TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:50:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1781198 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #4000 on: February 08, 2024, 07:54:08 PM »

Country singer/parodist Mojo Nixon, aged 66, died after performing on a music cruise yesterday.

He's best known in the states for the novelty song "Elvis is Everywhere," which I vaguely remember from early adulthood. Apparently, he built on this one "hit" to have quite a career. R.I.P.

Sad to hear this. The album he did with Jello Biafra - Prairie Home Invasion - is a favourite of mine. Songs like "Are You Drinking With Me Jesus" and "Let's Go Burn Ole Nashville Down" always bring a smile to my face.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4001 on: February 10, 2024, 02:42:30 PM »

Damo Suzuki - 2nd vocalist of Can during, arguably, their greatest creative period.

Been flying around twitter all day...appears to now be confirmed, sadly (although he's been ill for ever, whilst still playing).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4002 on: February 10, 2024, 03:26:55 PM »

Cry

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4003 on: February 11, 2024, 08:27:36 AM »

Damo was diagnosed with colon cancer back in 2014 (and given only a 10% chance of seeing out that year!)  

I saw Can twice at the Liverpool (boxing) Stadium in the 70s, first time with Damo and then after he'd left - 2 very different gigs, but each stunning.

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4004 on: February 23, 2024, 03:53:32 PM »

Bobby Tench.   79.

I knew of him from Streetwalkers but he has quite a pedigree.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4005 on: March 06, 2024, 11:40:48 PM »

RIP Steely Dan Keyboard player Jim Beard

Beard, a musician also known for his collaborations with jazz legends including Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin and Wayne Shorter, died in a New York City hospital on Saturday, after "a sudden illness".

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4006 on: March 08, 2024, 12:50:19 AM »

Singer Steve Lawrence, 88. Half of Steve and Eydie [Gormé]. They were ubiquitous on my television set in the 1970s, long after they had already established themselves as extraordinary pop singers.

I associate Steve and Eydie with long sideburns, piled-high toupees, ruffled shirts, velvet tuxedos and bright orange shag carpeting. R.I.P. to them and to my childhood.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4007 on: March 08, 2024, 10:57:56 PM »

RIP Steely Dan Keyboard player Jim Beard

Beard, a musician also known for his collaborations with jazz legends including Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin and Wayne Shorter, died in a New York City hospital on Saturday, after "a sudden illness".

Great keyboard player, I saw him in Steely Dan a few years ago

Singer Steve Lawrence, 88. Half of Steve and Eydie [Gormé]. They were ubiquitous on my television set in the 1970s, long after they had already established themselves as extraordinary pop singers.

I associate Steve and Eydie with long sideburns, piled-high toupees, ruffled shirts, velvet tuxedos and bright orange shag carpeting. R.I.P. to them and to my childhood.

He played the agent Maury Sline in the Blues Brothers

The Dude abides
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4008 on: March 11, 2024, 08:02:38 PM »

News filtering through that Karl Wallinger (World Party, Waterboys, etc.) has left the building aged 66

https://www.loudersound.com/news/kurt-wallinger-of-world-party-has-died-aged-66
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #4009 on: March 11, 2024, 08:48:37 PM »

Awful. Goodbye Jumbo was/is such a wonderful record. There’s a great story about him spilling red wine on Prince’s sheepskin rug which should be enshrined in ‘meet your heroes’ lore. And, of course, his legendary message to Guy Chambers regarding “She’s The One”… [wiki] “When introducing the song in live performances, Williams often claims that it is one of the best songs he's ever written, despite not actually having written the song. This culminated in a telephone outburst from the song's actual writer, Wallinger, to Chambers, stating "Your f**king friend Robbie Williams. Tell him from me that he's a c**t".”

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4010 on: March 11, 2024, 09:28:25 PM »

News filtering through that Karl Wallinger (World Party, Waterboys, etc.) has left the building aged 66

https://www.loudersound.com/news/kurt-wallinger-of-world-party-has-died-aged-66
just seen Ian McNabbs post. Terrible news. Saw WP many moons ago and they were excellent, with the also excellent Dodgy as support. It was as Dodgys first album was released.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #4011 on: March 11, 2024, 09:53:07 PM »

Not a musician, but a significant figure of the Scottish music scene. Ian Green of Greentrax Records.  He ran a folk club in Edinburgh while still a Police Inspector and ran a sideline selling folk records. On retirement, he established Greentrax Records in 1986 with his pension, signing a who's who's of the Scottish folk scene, including Eric Bogle, Dick Gaughan, Ceolbeg, The Whistlebinkies, and a host more. He was 90 years of age.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4012 on: March 12, 2024, 10:08:14 AM »

Eric Carmen, former Raspberry, before he was all by himself.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4013 on: March 12, 2024, 01:44:17 PM »

Ian McNabb on Karl Wallinger (from FB):

I knew Karl. Ever since I purchased Private Revolution (1987) I've been a dedicated fan of his work. I knew his name from his tenure in The Waterboys, his playing, singing and arrangement skills scattered throughout A Pagan Place (1984) and This Is The Sea (1985), but I didn't meet him (properly) until the early nineties when ex-Icicle Works drummer Chris Sharrock became his loyal padawan - often enduring weeks of what can only be described as "squatting" in Karl's 'Seaview' studio in central London, having rare respite from KarlWorld™ in a sleeping bag under the grand piano, fingers aching, not from drumming duties - but from operating the Scalextric handset on a round-the-clock basis. And losing repeatedly to a chain-smoking, cackling, slightly-mad adversary.
    Karl comes from Prestatyn but I was always impressed with his Royal Air Force/Beatles conversational burrrrr, a curious thing which was forged in his time at Charterhouse (a public school in Surrey where Proggy, Peter Gabriel-fronted Genesis bloomed) and his lifelong obsession with the Fab Four.
   He was very funny, very talented and very lazy. He was always in his beloved studio, doing 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 but he enjoyed drinking tea and doing bugger all as much as he enjoyed crafting magpie melodic marvels such as 'Ship Of Fools', 'When The Rainbow Comes', 'Is It Like Today' and "White Album"-homage beauties such as 'She's The One' which made him a lot of money when Robbie Williams covered it - but Karl wasn't impressed. At all. No siree (a story for another time).
  Random memories are coming through the mist - the time we were having food after a Brian Wilson show in London when Karl decided to start having a pop at Ringo Starr for some reason - unaware that my guest that night, and sitting right next to me at the table - was Lee, Ringo's daughter.
   When Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve came out he didn't stop playing it for a week. I told him it sounded like Simple Minds and he told me to **** off.
  I once played slide guitar on a version of 'If Not For You' which I've never heard since. I would pop in to see Karl occasionally when I was at John Henry's rehearsal rooms on Brewery Road, shoot the s**t briefly - then hop it. I would attend his rare World Party shows whenever I could. They were always immersive and almost holy in nature - such was the intensity and beauty of his music.
The last time I saw him play was at The Cavern in 2016 which is such a perfect memory I try not to access it too much in case I wear it out.
  When my mother passed in 2022 Karl was very kind and sympathetic to me - regularly trying to get me down to his country pile in Hastings to cheer me up ("the pool should be working soon and the Calrec desk won't be far behind it!" - something which I promised to do, but sadly never got around to and now ... regrettably - never will.
Karl flirted with The Big Time - even having the same management as Prince at one point - but he was far too involved with The Source to spend the rest of his time chasing ACTUAL rainbows.
I will miss him terribly and will keep his number in my phone. Just knowing he's in it makes me feel better.
"Mr. Postman, look and see
if there's a message in your bag for me
could be a bomb or it could be a letter
it don't matter, it can only get better
Mr. Postman, look and see
if there's a message in your bag for me
you know it's been such a long, long time
since I could laugh at this world of mine..."
Karl Edmond De Vere Wallinger
© Polygram Music Publishing Ltd.

Goodbye Jumbo,
Ix

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4014 on: March 12, 2024, 02:02:22 PM »

That's lovely.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4015 on: March 12, 2024, 04:37:16 PM »

That's lovely.

Jules
He's a sentimental bugger  isn't he, and the world is better for it.

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #4016 on: March 17, 2024, 11:25:49 AM »

Steve Harley at 73.
Always enjoyed him when he was on festivall lineups
RIP

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4017 on: March 17, 2024, 11:57:48 AM »

Oh no, he's been brilliant in recent years. RIP Steve,.

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #4018 on: March 17, 2024, 12:15:00 PM »

so sad Bloody cancer!!!!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #4019 on: March 17, 2024, 12:30:49 PM »

Steve Harley at 73.
Always enjoyed him when he was on festivall lineups
RIP

"Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" was playing when I switched on BBC Radio London a few minutes ago. I hadn't heard the sad news, but then heard the very nice tribute from Robert Elms.
Rest in peace Steve.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: