Pistols, The White Stripes, Kasabian, The Lightning Seeds and countless more.

The band created a rich music catalogue including top-level albums such as The Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow & Parachute, and remained a significant artistic and creative force throughout their entire 55+ year career. They continue to release iconic and influential recordings, right up to the present day, with a new album due for release this year.
Phil had been in poor health for some time when the Pretty Things played their last live concert, ‘The Final Bow’, on 13 December 2018 at the Indigo, O2 where they were joined onstage by old friends David Gilmour and Van Morrison.

Phil May leaves behind his son, Paris May, his daughter, Sorrel May and his partner, Colin Graham.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2672 on: May 15, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »

Noooooooo... Phil May of the Pretty Things.  RIP Phil.

This from Shindig on FB:

Very sad news just in.

PHIL MAY

9 November 1944 – 15 May 2020

Lead singer with legendary, cult, first-wave, British, R&B band The Pretty Things dies following tragic accident.

It is with very deep sadness that the management of the Pretty Things have to announce the death of the band’s lead singer, Phil May.

Phil May passed away at 7.05am on Friday 15 May at the Queen Elizabeth hospital, Kings Lynn, Norfolk. He was 75. He had been locked down in Norfolk with his family and, during the week Phil had suffered a fall from his bike and had undergone emergency hip surgery, after which complications set in.

The Pretty Things first came to prominence in the 1960s when they caused great controversy because of the length of their hair and outrageous behaviour. Fights at shows were commonplace and questions were even asked in parliament. But over the years the band retained their uncanny relevance across generations of rock music.
The Pretty Things were fundamental in the development of British music. They enjoyed much critical success and were a huge influence on artists as diverse as David Bowie, Aerosmith, The Ramones, Bob Dylan, The Sex Pistols, The White Stripes, Kasabian, The Lightning Seeds and countless more.

The band created a rich music catalogue including top-level albums such as The Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow & Parachute, and remained a significant artistic and creative force throughout their entire 55+ year career. They continue to release iconic and influential recordings, right up to the present day, with a new album due for release this year.
Phil had been in poor health for some time when the Pretty Things played their last live concert, ‘The Final Bow’, on 13 December 2018 at the Indigo, O2 where they were joined onstage by old friends David Gilmour and Van Morrison.

Phil May leaves behind his son, Paris May, his daughter, Sorrel May and his partner, Colin Graham.

Oh heck. RIP Phil.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #2673 on: May 15, 2020, 05:39:58 PM »

Very sad news I have fond memories of Phil  Sad

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #2674 on: May 15, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »

Listening to them just yesterday RIP Phil
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2675 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:56 AM »

Sad R.I.P Phil. Rest easy.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2676 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »

Jorge Santana... the younger brother

https://www.npr.org/sections/altlatino/2020/05/19/857397725/jorge-santana-malo-guitarist-and-latin-rock-maestro-dead-at-68?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2bE0lnCaeG528NQYGCzshsDsqRuMH-Ea8FNZbADoWRiCkC51S2mY0Jw94&fbclid=IwAR1An4czxMGnGt4g3mEAWHdyfJxY2LySrC9-xB_1IBVfiKFmD7n6AcvjK5c&t=1589902482763

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2677 on: May 21, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »

There's an obituary to my cousin John Cumming in today's Guardian but I've written my own little tribute to him after seeing Sonny Rollins post about him on Twitter.

https://colinbertram.blogspot.com/2020/05/john-cumming-1948-2020.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2678 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »

Mory Kante, aged 70, in Conakry, Guinea.  Sad

Flobbadob!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2679 on: May 23, 2020, 08:15:26 PM »

Mory Kante, aged 70, in Conakry, Guinea.  Sad

Oh no. Loved his music. Cry

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: