TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 203   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1781175 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3000 on: May 05, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »

Oh that advert... 😥

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3001 on: May 05, 2021, 09:09:15 PM »

Nick Kamen, singer and (boxes shorts) model, aged just 59. Too, too young.

An icon of TV in our adolescence! How sad!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3002 on: May 12, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »

Simon Emmerson of the AfroCelts reports the passing of bassist and producer Nick Page, aka Count Dubulah, of Trans Global Underground et al. Another gone far too soon...

Flobbadob!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3003 on: May 12, 2021, 10:53:50 PM »

Pervis Staples of the Staple Singers on May 5th as Stax Records announced on their IG page. He was 85. Key part of the early Staple recordings.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3004 on: May 16, 2021, 07:16:40 AM »

Neville Murray, percussionist with Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart, sessions for many artists, eg Paul Carrack, and supporter of inclusive percussion bands for variously-abled people of all sorts. By all accounts, a good man.

Flobbadob!
Paul B

« Reply #3005 on: May 21, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »

Roger Hawkins, drummer- -what a catalogue of great -really great- records he played on

https://bestclassicbands.com/roger-hawkins-obituary-5-20-21/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3006 on: May 21, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »

Roger Hawkins, drummer- -what a catalogue of great -really great- records he played on

Only David Hood, Patterson's father, remains.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3007 on: May 24, 2021, 01:44:19 AM »

Only David Hood, Patterson's father, remains.

Not entirely true, depending on ones view on who was officially a 'Swamper' because Spooner Oldham is still around. Played on many of the Muscle Shoals and FAME studio hits

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3008 on: May 30, 2021, 02:32:05 AM »

B. J. Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling, Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

Soundtrack of my youth, R.I.P.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3009 on: May 30, 2021, 09:27:35 AM »

B. J. Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling, Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

Soundtrack of my youth, R.I.P.
Ah, Raindrops... - a true highlight of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3010 on: June 07, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »

Bill Elliott, one half of Splinter who worked extensively with George Harrison and recorded one of my all time favourite albums, The Place I Love and its terrific hit single Costafine Town.

Bill was also the lead vocalist on John Lennon's God Save Oz single and was additionally a very nice, decent and modest man whose music was beginning to be rediscovered courtesy of an ongoing series of legacy releases.

I am very sad.  Sad
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3011 on: June 07, 2021, 08:26:27 PM »

Bill Elliott, one half of Splinter who worked extensively with George Harrison and recorded one of my all time favourite albums, The Place I Love and its terrific hit single Costafine Town.

Bill was also the lead vocalist on John Lennon's God Save Oz single and was additionally a very nice, decent and modest man whose music was beginning to be rediscovered courtesy of an ongoing series of legacy releases.

I am very sad.  Sad

Utterly by coincidence I was watching a BBC In Concert yesterday when they shared the bill with Albertos Y Los Whatevers, a fine band much underappreciated.  
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3012 on: June 07, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »

I am very sad.  Sad

Utterly by coincidence I was watching a BBC In Concert yesterday when they shared the bill with Albertos Y Los Whatevers, a fine band much underappreciated.  

I remember watching that when it was first broadcast as I was a fan of both acts at the time, though it was a strange combination and until you mentioned it I had forgotten that it was the same show.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3013 on: June 07, 2021, 09:34:54 PM »

I am very sad.  Sad

I remember watching that when it was first broadcast as I was a fan of both acts at the time, though it was a strange combination and until you mentioned it I had forgotten that it was the same show.

I believe it was one of the TV simulcasts with the new to FM Radio 1.
markwood

« Reply #3014 on: June 08, 2021, 05:23:53 PM »

Very sadly, Florian Pilkington-Miksa, the original drummer of Curved Air died on 20th May.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3015 on: June 26, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »

David R Edwards of Dytblygau, or something approaching that spelling. Only 58, been ill for some time. I must confess I've not heard his/their music, but I know DavidMJS is a fan. Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, David...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3016 on: June 26, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »

David R Edwards of Dytblygau, or something approaching that spelling. Only 58, been ill for some time. I must confess I've not heard his/their music, but I know DavidMJS is a fan. Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, David...

I heard from Matt of Tangled Parrot in Carmarthen, Dave's local.  I used to see him around town a lot.  A huge talent....the shorthand throwaway description of Datblygu is as "the Welsh Fall" but they were a lot more than that.  Imho, they never released a bad track - last year's album was magnificent.  RIP Dave.  A troubled genius, and (when well) a lovely bloke to boot.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3017 on: June 27, 2021, 05:40:07 AM »

Jon Hassell, trumpet player, composer and a huge influence in the so called "World Fusion" genre. A good innings at 84. I read in his obituary on Pitchfork that 2 of his classmates when he studied under Stockhausen were Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay, later to form Can. Now there's an intriguing scenario if they'd invited him to play with Can...

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3018 on: July 06, 2021, 08:47:34 AM »

Rick Laird of Mahavishnu Orchestra.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3019 on: July 12, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »

Byron Berline, champion fiddler and session ace:

https://variety.com/2021/music/obituaries-people-news/byron-berline-dead-fiddler-bluegrass-stones-1235017247/

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 203   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: