TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1751121 times)
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« on: May 21, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »

How sad to hear of the death of Robin Gibb Cry He had such a talent for song crafting and songs such as "New York mining disaster are in my opinion one of the greatest folk songs of modern times.

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »

How sad to hear of the death of Robin Gibb Cry He had such a talent for song crafting and songs such as "New York mining disaster are in my opinion one of the greatest folk songs of modern times.

C x

Very true - such a pity they will be mainly mainly for the Saturday Night Fever rubbish

Unfortunately I cant hear the Bee Gees without remembering Kenny Everett's "Massive Chew Sets"
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

Despite his fame, Robin never seemed to be affected by it. To me he always seemed to come across as a bloke who I would have enjoyed having as a friend. A straight forward and natural fellah... RIP.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

It's ironic that the song Stayin' Alive is used to keep time when giving someone chest compressions for First Aid  Roll Eyes

I loved the Bee Gees disco stuff - You Should Be Dancing is awesome and always fills a dance floor (which is what dance music is all about after all!) so I don't think it's an issue if that's all they're remembered for. Probably better that, than wearing tight white jeans  Lips Sealed

Apparently they loved the Kenny Everett sketch  Grin even though they didn't appreciate Clive Anderson's ribbing (they walked out of his show).

I miss Kenny Everett  Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »

I miss Kenny Everett  Sad

Me too - he was required viewing back in the early 1980s and if they were to repeat his shows now I bet they'd stand the test of time.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »

Can't say I was ever a fan of the BGs. Some good songs, but oh my word, I couldn't stand the voices! Sad of course that Robin Gibb has died at such a relatively young age.  Does anyone remember the Hee Bee Gee Bees?

That's not dirt, it's patination!
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »

Thanks for that - Meaningful Songs Sung In High Voices (With a Thousand Violins) will be streaming through my head all day now.
Loved the Bee Gees and their harmonies from the first hearing of New York Mining Disaster in 1967. They were a major part of the soundtrack to that period with Words, Massachusetts, To Love Somebody etc. Its a shame that their back catalogue has never been released properly, including Robin's solo stuff. A few of the albums contained a fair share of fillers, but on the other hand there were some gems that didn't see the light of day as singles.
Its a shame that perceptions of their image and issues in dealing with the media spotlight got in the way of the appreciation of their talents.
I agree that Robin came across as a decent and nice chap and he certainly got involved with a lot of deserving causes. RIP.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

Can't say I was ever a fan of the BGs. Some good songs, but oh my word, I couldn't stand the voices! Sad of course that Robin Gibb has died at such a relatively young age.  Does anyone remember the Hee Bee Gee Bees?

'Meaningless songs, in very high voices,
With a thousand viloins.'

A bit unkind, but funny at the time.
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »

Robin Gibb was the first person to agree to become a patron of Festival Spirit.  Sadly he fell ill before he could get too involved. From th ereputation he had here in Oxfordshire he would have done a wonderful job.

Always found them to be one of those groups I liked far more than I realised. Listening again to the greatest hits, there were many great pop songs over a very long period of time. If Martin Carthy covered them, they had to be good!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »

'Meaningless songs, in very high voices,
With a thousand viloins.'

A bit unkind, but funny at the time.

They featured Angus Deayton, who wrote the lyrics,  I have the album somewhere. Are Trains Electric?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »

Perhaps this will remind some of you how wonderful his songs were  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRqAzCevsY&feature=related

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »

I attended a recording of a "modern" - i.e. pop music - Nativity programme in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral way back in the late 60s (church youth club trip).  Trendy vicars much in evidence.

Anyway, the Bee Gees mimed their hit "World" (and I think another song), Sir Bernard Miles and Kenny Everett (and others) provided various readings; I think Roger McGough was involved in some capacity...

Robin Gibb dropped a handkerchief & one of the girls in our party nabbed it.  

Personally, I don't like most of what the Bee Gees did after "Jive Talkin", but I've always admired their songwriting talents.

RIP Robin - as others have said, one of the good guys.

Flobbadob!
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

Well, I agree with all that, though I haven't really enjoyed much Bee-Gees music since, well, 1941 I suppose, when the Mining Disaster was.

Sad to see Donna Summer is gone, too. I know that electronic dance music isn't a big thing on an acoustic music forum, but she was a true innovator.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »

Nights on Broadway, First of May, Spirits Having Flown, Words... I have a sneaky respect for The Brothers Gibb

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »

Doc Watson  Sad

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/arts/music/doc-watson-folk-musician-dies-at-89.html?_r=1

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »

Yes, on today's news. Another great folkn'bluesman gone.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »

How odd on the USA obit to see him referred to as 'Mr' Watson. I have had his 'Good Deal' album since it came out, Peach Pickin' time in Georgia etc.

Ironic that he said, if he hadn't gone blind, he would happily have been a motor mechanic!
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »

Oh bum. Not entirely unexpected but still a shame and a great loss. All my bluegrass heroes are dying Sad
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »

There's a good tribute to Doc Watson here -

http://www.mixcloud.com/folkradiouk/the-mountains-and-the-doc-a-tribute-to-doc-watson/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

This one from the Watauga Democrat left me with a lump in my throat.

Doc looked very frail at MerleFest in April but, as ever, had everyone enthralled - he will be very sadly missed

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: