TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1749099 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1100 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:38 AM »

They are the old Mumford and Sons.
Some good stuff on the earlier albums. RIP Glenn . No more please.

You're a braver man than I.  But, yeah...on all points.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1101 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:26 AM »

Glenn Frey Sad

I became quite emotional at my last Eagles concert, May 19, 2015, at the Frank Erwin Center, when Bernie Leadon played the solo during "Peaceful Easy Feeling."  I think I knew it was my final chance to see the Eagles, but I didn't know how final it really was.

Didn't know they asked Bernie up.  That's cool.  He was my favourite Eagle.  Partly because he'd been a Burrito, but mostly because of how he played that Tele.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1102 on: January 19, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »

RIP Mott The Hoople's Dale Griffin. From Angel Air Records' Facebook page :

"DALE GRIFFIN aka BUFFIN 1948-2016.
One of the nicest, friendly and talented men I have ever known.. All he ever wanted was for his beloved Mott The Hoople to reform and it was his detirmination that achieved that very feat in 2009 but sadly by then he was too ill to perform at the five sold out dates though he did join the band for encores.
Dale died peacefully in his sleep yesterday. RIP"

Cry Cry

So glad I got to see him play with the band, if only briefly in 2009. I thought he was older than 67 though.

Mott (along with the Beatles) were/are my desert island band. It had been a rough couple of weeks.

Some of the fondest memories of my youth are seeing a pre-dudes Mott the Hoople playing at the old Liverpool Stadium. What a live band they were - totally chaotic, yet so exciting. I still liked them and saw them a couple of times after the hits, but nothing matched those early gigs for pure rock thrills.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1103 on: January 19, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »

One of the nicest, friendly and talented men I have ever known.. All he ever wanted was for his beloved Mott The Hoople to reform and it was his detirmination that achieved that very feat in 2009 but sadly by then he was too ill to perform at the five sold out dates though he did join the band for encores.

Cry Cry

So glad I got to see him play with the band, if only briefly in 2009. I thought he was older than 67 though.

Mott (along with the Beatles) were/are my desert island band. It had been a rough couple of weeks.

Some of the fondest memories of my youth are seeing a pre-dudes Mott the Hoople playing at the old Liverpool Stadium. What a live band they were - totally chaotic, yet so exciting. I still liked them and saw them a couple of times after the hits, but nothing matched those early gigs for pure rock thrills.

Totally agree. Only ever saw them at Weeley in '71, a wonderful, exciting rock band. For me, it was all over once they hooked up with Bowie.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1104 on: January 19, 2016, 08:34:27 AM »

Cry Cry

Spot on.

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1105 on: January 19, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »

Cry Cry

In those days when Mott walked onto the stage there was an electric charge in the air every time. Something I've never felt anywhere else before or since.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1106 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »

Oh No! Poor old Buffin. I knew he'd been ill. Saw Mott on the 2009 tour, without him of course.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #1107 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »

Add to this Dallas Taylor, drummer with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
Jeez.

it'll be fine.......
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1108 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »

Jeez.

Last year, Abby.

Jules

Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #1109 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

RIP Glenn Frey

Eagles have posted the following:

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia."

I am a bit surprised by the causes of his death, you would expect someone who suffers from arthritis to live in some of the Southern states were the climate is better (warmer) and maybe he also would not have caught pneumonia.

I used to have their first 5 albums and I think Take it easy is one of the best songs they ever recorded.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1110 on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »

Jeez.

Last year, Abby.

Jules

Yes, I did realise after i posted but there are also reports of yesterday, if you google. ......see, you can't clive everything you  read on the Internet!

it'll be fine.......
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1111 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

RIP Glenn Frey

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia."

I am a bit surprised by the causes of his death, you would expect someone who suffers from arthritis to live in some of the Southern states were the climate is better (warmer) and maybe he also would not have caught pneumonia.

I used to have their first 5 albums and I think Take it easy is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

Actually , as someone who also has rheumatoid arthritis, let me say that cool/cold is much more comfortable, (osteo-arthritis does better in warm) and the treatment for RA will suppress the abiliity to fight off any infections like pneumonia, so it's a sad and horrible disease to have.. RIP Glen Frey.

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #1112 on: January 19, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »

RIP Glenn Frey

Actually , as someone who also has rheumatoid arthritis, let me say that cool/cold is much more comfortable, (osteo-arthritis does better in warm) and the treatment for RA will suppress the abiliity to fight off any infections like pneumonia, so it's a sad and horrible disease to have.. RIP Glen Frey.

I did not know that, thanks for explaining this.

So this medicine has had in this instance a lethal side effect.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1113 on: January 19, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »

Giorgio Gomelsky
28th February 1934 – 13th  January 2016

Who? you may well say.....

The larger-than-life Georgian (via Switzerland, England, France and America) was described by All Music Guide’s Richie Unterberger as “one of the secret heroes of British rock, and indeed one of the more important non-musicians in rock history”.

Memories of Giorgio conjure many words: visionary, film-maker, promoter, maverick, producer, rogue, impresario, manager, curator, label boss, mentor. All with a tireless passion and enthusiasm for his art and artists. Be it his significant role in launching the careers of two of the most influential British bands in music history with the Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds, his pioneering Crawdaddy Club in Richmond, managing and producing The Yardbirds from 1963 to 1966 (including six worldwide hit singles plus the legendary ‘Five Live Yardbirds’ album recorded at London’s famous Marquee Club) working and living with the genius of Sonny Boy Williamson, trailblazing with Magma, nurturing and enthusing Soft Machine, Gong, Bill Laswell and Material and any number of musicians such as Jeff Buckley, REM, The Minutemen, et all, that caught his ear passing through his Red Door and Green Door clubs in New York City. All were championed equally by Gomelsky with the same energy, enthusiasm and madcap (but most often inspired) ideas and advice.

While physically frail in recent years, his mind was still sharp, still hustling, still full of ideas that he would push onto his long-time colleague and friend Jean-Luc Young, founder of Charly Records. Indeed, he was about to participate in an updated definitive edition of his critically acclaimed ‘The Yardbirds Story’ box set in conjunction with Charly and the surviving group members and was eager to know what tapes had recently been unearthed, especially reels from a long-forgotten personal archive found in a crate in the Charly archive.

Much will doubtless be written about Giorgio Gomelsky over the coming weeks but for now, we salute a true maverick and his incredible contribution to British R&B, the avant-garde and the underdog with less of a ‘Still I’m Sad’ and more ‘Got To Hurry’ as we celebrate his work with The Yardbirds and other artists during 2016.

Over a year in preparation, ‘Five Live Yardbirds - The Definitive Edition’ will be released in March, to be followed by further remastered and expanded editions of Yardbirds classic albums, culminating in the release of a career-spanning Box Set. Another deluxe box set, ’Faces & Places: Giorgio Gomelsky’s British R&B Story 1962-1967’ is a collection of the producer’s rare and now historically important “field recordings” documenting early performances by the likes of The Yardbirds, Jimmy Page, Sonny Boy Williamson, The Animals, Jack Bruce, Graham Bond, Ginger Baker, Spencer Davies, The Steampacket, Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry, Brian Auger & The Trinity, Julie Driscoll, The Soft Machine, Davy Graham, Gary Farr & The T-Bones and more is nearing completion and a release date will be announced shortly.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1114 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

RIP Glenn Frey

That report simply states where he died, not where he lived.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1115 on: January 19, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »

see, you can't clive everything you  read on the Internet!  

I clive you, Abby.  Thousands wouldn't clive you, but I do.   Grin

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1116 on: January 19, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »

Giorgio Gomelsky

I did actually post about Giorgio the other day.  I was surprised that it went unnoticed.

Jules

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1117 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »

Jules

Does Clive know about this I wonder??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1118 on: January 19, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »

Giorgio Gomelsky

I did actually post about Giorgio the other day.  I was surprised that it went unnoticed.

Jules

The Stones' first 'unofficial' manager before Loog Oldham whisked them away...

Cheers,

Slippy Cool
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1119 on: January 19, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »

Jules

Does Clive know about this I wonder??

God's damn the keypad on this tablet!

it'll be fine.......
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: