TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 23, 2022, 12:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkwind Question  (Read 63709 times)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

This is excellent news..As an aside apparently Warrior was not subject to the same deal as the previous UA/EMI albums and the band members retained control over the UK masters..apparently Lemmy was not keen on the album being reissued, but there we are, alls well that ends well, even with the latest hostilities between Brock and Turner over a proposed HuwL-L memorial gig..

Steve Wilson is the very person to do the remix, especially given the influence of the Hawks on P Tree's earlier works..Can't wait as Esoteric/Atomhenge have done fantastic work to date with the reissues..

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »

even with the latest hostilities between Brock and Turner over a proposed HuwL-L memorial gig..

To be fair the hostilities are mainly between Huw's family and Nik (with Brock firmly supporting them).  Whatever the rights and wrongs of it (and by all accounts - I know, I know - Huw despised Nik Turner) for Nik to ignore the family's stated wishes and go ahead with the show is way out of order.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »

even with the latest hostilities between Brock and Turner over a proposed HuwL-L memorial gig..

To be fair the hostilities are mainly between Huw's family and Nik (with Brock firmly supporting them). †Whatever the rights and wrongs of it (and by all accounts - I know, I know - Huw despised Nik Turner) for Nik to ignore the family's stated wishes and go ahead with the show is way out of order.

I agree.

Back to happier matters: I hope there are some decent bonus tracks with Warrior and not just 50 remixes of Kings of Speed and Motorhead

Thank Drunk I'm God
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

Here are details re the new versions of Warrior to be released..I am a little dismayed by the bonus tracks, as I was hoping for more live stuff from the Warrior tour, not more Watchfield festival stuff.  Still, no doubt the 3 CD version will be acquired..

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/atomhenge-news.asp?newsid=394

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

Pay special attention to the 'plus special guests' line.  They'll all be there (it's contractual stuff).  Go see...great cause.

http://www.wedgewood-rooms.co.uk/WhatsOn/LiveMusic/SEASHEPHERDBENEFIT.aspx

In other news, watch carefully for developments in the Nik v Dave battle.  They'll be absolutely no sitting on the fence if what I hear is true.  Nik is out to destroy the band.  And I (and thousands of others) won't let him do it without a battle.  So there...

I'm wondering if I can pull off getting to see them in Preston on Friday?  Catch them while you can.  Seriously....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »

I thought/hoped some degree of peace and live and let live had broken out with the agreements to licence material to Cherry Red etc - clearly not and clearly another Wishbone Ash v. Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash/Oliver-Dawsons' Saxon v. Saxon etc battle looms..Lawyers will win..Dave and Nik not so much.   Good thing FC people are so decent otherwise the country would be flooded with Maart Allcock's FC (playing the classics from 1985-1995), Dave Mattack's L & L FC, Jerry Donahue's FC 9 etc etc..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »

Pay special attention to the 'plus special guests' line.  They'll all be there (it's contractual stuff).  Go see...great cause.

In other news, watch carefully for developments in the Nik v Dave battle.  They'll be absolutely no sitting on the fence if what I hear is true.  Nik is out to destroy the band.  And I (and thousands of others) won't let him do it without a battle.  So there...

I'm wondering if I can pull off getting to see them in Preston on Friday?  Catch them while you can.  Seriously....

I have my tickets for Preston, my first Hawkwind gig, after discovering them after leaving school in 1986, and will be accompanied by the man who first introduced me to the wonders of space rock. Looking forward to it immensely. Anyone been to 53 Degrees, what's it like?

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »

I have my tickets for Preston, my first Hawkwind gig, after discovering them after leaving school in 1986, and will be accompanied by the man who first introduced me to the wonders of space rock. Looking forward to it immensely. Anyone been to 53 Degrees, what's it like?

Pretty regular venue for us,beer is **** but the room is well laid out and decent sound system. Enjoy!

Happy mainly.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »

Nik Turner is out to destroy Hawkwind? Why? And how? By playing with them again? (I still shudder at the video I used to have of a 1980s lineup with Turner pretend-wiping his bottom on a US flag.)

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »

Good thing FC people are so decent otherwise the country would be flooded with Maart Allcock's FC (playing the classics from 1985-1995),

You say that like it's a bad thing...  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

I'm afraid I can't (at least in public) go into what I heard, but it's really not good and there is (at least, in my mind) a clear villain and a clear victim. †Time will tell.... ps I'm talking about Hawkwind, not Maart, obviously...  Wink

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »

Nice little piece on Hawkeaster in the Grauniad...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/02/hawkwind-easter-hawkeaster-ed-vulliamy

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »

Good article. Really looking forward to seeing them on Saturday night.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

In other news, watch carefully for developments in the Nik v Dave battle. †They'll be absolutely no sitting on the fence if what I hear is true. †

If you enjoy the music and want to see a version of the band live, I question whether it really is impossible to sit on the fence regarding band disputes. I would happily see both Andy Powell's and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, same with Nik Turner and Dave Brock. Who's behaved badly to who does not really play a major part in my choice of which gigs to book. For example, when it comes to Creedence Clearwater Revival I know who's been the troublemaker and who's behaved completely honorably but I would still prefer to see the troublemaker...

Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

I have not seen the present Hawkwind, but I have seen Space Ritual, led by Nik Turner on a couple of occasions, and they put on a damn fine show.

Paul

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Have to say I was blown away by Space Ritual the one time I have seen them (supported by Arthur Brown - good night it was).Of the five times I've seen Mr Brock's lot, three times they were great and twice pretty bad.('spose I'll have to see SR another four times to get a balanced opinion.)
In the mean time I've been listening to the Atomhenge issues of Quark and Astounding Sounds along with Epocholipse a lot and loving every minute of it.

Well I never did..
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

I see Alan Davey has put together a band of ex Space Ritual members and others to perform "Space Ritual" in its entirety too..

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »

Just a reminder that Hawkwind (aka The Elves Of Silbury Hill) are playing a Benefit concert for Sea Shepherd at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth on Friday...and it's only £12.50.  It is the full current lineup playing.

Update: Actually minor correction to that:  No Tim Blake, but possible 'special guest' (not sure who).

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »

Anyone bought and listened to the RM Warrior set?  Any comments?

Thank Drunk I'm God
rich w

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

I have the 3 CD set, waiting to see If I can get the box set cheaper when it's gets the US domestic release in July.

Remastering is excellent. Eliminates all the problems of the earlier CDs. A very clear solid remaster. Bonus material on the 3CD is good, there is a Jam from Rockfield stusion in 75 called Dawn, alternate versions of a number of songs, the Watchfield Festival Tracks from 75 (Not the greatest...but the best quality they have been delivered in).  There is a whole new Steven Wilson mix of the entire album, which is different, and interesting. It adds about about a minute and a half to Magnu, which was edited out on the original LP. Have not listened to the 5.1 Mixes (Disc 3) yet, but I hear they are good.

Awesome. Worth every penny.  I hear a few people have some little complaints about the big box set. Though the biggest complaint was the price. If you need a vinyl version the box set is the way to go (if you have the cash)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: