TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 02, 2020, 04:38:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkwind Question  (Read 44057 times)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

I know Masters of the Universe was used in a Ford ad; what other ads have the Hawks appeared in?

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »

There were several people with connections not a million miles away from the band openly talking about Hawkwind drawing to a close soon at and around the gig.

Maybe that's why Brock looked like he was enjoying himself so much?  I wonder...

I wonder if that is why their music has started cropping up on adverts - top up for the pension plan.

I imagine the lawyers fees to work out how the profits are distributed would remove the majority of any potential income in one fell swoop, bit what do i know...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »

I know Masters of the Universe was used in a Ford ad; what other ads have the Hawks appeared in?

they are using silver machine to sell something or other at the moment

The Dude abides
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »

Yes I saw that on Channel 4, but can't remember what it was advertising. Not sure that it was very effective in that case... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »

Yes I saw that on Channel 4, but can't remember what it was advertising. Not sure that it was very effective in that case... Roll Eyes

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSIcVwTeMc

ps some lovely pics from Shepherds Bush here http://blitz.sapo.pt/hawkwind-ao-vivo-no-shepherds-bush-empire-londres=f91003
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:08:26 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

I think it is the outer space night that is coming up soon.

First single I ever bought, Silver Machine.

Paul

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSIcVwTeMc

ps some lovely pics from Shepherds Bush here http://blitz.sapo.pt/hawkwind-ao-vivo-no-shepherds-bush-empire-londres=f91003

That was a great set list..

If the numerous ex Hawkwinders/Lords from 1976 to 1995 were able to agree a royalty split with Cherry Red its not beyond the realms of possibility agreement could be reached for commercials..now if only they could work on agreeing the Brixton Academy 30th anniversary show tapes/film release

Thank Drunk I'm God
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:58 AM »

I see that "Nik Turner's Hawkwind" are coming to the (lousy) Venue here in September.  Although Nik's use of "Hawkwind" grates somewhat given he hasn't performed with the band for about 30 years, I am kind of tempted to go (so long as Al Atkins' Judas Priest or Myf Isaac's Budgie are not on that evening).  Has anyone seen Nik perform recently?  Will this be a waste of $25??

Thank Drunk I'm God
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »

I see that "Nik Turner's Hawkwind" are coming to the (lousy) Venue here in September.  Although Nik's use of "Hawkwind" grates somewhat given he hasn't performed with the band for about 30 years, I am kind of tempted to go (so long as Al Atkins' Judas Priest or Myf Isaac's Budgie are not on that evening).  Has anyone seen Nik perform recently?  Will this be a waste of $25??

I've got the same opportunity, though I rather like the venue (small brewery) and the price is even lower ($12, I believe). It's a brief jaunt, about an hour's drive, but, all the same, I'm also curious to hear if anybody's seen Nik perform as of late.
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »

I saw Space Ritual a few years ago, which is what Nik normally calls his band, and they were very good. They seemed to have more ex Hawkwind members in than Hawkwind did at the time. :-)

Paul

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »

I saw Space Ritual a few years ago, which is what Nik normally calls his band, and they were very good. They seemed to have more ex Hawkwind members in than Hawkwind did at the time. :-)

Paul

Different band, and they've since all fallen out and/or been sacked by Nik.  Nik Turner's Hawkwind is full of Nik and lots of 12 year old Hawkwind fans.  Probably.

Just say no and send a tenner to Dave Brock instead.  Now he is a nice man.

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »

Paul

Different band, and they've since all fallen out and/or been sacked by Nik.  Nik Turner's Hawkwind is full of Nik and lots of 12 year old Hawkwind fans.  Probably.

Just say no and send a tenner to Dave Brock instead.  Now he is a nice man.

Ho ho..It looks like NT's H has 2 members of the UK Subs and a couple of others.

Although NT's SR did have a number of former Hawkwind members at one time, peculiarly few of them ever played on the albums the setlist was based on!  

Thank Drunk I'm God
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »

Thought I'd post this here rather than open a new topic, not sure if anyone will be interested, but...............

Been listening to the new Hawkwind CD, Into The Woods, heard it a couple of times and it is quite good. Not, imo, as good as The Machine Stops, last years superb effort, but for a band that has been around for 47 years (well, Dave has) it's great that they are still making good music, are not just going through the motions and living off past glories. Dibs apparently didn't have much to do with the new album because he was ill at the time, which is a pity, he's brought a lot to the party in recent years.

The production isn't great though, vocals are too low a fair amount of the time, some strange clicks on one track, which might belong, or possibly not. A couple of tracks that seem quite weak, although maybe they are "growers". Anyway, when the heck have Hawkwind ever been about consistency?  Cool

They are still great live, or they were on last years tour. The new bass player is a bit good. There is plenty of life in the old boys yet.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »

Hawkwind have won the trademark dispute that has been rumbling on in the U.S. for a while. Great news.

Nik Turner has lost the case, and hopefully a fair chunk of his bank balance. Grin

Dave Brock is the true spirit of Hawkwind, so nice to see common sense prevailing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »

Not worth starting a new thread over, but if anyone wants one of the 'sold out' luxury copies (which are bloody marvellous) of the new Hawkwind book then the publisher has just put a few more up for sale https://strangeattractor.greedbag.com/buy/hawkwind-days-of-the-underground/

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

A not entirely awful Grauniad piece from today: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/19/why-hawkwind-were-the-great-radicals-of-1970s-rock

Incidentally, the new Hawkwind Light Orchestra album is well worth a listen.  It's flawed, of course, but decent....

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2020, 12:07:39 AM »

Interesting article. Sums up how I feel/felt about them. First time I saw them on TOTP as a ten year old I found them scary and unsettling. I had no idea what the Hell they were but I could tell they meant it.
Psychedelic Warlords is the perfect song to use as a soundtrack to our mid 70s urban decay and societal breakdown.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2020, 12:17:07 AM »

I like the stuff they did in the 90s, especially Space Bandits and one called 'It is the business of the future to be dangerous'.

The latest one by the Light Orchestra is OK, but it was mainly background music. I liked The Machine Stops, but not the vocals on some of the tracks. (Not sure who the singer was, because I gave reading the liner notes to see who was in the band the day they recorded the album.)

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:05 AM »

The latest one by the Light Orchestra is OK, but it was mainly background music. I liked The Machine Stops, but not the vocals on some of the tracks. (Not sure who the singer was, because I gave reading the liner notes to see who was in the band the day they recorded the album.)

It's all Dave vocals on the latest one, I think.  [Update: not sure actually, Magnus is also listed on vocals - it's only Dave, Richard and Magnus on the album, hence the band name]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: