TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 06:11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkwind Question  (Read 61745 times)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »

Thanks - looking forward to the 3 CD set..

Thank Drunk I'm God
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »

Seventy Quid from Cherry Red for the box seems like good value to me,especially compared to the price of the Pink Floyd Immersion rip off sets.No unwanted scarves,marbals,coasters and collectors cards,plenty of unreleased stuff and decent memorabillia,fold our shield cover on the vinyl ...bargain!

Well I never did..
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »

The reissue of WOTEOT has charted much higher than last year's 'The Voice' winner, apparently...  Smiley

I have the 3 disc edition, and it sounds absolutely brilliant. There's so much going on in the tracks, and I never noticed all the violin before on songs like Magnu.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

For the attention of our friends across the pond.

HAWKWIND NORTH AMERICAN TOUR OCTOBER 2013
World renowned space rock pioneers will soon embark on their first North American tour in nearly 20 years. At the helm of the group is leader and founding member Dave Brock, alongside long serving members Dead Fred, Tim Blake, Richard Chadwick, Mr Dibs and Niall Hone. This is Hawkwind’s longest standing, most stable line up in the band’s history. The tour commemorates the anniversary and re-release of the band's landmark 1975 album, "Warrior on the Edge of Time". Hawkwind will perform the album in it's entirety along with classic tracks selected from their 40+ year history. The tour will include a full light show, cosmic space dancers and psychedelic projections and is sure to be a far out experience. Joining the group as support on all dates is the Boston based psychedelic/progressive rock group PERHAPS.
Dates will be announced June 17th

Tickets go on sale June 22nd.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »

Yikes..hope there are some west coast dates..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »

Here are the American dates:

October 07 - Toronto, ON @ Mod Club
October 08 - Montreal, QC Corona KinoPlex
October 10 - Boston, MA @ Wilbur Theater
October 11 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
October 12 - Washington DC @ Rock n Roll Hotel
October 13 - New York City, NY @ Gramercy Theater
October 15 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
October 16 - Chicago, IL @ Empty Bottle
October 18 - San Fransisco, CA @ Regency Theater
October 19 - Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
October 20 - Phoenix, AZ @ Mesa Arts Center
October 22 - Denver, CO @ Gothic Theater
October 24 - Austin, TX @ Mohawk
October 25 - Dallas, TX @ Granada Theater
October 26 - Houston, TX Fitzgerald's Houston

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »

Hmm - nothing that close and much as I love the band, cannot justify spending the time and money to fly down to San Fran or L.A...

Thank Drunk I'm God
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

Sigh, and so it goes on......

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/hawkwinds-fury-as-nik-turner-registers-us-name/

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »

Good publicity for Nik ahead of his new album and the chance to ride the coat tails of publicity from the upcoming Brock and crew tour of North America.

The situation seems much the same as the Saxon v. Oliver and Dawson case.  After much expnediture of money on legal fees, the Biff Byford version of Saxon succeeded in over turning Oliver and Dawson registering "Saxon" as a trademark owned by them.  Oilver/Dawson still perform as "Oliver/Dawson Saxon" and the "official" version carries on as Saxon.

While I respect Nik's contributions to the classic era of the Hawks and some of the stuff he did after that, I have no respect for his current efforts to restart the feud with Dave Brock or to look to make money off the work Brock et al have put in to keeping the band afloat over the 30 odd years since Nik last performed with them.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »

It's hard to know what Nik's game is at the moment. A mate of mine who has worked for him for years told me about this a while ago, but even as an 'insider' he couldn't understand Nik's motivation, which just seems deliberately antagonistic. I got the feeling that his antics are beginning to lose him support, even from within his own camp.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »

It's hard to know what Nik's game is at the moment. A mate of mine who has worked for him for years told me about this a while ago, but even as an 'insider' he couldn't understand Nik's motivation, which just seems deliberately antagonistic.

I think you answer your own question there  Smiley  The man is after a financial settlement and/or the rights to the bandname in a Wishbone Ash type scenario.  I believe he's even using some of the same lawyers as Martin Turner (who I think actually had a far stronger case).  Effectively he's just trying to make life difficult for Dave Brock who he fell out with over his eviction in the early 80's.  And he's succeeding (Dave very nearly threw the towel in a while back I'm told from someone who's been working with him and his wife...at 72 he could certainly do without the hassle.  Nik's a bitter and stupid old man....  In future, just say 'no', kids.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »

I note that by an amazing coincidence Nik is touring North America in October with a Space Ritual like poster advertising the tour as Nik Turner and in big letters "Ex Hawkwind"; in an even bigger coincidence, many of the dates are in the same cities that the real Hawkwind is playing.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:28 PM »

An interesting insight into the world of Nik's lawyer..

http://www.popehat.com/2010/07/06/its-not-ok-to-censor-them-but-its-ok-to-hate-them/

Thank Drunk I'm God
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »

The Hawkwind US tour has been postponed due to Dave Brock suffering stress related illness which made it inadvisable for him to make the trek..hope to resschedule for 2014..Guess that will leave the field clear for the no doubt entirely coincidental tour of the US/Canada of Nik Turner's Hawkwind taking place at this very moment..

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »

I don't often wish ill on other human beings, but this may be one of those occasions.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »

From what I've read elsewhere, Nik Turner's Fakewind (Touring with Geoff Tate's Fakeryche?) are playing bars, whereas Hawkwind were playing decent sized venues and sold out a few of them...

I've always though Turner was rubbish, anyway, ever since I had the misfortune to buy a video of the band when he was with them, playing very badly and prancing around on the stage.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

The comparison with the Tate Queensryche, uncoincidentally supported by the same record label as Nik T, is a good one.  The non Tate QR have complained that Tate has cheapened the name ahead of the court battle over payouts so that the value of the band name is reduced and less is due to the foudning members.  As part of the Tate ploy he has hired no name session men to tour with and to undercut the fee charged by the other guys for gigs.  

I like Nik's work with the Hawks up to 1975/6, but after that no: big mistake to get him back in 1982.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Neil
About to blow
Local Moderator

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:01 AM »

Well as a ticket holder for the San Francisco gig which is in a  very nice theater I was happy to see that they have rescheduled for March, as for Turner I could have got a ticket and he is playing a very nice venue in Portland but I bought Waterboys tickets instead for the same night. We had a massive roadtrip fun time planned for next week but March will be wonderful.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2013, 12:21:53 AM »

Seems Nik is wary of the backlash he has created:

http://blurtonline.com/news/a-message-from-nik-turner-hawkwind-co-founder-to-tour-us/

Thank Drunk I'm God
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »

This is a copy of a statement  he made on facebook last week. It's hard for me, I like Nik and I think Space Ritual are (was?) a good act. He comes across as a nice guy when he does SRS and OTC but I also admire Dave but the latest incarnation of Hawkwind leave me cold.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: