TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1748965 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2360 on: August 04, 2019, 05:16:52 PM »

DA Pennebaker, legendary “rockumentary” maker, aged 94. RIP

Born to Run (but not very fast)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2361 on: August 08, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »

Sad news: it has been announced that artist Francesca Sundsten (wife of multi-instrumentalist Bill Rieflin, and creator of much of the recent artwork for King Crimson) has died at the age of just 59. Lymphoma.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in "Celebrities...", but decided that as, in my humble opinion, her artwork complements the current KC sound, I'd put it here.

Condolences to Mr. Bill.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2362 on: August 08, 2019, 07:38:31 AM »

Sad news: it has been announced that artist Francesca Sundsten (wife of multi-instrumentalist Bill Rieflin, and creator of much of the recent artwork for King Crimson) has died at the age of just 59. Lymphoma.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in "Celebrities...", but decided that as, in my humble opinion, her artwork complements the current KC sound, I'd put it here.

Condolences to Mr. Bill.

D'oh.  I hadn't made the connection with BR.  So, this explains his in and outness during the last few years.  Very sad...she was a massively talented soul.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2363 on: August 08, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »

David Berman of Silver Jews.

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2364 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »

RIP Nick Walusko aka Nicky Wonder of Wondermints and long time member of Brian Wilson's touring band...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2365 on: August 08, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »

RIP Nick Walusko aka Nicky Wonder of Wondermints and long time member of Brian Wilson's touring band...

Sux.  Sad  Nicky Wonder was one of the highlights of every Brian Wilson show I've seen.  He had great stage presence and, if I recall correctly, he served as the emcee at the shows.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2366 on: August 08, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »

Very sad news.  The Wondermints (like their chums Baby Lemonade - aka Love) got to play with their heroes, but thereby lost their own bands in the process.  Still, that first album is a corking poptastic, er, wonder.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2367 on: August 27, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »

Neal Casal aged 51, no confirmation of the cause of death as yet. Shocked by this, that's no age to go. Lovely guy, met him a few times as a mate of mine knew him well. Excellent songwriter and guitarist, loved all his work, solo, with Hazy Malaze and with Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. RIP Neal.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2368 on: August 27, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »

Neal Casal aged 51, no confirmation of the cause of death as yet. Shocked by this, that's no age to go. Lovely guy, met him a few times as a mate of mine knew him well. Excellent songwriter and guitarist, loved all his work, solo, with Hazy Malaze and with Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. RIP Neal.

He was certainly great the many times I saw him with Ryan. Very sad RIP Neal

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2369 on: August 27, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »

What?!  Oh no....  Cry

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2370 on: August 27, 2019, 03:25:51 PM »

Sad to hear this. I only have one album of his, Basement Dreams, bought on the strength of a track called Me and Queen Sylvia on an Americana compilation (possibly Uncut magazine, or Rough Guide To...).
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2371 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »

Now confirmed as suicide.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2372 on: August 27, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »

I know him best from the Cardinals, CRB and his interactions with the Dead family.  I was only just watching footage of him playing (beautifully) at the weekend.  Too sad.

Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #2373 on: August 30, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »

I was shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Neal Casal.  Such a waste.

I remember seeing him two or three times with Ryan Adams.  He opened for Ryan and then played in the band.  I've just dug out a bootleg of their gig at the Borderline, London (19.09.06) which was very informal and mostly acoustic.

Half way through, Neal had to disappear for a 'bathroom break' which caused Ryan to come up with an impromptu song which began "Neal Casal went to pee just now ..."  It was very amusing, as was the banter once Neal returned where he described the bizarre experience of hearing a song from the next room about what he was doing, while he was doing.

I have his CD No Need to Reminisce which includes You don't see me crying and Freeway to the canyon, two beautiful tracks.

About ten years ago, he brought out a book of photographs Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of other Windows which is intimate and candid.  A very talented man. Cry
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2374 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »

I was shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Neal Casal.  Such a waste.

I remember seeing him two or three times with Ryan Adams.  He opened for Ryan and then played in the band.  I've just dug out a bootleg of their gig at the Borderline, London (19.09.06) which was very informal and mostly acoustic.

Half way through, Neal had to disappear for a 'bathroom break' which caused Ryan to come up with an impromptu song which began "Neal Casal went to pee just now ..."  It was very amusing, as was the banter once Neal returned where he described the bizarre experience of hearing a song from the next room about what he was doing, while he was doing.

I have his CD No Need to Reminisce which includes You don't see me crying and Freeway to the canyon, two beautiful tracks.

About ten years ago, he brought out a book of photographs Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of other Windows which is intimate and candid.  A very talented man. Cry

He did the cover photos for a Danny and the Champs album too.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2375 on: September 11, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Daniel Johnston https://www.stereogum.com/2057990/daniel-johnston-death-58/obit/?utm_source=share-fb&utm_medium=button&fbclid=IwAR2VHaHr_1uhVKNuibcCJhn0T71b9pYOeVJKoytH1ZezdZ4qrRabKZoPzTw

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2376 on: September 11, 2019, 09:53:25 PM »

Just heard.  Travel on well, Daniel.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2377 on: September 12, 2019, 01:58:19 AM »

As much as for his music, he's famous in Austin for a whimsical mural he painted on the side of Sound Exchange, a long defunct record store on the Drag across the street from the University of Texas campus.  RIP
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #2378 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:20 AM »

Hossam Ramzy  Cry

He's collaborated with all the great and good (Simon Emerson, Robert Plant, Loreena McKennitt etc) and produced much of the drum music and middle eastern rhythms that we danced to. Phil even attended one of his drumming workshops about 11 years ago. Love his album Immortal Egypt.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2379 on: September 12, 2019, 09:21:42 AM »

I saw the daniel Johnston documentary  some years ago and found it very moving.  I also remember visiting a small exhibition of his art. The concept of the outsider artist is one I find interesting,  as mental health issues are making a way into various forms, including comedy.

I'm sorry about Hossam ramzy too. I only know him via his collaboration with the new age artist Phil Thornton.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: