TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1772933 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2920 on: February 05, 2021, 10:07:23 PM »

It goes on, Matt Harris of The Posies.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #2921 on: February 05, 2021, 10:20:53 PM »

It has just been announced that Cush from The Men They Couldn’t Hang died of a heart attack yesterday,
Really upset by this, a real larger than life character.
RIP

I love the Men They Couldn't Hang. Their version of Greenfields of France is easily the best. Brilliant festival band, always enjoyable to listen to.

Really sad.

Paul

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2922 on: February 06, 2021, 12:59:45 AM »

It has just been announced that Cush from The Men They Couldn’t Hang died of a heart attack yesterday,
RIP

Oh my goodness. That's terrible news. He couldn't have been desperately old.

He was a wonderfully idiosyncratic songwriter and singer who presence turned a highly decent band into an excellent one. I was lucky enough to meet once or twice in South Wales and he was an engaging and charming fellow.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2923 on: February 06, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »

That's awful....they were a great band

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #2924 on: February 07, 2021, 12:39:10 AM »

In his aftershow this evening, Scott Doonican did "The Green Fields of France" in tribute to Cush. It can be found here. It's the second song in.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2925 on: February 07, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »

Hilton Valentine, 77, of The Animals

Missed this at the time and only heard about it yesterday. I'm surprised it passed without comment.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2926 on: February 07, 2021, 01:46:21 PM »

Hilton Valentine, 77, of The Animals

Missed this at the time and only heard about it yesterday. I'm surprised it passed without comment.

For my part, that's down to ignorance.  All I know about Hilton is that he played that riff.  Oh, and also that he had one **** of a cool name.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2927 on: February 08, 2021, 01:14:15 PM »

RIP

I love the Men They Couldn't Hang. Their version of Greenfields of France is easily the best. Brilliant festival band, always enjoyable to listen to.

Really sad.

Paul

Sad news, THMTCH were a truly great festival band and IMHO their passionate, spine tingling version of TGFOF is indeed the best I've heard.

RIP Cush.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2928 on: February 09, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »

Mary Wilson of The Supremes.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2929 on: February 10, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »

Elliot Mazer, Neil Young's Harvest producer:

https://pitchfork.com/news/elliot-mazer-producer-of-neil-youngs-harvest-dead-at-79/?mbid=social_twitter&utm_brand=p4k&utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #2930 on: February 10, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »

RIP

Really sad.

Paul

Sad news, THMTCH were a truly great festival band and IMHO their passionate, spine tingling version of TGFOF is indeed the best I've heard.

RIP Cush.

A few years ago I put some images the their version of TGFOF here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9rYmAtmfQ&feature=youtu.be
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2931 on: February 10, 2021, 04:59:28 PM »

Mary Wilson of The Supremes.

Mary Wilson played the intimate One World Theater on February 21, 2020, less than a month before the city closed all the music venues.

Her show conflicted with an appearance by journalist Ronan Farrow at the Paramount Theater, so I went to see him instead. Oops. RIP Mary Wilson.
wayne stote

« Reply #2932 on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:32 PM »

Chick Corea, aged 79, jazz composer and pianist. A rare form of cancer, according to the obits.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2933 on: February 12, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »

Chick Corea, aged 79, jazz composer and pianist. A rare form of cancer, according to the obits.

Longtime Scientologist....even shared a stage (and some black plastic) with the String Band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2934 on: February 15, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »

Rupert Neve, a pioneering audio engineer who developed recording equipment that revolutionized the music industry, has died at 94. According to a statement posted to his website, his death was due to “non-COVID pneumonia and heart failure.”

Neve’s mixing consoles, microphone preamplifiers, equalizers, and compressors were integral to the sound of classic rock and beyond. His equipment was used by artists like Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Santana, and innumerable others, and many of his most beloved inventions have been converted into digital plugins for the modern age.

He was born in Newton Abbot, England in 1926, and became fascinated with electronics at an early age. He spent his childhood repairing radios while growing up in Argentina, and eventually volunteered to serve in World War II when he was 17. As an adult, he worked for various electronic companies before and he and his wife started Neve Electronics in 1961.

Three years later, he designed a transistor-based mixing console for London’s Phillips Studios, replacing the vacuum-based-designs that had been previously been the standard. That kickstarted a fruitful and highly regarded career as a studio equipment inventor. After designing the Neve 50 and Neve 80 mixing desks, he developed the beloved Neve 8028 console, which was featured in Dave Grohl’s Sound City documentary in 2013.

One of his most essential creations was the Neve 1073 preamplifier, which is still celebrated today as one of the best microphone preamps of all time. Both its physical and digital versions are still used today to adjust the gain and sound of microphones in the recording booth, like on recent albums from Tame Impala, Daft Punk, and Bon Iver.

Neve and his wife sold his namesake company in 1975, but he continued to invent new recording technology throughout the rest of his life. He moved to Texas in 1994, and in 1997, he was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Technical Grammy Award. He and his wife founded Rupert Neve Designs in 2005 and built dozens of high quality products using both digital and analogue materials.

Neve is survived by his wife, Evelyn, five children, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2935 on: February 16, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »

According to a statement posted to his website, his death was due to “non-COVID pneumonia and heart failure.”

There seems a really strange desire in obituaries (both public and personal) to ensure that the deceased is not in some way associated with Covid. Plus arguably a desire in the 'audience' to enquire as to whether they are, perhaps?  What's that all about?

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2936 on: February 16, 2021, 09:49:34 AM »

According to a statement posted to his website, his death was due to “non-COVID pneumonia and heart failure.”

There seems a really strange desire in obituaries (both public and personal) to ensure that the deceased is not in some way associated with Covid. Plus arguably a desire in the 'audience' to enquire as to whether they are, perhaps?  What's that all about?

I’d guess that with speculation rife some estates are keen to quash the chatter. I think your second point informs the first.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
wayne stote

« Reply #2937 on: February 17, 2021, 12:04:42 AM »

Louis Clark of Hooked On Classics and ELO fame, aged 73.

As someone whose earliest exposure was to classical music, the first Hooked On Classics record helped turn my head towards rock music and so was probably one of the pivotal musical experiences of my life.

Got to see him with ELO 2 several times. Probably because I saw them in smaller venues, I enjoyed them more than Jeff Lynne's behemoth.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2938 on: February 17, 2021, 03:08:54 PM »

Marc Ellington.  From RT on FB

Sad to say one of my oldest friends passed away this morning. Some of you may have known Marc Ellington as a musician, or met him as the laird of Towie Barclay Castle on one of Nancy Covey's Scottish tours. I'm so honored that he was able to perform on my birthday show at the Albert Hall last year - his final gig. All who knew Marc loved him, he was such a character, and a true one-off. I mourn with Marc's family, Karen, Nonnie, Kirstie and Iona.

* 151547325_275184037297976_1774667848016386383_n.jpg (28.21 KB, 322x555 - viewed 385 times.)

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #2939 on: February 17, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

Marc Ellington.  From RT on FB

Very sorry to hear this. He was a bridge between Fairport & The Burritos. Made some fine LPs & played the judge on "Billy The Orphan Boy's Lonely Christmas" RIP.  

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: