TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:54:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1749041 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2620 on: April 29, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »

Scott Taylor, guitarist in Then Jericho from a brain tumour

I was at school with him and scarred his cheek with a fountain pen when we were 12!

Ha!  Were you still in touch with him?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #2621 on: April 29, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »

Scott Taylor, guitarist in Then Jericho from a brain tumour

I was at school with him and scarred his cheek with a fountain pen when we were 12!

Ha!  Were you still in touch with him?

Not for some time sadly.
I should explain it wasn’t done in anger or some weird tribal ritual- just the result of both being idiots.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2622 on: April 30, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »

The legendary Tony Allen. At the moment, no cause given that I can find but its only just been reported. Very sad in any event. Loved his playing

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2623 on: May 01, 2020, 06:53:20 AM »

Yeah, very sad... so glad I saw him playing with Ernest Ranglin a few years ago.

Flobbadob!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #2624 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »

Very sad. Bought the recently released album he did with Hugh Masakela (“Rejoice”) just a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended if you need a lift
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2625 on: May 02, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »

I've just learned that Jonathan Kelly, singer songwriter has died. Hed been ill for some time. I've liked his music since seeing him live supporting the Strawbs many years ago. This is a sad loss.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2626 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »

I've just learned that Jonathan Kelly, singer songwriter has died. Hed been ill for some time. I've liked his music since seeing him live supporting the Strawbs many years ago. This is a sad loss.

RIP Jonathan. Lovely man. He chose to do 2 of his (very few in number) comeback gigs at our local club after disappearing for a long period. We spoke with him at length and were totally charmed. At the first gig he started nervously at 8 PM playing solo and grew in confidence and (with a couple of breaks) was joined by a number of old friends at about 11 PM and played on into the small hours. A memorable experience. He came back a few months later and then disappeared forever.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2627 on: May 04, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »

RIP Jonathan. Lovely man. He chose to do 2 of his (very few in number) comeback gigs at our local club after disappearing for a long period. We spoke with him at length and were totally charmed. At the first gig he started nervously at 8 PM playing solo and grew in confidence and (with a couple of breaks) was joined by a number of old friends at about 11 PM and played on into the small hours. A memorable experience. He came back a few months later and then disappeared forever.

Sad news. I saw him at one of his comeback gigs c2005, in Sussex. I recall seeing Richard Digence in the audience, paying great attention
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #2628 on: May 04, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »

I saw him at this time as well at the Rock in Wentworth, I recall he wanted to play forever - RIP.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2629 on: May 04, 2020, 05:10:02 PM »

News breaking of Stranglers keyboard wizard Dave Greenfield passing at 71 from Corona virus...incredibly sad...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:24:55 PM by Dan O. » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2630 on: May 04, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »

News breaking of Stranglers keyboard wizard Dave Greenfield passing at 71 from Corona virus...incredibly sad...

Noooo.  God, I always had Jet (10 years older?) down as the first to shuffle off this mortal coil.  That is sad.  Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #2631 on: May 04, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »

He caught it in hospital where he was being treated for a heart condition or so I understand  Sad

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2632 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »

Damn.  Big Stranglers fan.  Thanks, Dave.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2633 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »

Oh no. That's awful news. I've been a fan of his keyboard playing since 1977. And they were due to have been doing a farewell tour this year. Saw him and JJ with the Purple Helmets once as well as numerous Stranglers' gigs.

Sad

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2634 on: May 04, 2020, 06:59:55 PM »

He caught it in hospital where he was being treated for a heart condition or so I understand  Sad

Oh God! That’s really sad news. Was and still am a big big fan of The Stranglers and his distinctive keyboard playing. First saw the band at university in Cardiff in 1980. The memory of that gig remains high in my mind. RIP Dave Greenfield

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #2635 on: May 04, 2020, 07:07:17 PM »

The Stranglers, 1979 Raven Tour, New Theatre Oxford...Among the first gigs I attended (not counting mandatory trips to the pantomime as a kid Cheesy)...Dave was a true pro musician, and The Stranglers were the cream of the crop compared to many of the punk/new wave acts I attended around this time...A sad day... Cry
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2636 on: May 04, 2020, 08:01:27 PM »

Only time I ever saw them* was headlining the Friday of Reading Rock in '83, a very schizophrenic lineup that day.  Big Country were on before and were outstanding, but the Stranglers were immense to these 16 year old ears.  He was definitely at the heart of their sound.

*Actually, just remembered I saw them at Canterbury Fayre in 2002 as well...although that was a lot less memorable.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2637 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »

Well, s**t.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #2638 on: May 04, 2020, 08:59:03 PM »

Dave's keys and Cornwell's vocals defined the sound of the Stranglers - RIP.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2639 on: May 04, 2020, 11:19:32 PM »

Very sad  Cry I was/am a huge fan of The Stranglers. As others have said, that keyboard sound defined them. Will listen to each of their albums in sequence tomorrow. RIP Dave

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: