TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 203   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1783707 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1880 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »

Starred in a few films as well including the excellent L'Homme du Train

DW
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #1881 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

An incredibly popular man here. I expect the nation will go into collective mourning.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1882 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:39 AM »

loved him in crime spree, very cool

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1883 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »

Pat Dinizio of The Smithereens.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1884 on: December 13, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »

Pat Dinizio of The Smithereens.

Great American rock band.  Sad
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #1885 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:00 AM »

Townes Van Zandt
Van Zandt died on New Years Day 1997 from cardiac arrythmia caused by health problems stemming from years of substance abuse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townes_Van_Zandt

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1886 on: January 02, 2018, 05:21:57 AM »

Is that a year ago? Its New Yesrs Day 2018....

Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #1887 on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »

Is that a year ago? Its New Yesrs Day 2018....

21 years ago!

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #1888 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »

My apologies for my belated announcement of Townes Van Zandt's demise.
Sometimes, I just don't read properly.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1889 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »

Blessings and respect to the memory of this dear man, I hadn’t heard of him before...but the last few posts made me chuckle a lot more than anything in “Jokes and Silliness”. Thanks Adrian W and guys.  Smiley
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1890 on: January 03, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/02/rick-hall-muscle-shoals-record-producer-dies-aged-85

I confess I didn't know of  this guy, but it was on the national news just today.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1891 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/02/rick-hall-muscle-shoals-record-producer-dies-aged-85

I confess I didn't know of  this guy, but it was on the national news just today.

Aye, my thoughts exactly - Who?  More importantly, why didn't I know of him?  His career has a lot more to it than many....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1892 on: January 03, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »

Aye, my thoughts exactly - Who?  More importantly, why didn't I know of him?  His career has a lot more to it than many....

I knew of him.  Mainly because I watched a documentary some years ago about Muscle Shoals.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1893 on: January 03, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »

I just finished reading a not particularly satisfying book about the music that came out of Muscle Shoals and Rick Hall and FAME STUDIOS  was mentioned throughout. The book covered more ground on the Swampers though-Barry Beckett, David Hood, Jimmy Johnson and Roger Hawkins who split from Hall and set up camp in 3614 Jackson Highway where of course rhe Stones, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Seger, the Staple Singers and so many more discovered that studio magic. Hall had an impressive roster of names too (mostly Capitol Records artists) but it seemed like just a studio in Alabama, whereas 3614 Jackson had a unique studio sound and guys who loved the music most, their paychecks second.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:32:37 PM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1894 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »

I just finished reading a not particularly satisfying book about the music that came out of Muscle Shoals and Rick Hall and FAME STUDIOS  was mentioned throughout. The book covered more ground on the Swampers though-Barry Beckett, David Hood, Jimmy Johnson and Roger Hawkins who split from Hall and set up camp in 3614 Jackson Highway where of course rhe Stones, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Seger, the Staple Singers and so many more discovered that studio magic. Hall had an impressive roster of names too (mostly Capitol Records artists) but it seemed like just a studio in Alabama, whereas 3614 Jackson had a unique studio sound and guys who loved the music most, their paychecks second.
David Hood and, I think, Beckett also joined Traffic. DH is Patterson Hood's father. Love to see him at Cropredy with DBT also featuring the great Mike Cooley.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1895 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »

David Hood and, I think, Beckett also joined Traffic. DH is Patterson Hood's father. Love to see him at Cropredy with DBT also featuring the great Mike Cooley.

David Hood also did a stint as The Waterboys' bassist in recent times.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1896 on: January 03, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »

Hood ,Hawkins and Beckett played on the "On The road" tour. All three plus Johnson played on The "shoot out at the fantasy factory" record

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1897 on: January 03, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »

Hood ,Hawkins and Beckett played on the "On The road" tour. All three plus Johnson played on The "shoot out at the fantasy factory" record

Why didn't I know this?  I'm just going to keep repeating it ad infinitum today  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1898 on: January 03, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »

Yeah Beckett's name really seems to be out there a lot on a multitude of albums and live concerts. And of course David Hood gets name dropped for that incredible bass line in I'll Take You There.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1899 on: January 03, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »

Yeah Beckett's name really seems to be out there a lot on a multitude of albums and live concerts. And of course David Hood gets name dropped for that incredible bass line in I'll Take You There.

Oh is that him? Great bass line.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 203   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: