TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 27, 2024, 12:39:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1901549 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3940 on: December 24, 2023, 10:55:01 AM »

Laura Lynch,65,  founder and member til 1995, of the Dixie Chicks, in a car accident.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3941 on: December 24, 2023, 11:23:27 AM »

Laura Lynch,65,  founder and member til 1995, of the Dixie Chicks, in a car accident.

Love The Chicks but not heard so much of the early stuff. Also i play regularly the stuff made during their hiatus after the Bush kerfuffle, Natalies solo album and The Courtyard Hounds albums are superb. RIP Laura.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3942 on: December 27, 2023, 06:14:11 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot (84), and Steve Harwell - singer with Smash Mouth(just 56).

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #3943 on: December 27, 2023, 06:18:25 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot (84), and Steve Harwell - singer with Smash Mouth(just 56).
Both rather earlier in the year.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3944 on: December 27, 2023, 06:30:13 PM »

Really? I've only just seen the headline! Whoops...

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3945 on: December 29, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »

If you want a reminder of who the Grim Reaper has taken this year here's a round-up...  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/w8pmj2u36t/notable-deaths-2023

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3946 on: January 07, 2024, 01:45:35 PM »

Del Palmer, 71, who was Kate Bush's bassist and recording engineer for most of her career, has died.  Sad

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3947 on: January 07, 2024, 02:15:13 PM »

Del Palmer, 71, who was Kate Bush's bassist and recording engineer for most of her career, has died.  Sad

#
and partner for a lengthy period until the early 90s, I think?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3948 on: January 07, 2024, 03:01:47 PM »

indeed he was. But their professional relationship was as strong as ever after they parted romantically.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3949 on: January 09, 2024, 04:26:42 PM »

Tony Clarkin of Magnum (as posted on FB by Rodney Matthews)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3950 on: January 09, 2024, 04:56:23 PM »

That’s really sad news. I loved Magnum in the 80’s; fantastic rock/pop, and they deserved to be massive.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3951 on: January 09, 2024, 05:32:08 PM »

That's sad news!

In 1980 I saw Def Leppard at the New Theatre Oxford, on their first headlining tour.

Magnum were supporting that night and were excellent!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3952 on: January 09, 2024, 06:02:41 PM »

He was a mate of mine's landlord. I used to see him occasionally when he came round to attend to various things. Never being a metalhead, I had no idea who he was until my mate told me. RIP Tony.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3953 on: January 09, 2024, 07:22:34 PM »

Such a shame about Tony Clarkin. I read, the other day, that Magnum had postponed their forthcoming tour because he was poorly but the report made it seem like an injury rather than anything life threatening.

I've just been listening to their new CD, Here Comes The Rain. Bittersweet, at the moment, of course, but it's a high quality swansong.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3954 on: January 09, 2024, 07:25:39 PM »

He was a mate of mine's landlord.

There should be a thread about landlords of mates in bands.  Dave Arbus was my mate's landlord in Canterbury back in the late 80's/early 90s.  Had a good few evenings with him back in t'day...

As for Tony, well, Magnum are the only band I can actually remember seeing in the old Wardour Street Marquee.  I know I went to others but I'm damned if I can remember what they were.  I've barely listened to a note of Magnum's in 4 decades but I remember them fondly.

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3955 on: January 10, 2024, 12:50:03 AM »

That’s really sad news. I loved Magnum in the 80’s; fantastic rock/pop, and they deserved to be massive.

Magnum were one of those bands that were doing all right until the record company decided to stick their oar in and persuaded Tony to write songs with Russ Ballard and Jim Vallance and be produced by the guy that had a massive hit with the MTVised version of Whitesnake's 1987 album. Result : they went from headlining the NEC to playing the Robin and split up, albeit reforming a few years later.
Tony didn't need any help writing. He wrote some beautiful songs, some powerful anti-war songs, and some beautiful anti-war songs for that matter. The record company, or management, should have pushed for established artists to cover his creations to build Magnum's profile in the US market. But commerce versus art doesn't always produce good results.
My connection to the band came from looking after keyboard player Mark Stanway's kids, and Mark, his wife Mo, Bob Catley and, of course, Tony himself, were down to earth, good people to know in person.

What a night to be called to Heaven.

Rest easy Tony, and thank you.  Cry

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3956 on: January 10, 2024, 07:53:58 AM »

Magnum were one of those bands that were doing all right until the record company decided to stick their oar in and persuaded Tony to write songs with Russ Ballard and Jim Vallance and be produced by the guy that had a massive hit with the MTVised version of Whitesnake's 1987 album. Result : they went from headlining the NEC to playing the Robin and split up, albeit reforming a few years later.
Tony didn't need any help writing. He wrote some beautiful songs, some powerful anti-war songs, and some beautiful anti-war songs for that matter. The record company, or management, should have pushed for established artists to cover his creations to build Magnum's profile in the US market. But commerce versus art doesn't always produce good results.
My connection to the band came from looking after keyboard player Mark Stanway's kids, and Mark, his wife Mo, Bob Catley and, of course, Tony himself, were down to earth, good people to know in person.

Wow...Did they really headline the NEC?!  When was that?

Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #3957 on: January 10, 2024, 08:12:21 AM »

Wow...Did they really headline the NEC?!  When was that?

A quick google says December 1988

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3958 on: January 10, 2024, 09:29:54 AM »

They had Zep clones Kingdom Come as support, their drummer James Kottak, died two days after Tony.

The NEC show had a great stage production.
There was a video release from Hammersmith, from the same tour, which you can watch here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDT3hO6gmWo

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3959 on: January 10, 2024, 09:50:22 AM »

They had Zep clones Kingdom Come as support, their drummer James Kottak, died two days after Tony.

The NEC show had a great stage production.
There was a video release from Hammersmith, from the same tour, which you can watch here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDT3hO6gmWo

I quite clearly missed their growth to that level.  My gaze was elsewhere in the late 80s.  They were always a Marquee Club and, yes, Robin 2, type band to me...or supporting 'major artists' at the Hammy Odeon.... I had a listen to a bit last night. Enjoyable (although there's a limit to how much I can endure Bob's vocal mannerisms)...

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: