TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:08:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1749050 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1780 on: September 03, 2017, 03:10:04 PM »

Walter Becker of Steely Dan  Sad only 67. May you forever jazz-rock Walt x

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1781 on: September 03, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »

I finally did something I've wanted to do for a looong time....I bought a ticket to see Steely Dan for a UK show next month....R.I.P Walt...I'll never get to see you now, but your music will live on.....

Well I never did..
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1782 on: September 03, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »

RIP Walter Becker, very sad news.

Here's Donald Fagen's tribute :

"Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967. We started writing nutty little tunes on an upright piano in a small sitting room in the lobby of Ward Manor, a mouldering old mansion on the Hudson River that the college used as a dorm.
We liked a lot of the same things: jazz (from the twenties through the mid-sixties), W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, science fiction, Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Berger, and Robert Altman films come to mind. Also soul music and Chicago blues.
Walter had a very rough childhood – I’ll spare you the details. Luckily, he was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny. Like a lot of kids from fractured families, he had the knack of creative mimicry, reading people’s hidden psychology and transforming what he saw into bubbly, incisive art. He used to write letters (never meant to be sent) in my wife Libby’s singular voice that made the three of us collapse with laughter.
His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies, and we lost touch for a while. In the eighties, when I was putting together the NY Rock and Soul Review with Libby, we hooked up again, revived the Steely Dan concept and developed another terrific band.
I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1783 on: September 03, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »

I am broken hearted.

Was so excited to be going to see the Dan in October. I wonder what the implications are for the O2 show, given Donald's comments above. I would rather it was cancelled but it sounds as though it might not be.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1784 on: September 03, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »

Walter Becker's passing has definitely given me pause. Steely Dan appeared on the OGWT in about 1972 and I've been a fan ever since. I'm listening to Becker's "Circus Money" album right now. Despite the critical acclaim that Aja garnered, 1973's "Countdown to Ecstasy" remains my favourite Steely Dan album.

My twin favourites on that album are My Old School and Bodhisattva. On balance, the former is the better by a smidgin of pinch. Today, anyhow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1785 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

Big shock at the passing of Walter Becker. I was lucky enough to see The Dan a few years ago in London and remember a great night. RIP

Born to Run (but not very fast)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1786 on: September 03, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »

Sad news RIP.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1787 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:19 PM »

I am broken hearted.

Was so excited to be going to see the Dan in October. I wonder what the implications are for the O2 show, given Donald's comments above. I would rather it was cancelled but it sounds as though it might not be.

I'm going too...Donald did some shows in July without Walt when he fell ill, so I guess it will go ahead.

Well I never did..
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1788 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »

Yup, I'm going as well.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1789 on: September 03, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »

Not 100% but I think the marvellous Mick Softley knowing me it was years ago but sad news all the same!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1790 on: September 04, 2017, 01:10:32 AM »

We saw Donald Fagan and his auxiliary band, the Nightflyers, last night at ACL Live.  It was a fabulous show and he was in a great mood.  In addition to DF solo tunes and a fascinating selection of covers ("Shakedown Street" by the Grateful Dead, anyone?), he played a selection of the most popular Steely Dan tunes:  Hey Nineteen, Bodhisattva, My Old School, Dirty Work, Kid Charlemagne, and Reelin' In The Years

After such a tremendous evening, it was heartbreaking to wake up to this news today.

I interpret DF's statement to mean that the musical entity known as "Steely Dan" will continue.  After last night, I can say with confidence that DF can carry the torch quite nicely.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1791 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »

Not 100% but I think the marvellous Mick Softley knowing me it was years ago but sad news all the same!

Mick Softley has passed away??  Cry Shocked

Edit: It's already on Wikipedia. Died 1st Sept. This is just too much. Any Mother Doesn't Grumble was the reissue of last year, for me. It always baffled me Mick Softley wasn't better known and appreciated.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1792 on: September 06, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »

Can founder, bassist, sampling pioneer Holger Czukay, aged 79. I remember seeing the Tago  :'(Mago album in a Liverpool record shop and asking to hear it. The track selected was Oh Yeah, and I listened to it through handheld headphones. The bass just blew me away, and I was hooked. Holger's "Movies" album will be played today, along with the Can Singles cd. RIP.

Flobbadob!
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #1793 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »

Dave Hlubek, founding member of Molly Hatchett, succumbed to a heart attack - age 67.
JohnP69

« Reply #1794 on: September 06, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »

Can founder, bassist, sampling pioneer Holger Czukay, aged 79. I remember seeing the Tago  :'(Mago album in a Liverpool record shop and asking to hear it. The track selected was Oh Yeah, and I listened to it through handheld headphones. The bass just blew me away, and I was hooked. Holger's "Movies" album will be played today, along with the Can Singles cd. RIP.

Excellent choices there Paul
I shall be giving "Movies" a spin tonight and toasting the great man.
R.I.P Holger
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1795 on: September 06, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »

Dave Hlubek, founding member of Molly Hatchett, succumbed to a heart attack - age 67.

Aww, that's a shame. Fond memories of learning 'Boogie No More' (well, the chords, at least) at a formative age.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1796 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »

That was 2012, I believe, according to the report.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1797 on: September 06, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »

As was the post you replied to!

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1798 on: September 06, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »

As was the post you replied to!

Yes, I realised that straight away and tried to remove it. I thought I'd done so, but clearly
the iPad wasn't co-operating.

My apologies for the stupidity. Embarrassed

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1799 on: September 09, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »

Don Williams.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: