TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1772360 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1040 on: January 11, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »

Trying to listen to Hunky Dory in work without crying. Life on Mars? is such a brilliant song   Cry  Cry

I should add that this song has always had the power to make me emotional

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1041 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep

Ditto.  In fact I didn't get back to sleep at all.  Maybe he was saying ta-ta.   Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1042 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep

Ditto.  In fact I didn't get back to sleep at all.  Maybe he was saying ta-ta.   Smiley

Jules

Maybe!

Great post Andy by the way.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1043 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »

Great post Andy.
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #1044 on: January 11, 2016, 05:56:54 PM »

Andy, thank you very much for your post.  Cry
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1045 on: January 11, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

Sad day.
MIND posted on FB about him making it ok to be different which helped many people.
He definitely changed the world

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1046 on: January 11, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »

I deeply regret never seeing Mr. Jones perform in spite of multiple opportunities.  RIP David Bowie.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1047 on: January 11, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »

Thank you for your very articulate posts, a truly great artistic giant and a significant part of my early teenage years - David RIP.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #1048 on: January 12, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »

I was woken by my son crying as he told me Bowie had died, it is strange when an icon from our own youth is seen to be truly relevant to the 20 year olds of today.

We sat and listened to Backstar again.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1049 on: January 12, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »

Strange that none of the obits, etc, that I have seen or heard has mentioned Tin Machine... Wink

But I guess one or two clunkers in the midst of that back catalogue can be forgiven!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1050 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

Strange that none of the obits, etc, that I have seen or heard has mentioned Tin Machine... Wink

But I guess one or two clunkers in the midst of that back catalogue can be forgiven!

Or indeed his association with Steeleye Span
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1051 on: January 12, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »

Weird co-incidences yesterday. The answer to one of the questions on Pointless (presumably recorded and scheduled months ago) was David Bowie. Then later on I sat down to catch up with the second episode of Deutschland 83 and the closing music on the episode was Modern Love.

That one was mentioned on the "69 Facts about David Bowie" article on the BBC website.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1052 on: January 12, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »

Most of the obits I heard were on the radio and they all mentioned Tim Machine, albeit as an "...he didn't always hit the mark.." comment  Roll Eyes

I only found out yesterday that he played sax for Steeleye Span (can't recall the track). A man of many parts, talents and facets. Some people have bemoaned the coverage given to his death, I don't think it was overdone at all - he was up there with Elvis, Sinatra, Michael Jackson etc.

Did anyone hear Rick Wakeman play Life on Mars at the end of Simon Mayo's radio show yesterday?  Cry it was beautiful

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1053 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »

Did anyone hear Rick Wakeman play Life on Mars at the end of Simon Mayo's radio show yesterday?  Cry it was beautiful
A bit ornate, but a great tribute.

"Tin Machine" did get a mention, but most obits centered on the 11 Albums in the 1970s which meant they concentrated mainly on that period.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1054 on: January 12, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »

I only found out yesterday that he played sax for Steeleye Span (can't recall the track).

It was 'To Know Him is to Love Him' on 'Now We are Six' - I remember purchasing that one when it first came out and not being overly impressed by that track, but they did a decent live version, usually as an encore.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1055 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »

I woke up to t he news on the radio, this morning. It seemed unreal, like Lennon's death but not so bad. What impresses me is he must have worked on the last album in the  knowledge he had little time.  Sad

Yes, that would indeed be the case.  People will be listening to it again now, with that in mind.

Jules

I was watching the 'LAazarus' video @ an office with some friends yesterday, and something certainly fell into place.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1056 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »

Most of the obits I heard were on the radio and they all mentioned Tim Machine, albeit as an "...he didn't always hit the mark.." comment  Roll Eyes

I only found out yesterday that he played sax for Steeleye Span (can't recall the track). A man of many parts, talents and facets. Some people have bemoaned the coverage given to his death, I don't think it was overdone at all - he was up there with Elvis, Sinatra, Michael Jackson etc.

I think this is on  Rick's Piano Album, along with Yes favourites, and others.

Rick spoke at length about David Bowie on yesterday's R4 news.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1057 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »

Weird co-incidences yesterday. The answer to one of the questions on Pointless (presumably recorded and scheduled months ago) was David Bowie. Then later on I sat down to catch up with the second episode of Deutschland 83 and the closing music on the episode was Modern Love.

That one was mentioned on the "69 Facts about David Bowie" article on the BBC website.

Not quite sure about these 'facts' Gub.  I think one of them states that he played most of the instruments on 'Diamond Dogs'?? Maybe, the single but surely not the album that features the great  Herbie Flowers on bass I think plus Aynsley Dunbar (drums) & Alan Parker  (guitar) et...there's also the contentious point about who played the great 'Rebel Rebel' riff..

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1058 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »

Not quite sure about these 'facts' Gub.  I think one of them states that he played most of the instruments on 'Diamond Dogs'?? Maybe, the single but surely not the album that features the great  Herbie Flowers on bass I think plus Aynsley Dunbar (drums) & Alan Parker  (guitar) et...there's also the contentious point about who played the great 'Rebel Rebel' riff..

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool

I didn't say they were accurate. I just said it was mentioned.  Grin
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1059 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »

David Bowie was a big part of my formative years. I loved the singles, and was amazed by some of the album tracks. I couldn't believe somebody could write lyrics like "All the madmen". I also had the first dance with my wife to "Life on mars".

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: