TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1750937 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1980 on: February 13, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »

A couple of days ago , the very splendid G.F.(Gerry) Fitz-Gerald, maker of strange and wonderful music with Lol Coxhill and others and creator of Mouseproof, an LP first released in 1970 for which I was delighted to sing.

He shared the flat in Notting Hill with Simon and me and was a gentle and unique person.. Sad

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1981 on: February 13, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »

So sorry, Jude.

And Ian_  - I remember seeing the cover of a Pearls Before Swine LP - ESPDisk label? - a detail from Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" - I have to admit I've never knowingly heard anything by PBS, but I guess I should have a listen...

Flobbadob!
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1982 on: February 13, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »

Hi Paul. They're probably an acquired taste - there can't be many singers with such an obvious speech impediment! - but there's a sort of misty melodious quality to their music and the lyrics are often fascinatingly unusual  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1983 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »

Really saddened by the death of Tom Rapp.
I have been a massive fan of Pearls Before Swine since I first heard the album “The Use Of Ashes” at the age of 14. It has remained a favourite album of mine throughout my life and I have great fondness for all the Pearls / Rapp albums.
Rapp disappeared from the music scene in the mid 1970s, but made a surprise reappearance in 1999 with the excellent “Journal Of the Plague Year” album and I always hoped we might here more from him.
RIP Tom, and thanks for playing such a big part of my life music wise.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #1984 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »

Excalibur contributor Didier Lockwood: http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/french-jazz-violinist-didier-lockwood-dies-aged-62-agent

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1985 on: February 19, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »

Tom Rapp and PBF are a thing I've been meaning to check out for years.  Is the new edition of the One NAtion Underground a good place to start??
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1986 on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »

Definitely a good place to start.
If you like it, just carry on in the order they were released.
There is also an extremely good compilation album called “Constructive Melancholy” if you want more of an overview.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1987 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

He played with Magma too.

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1988 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »

Definitely a good place to start.
If you like it, just carry on in the order they were released.
There is also an extremely good compilation album called “Constructive Melancholy” if you want more of an overview.

Thankyou, Bill. Cool
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #1989 on: February 24, 2018, 01:33:31 AM »

Eddie Amoo. He was the real thing. I use to love playing "You To Me Are Everything in my covers band a few years ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43175743

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1990 on: February 24, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »

Eddie Amoo. He was the real thing. I use to love playing "You To Me Are Everything in my covers band a few years ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43175743
I loved The Real Thing and Eddie had a great soul voice. At the time I thought they were American, I didn't know they were Scousers! RIP Eddie Amoo

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1991 on: February 24, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »

Barbara Ann Alston, original lead singer with The Crystals, gone at 74 from flu.  Sad

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1992 on: February 25, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »

I loved The Real Thing and Eddie had a great soul voice. At the time I thought they were American, I didn't know they were Scousers! RIP Eddie Amoo

David essex's backing singers don't you know..... Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1993 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »

Just announced on RTE news. Liam og O'Flynn, uileann piper with Planxty and on many collaborations such as the magnificent Brendan Voyage. A genius and a gentleman,  RIP. Ni bheidh a leitheid aris.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1994 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »

I just wrote this on FB. I don't believe in absolutes in music-best guitarists or drummers, that sort of thing. But if there is one singular moment in Irish Folk Music the last 50 years or more, it would be when O'Flynn's pipes take over on the medley with Raggle Taggle Gypsies. It is a chill inducing moment and it gets me every time.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1995 on: March 14, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »

Just announced on RTE news. Liam og O'Flynn, uileann piper with Planxty and on many collaborations such as the magnificent Brendan Voyage. A genius and a gentleman,  RIP. Ni bheidh a leitheid aris.

Aww now that's the worst news of the last few weeks, RIP Liam og 😞
I saw him many times with Planxty and solo. That's the chance of another reunion gone😢

The Dude abides
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1996 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

I just wrote this on FB. I don't believe in absolutes in music-best guitarists or drummers, that sort of thing. But if there is one singular moment in Irish Folk Music the last 50 years or more, it would be when O'Flynn's pipes take over on the medley with Raggle Taggle Gypsies. It is a chill inducing moment and it gets me every time.

Spot on Robert,it never fails to tingle the spine 45 + years since he recorded it on Prosperous with Christy and the first Planxty album.

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1997 on: March 14, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »

Claudia Fontaine, Pink Floyd backing singer, member of Soul II Soul and the Selecter.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #1998 on: March 14, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »

Aww now that's the worst news of the last few weeks, RIP Liam og 😞
I saw him many times with Planxty and solo. That's the chance of another reunion gone😢

One of those seminal bands for me. First saw them live with Liam , 73 Huh?..
I had already seen Christy Moore solo, a few times......but as a band !!!!!! and Liam's  playing just soared!
I will now stick the black album on ......
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1999 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »

Spot on Robert,it never fails to tingle the spine 45 + years since he recorded it on Prosperous with Christy and the first Planxty album.

Spot on for me as well - it still sends a warm tingle through me every time I hear it. Funny how a moment in  music can have such power. See how the crowd reacts to it here (the change is around 2.33 for those of you really in a hurry  Wink  )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyP407UnUWw

I was lucky to see them on I think the last but one night of their "reunion" concerts in Vicar Street about 10 years ago, and that single moment brought many of the audience spontaneously  to their feet. To ramble a bit, I think one of the strongest points of the new Irish trad revival in the early 70s, apart from the obvious new form of "chorded percussion" via the bouzouki et al, was the new importance placed on the changes between tunes in a set, which could at times be as powerful as the tunes themselves (sorry, I digress).

So now, in fond memory of the great man himself, here's him live with the finale of the Brendan Voyage - pure bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-3OKzUEDw

Magnificent stuff from a magnificent man. RIP.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: