TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 02, 2020, 03:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkwind Question  (Read 44056 times)
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

Apart from having Silver Machine on a compilation (which is actually my most played tune according to my ipod!) strangely I have managed to avoid ever getting anything by Hawkwind for some reason. I have just rectified that by ordereing the three-disc anthology for £8.99

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »

Even their first (eponymous) album had some notable tracks, the best of which was "Hurry On Sundown".

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Apart from having Silver Machine on a compilation (which is actually my most played tune according to my ipod!) strangely I have managed to avoid ever getting anything by Hawkwind for some reason. I have just rectified that by ordereing the three-disc anthology for £8.99

Which three-disc anthology is that? Is it Epoch which covers the first 30 years or so of their career, or Spirit Of The Age which runs from 1976 to 1984 (I think 1976 was when the moved to Chrysalis??) or The Dream Goes On which runs from Chronicles Of The Black Sword to Distant Horizons? All of them have good stuff, but Epoch probably has more of the "classic" era songs. Or are there other anthologies?

To get back to Space Ritual (the album) I always think it is best heard in its entirety, I don't like it if songs from it pop up on shuffle, doesn't seem right to me.

And don't forget, folkies, use your wheels, it is what they are for.  Roll Eyes
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

Even their first (eponymous) album had some notable tracks, the best of which was "Hurry On Sundown".

Yes, and the first four (studio) albums are available together, in slip cases, for less than a tenner. That's the eponymous debut, In Search Of Space, Doremi......., and Hall Of The Mountain Grill.
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »

Which three-disc anthology is that? Is it Epoch which covers the first 30 years or so of their career, or Spirit Of The Age which runs from 1976 to 1984 (I think 1976 was when the moved to Chrysalis??) or The Dream Goes On which runs from Chronicles Of The Black Sword to Distant Horizons? All of them have good stuff, but Epoch probably has more of the "classic" era songs. Or are there other anthologies?

To get back to Space Ritual (the album) I always think it is best heard in its entirety, I don't like it if songs from it pop up on shuffle, doesn't seem right to me.

Yes Epoch. Don't know how I've managed to go so long without ever owning a Hawkwind album really...

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »

Yes Epoch. Don't know how I've managed to go so long without ever owning a Hawkwind album really...

Well, I hope you enjoy it.
There are a lot of fantastic songs on there, but also a lot which are not on there, so if you find you really like your new purchase, it could still be worth investigating further.

Good listening.
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »

Well, I hope you enjoy it.
There are a lot of fantastic songs on there, but also a lot which are not on there, so if you find you really like your new purchase, it could still be worth investigating further.

Good listening.

Well that has happend with so many bands. Starts with one bargain compilation for a few quid and within months I'm buying up their entire back catalogue...

Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »

Well that has happend with so many bands. Starts with one bargain compilation for a few quid and within months I'm buying up their entire back catalogue...

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

That could prove rather expensive. I have about 50 Hawkwind albums on vinyl and numerous others on CD, along with most of the rare singles. At one time I had everything, but gave up on that long ago with so many compilation and semi-bootleg live releases.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »

Blimey, thanks everyone! Let me start with "Space Ritual" and I'll see how I get on...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »

Stacia was very catholic in her tastes in men. But she had a helluva good time.

The music was very good too, back in the era of the Yellow House in Portobellow.

Or so I would remember, if I hadn't been there.

I recollect meeting Stacia in Exeter before she joined the band. I was with a Fairport Fanatic called Richard Thompson (you couldnt make it up could you). She was brought into our common room by an American guy and decided she wanted to play table football with us. She played on my side and opposite RT. Every time she leaned forward her undeniable attributes vacated her dress , RT was distracted and I scored. I'm not convinced I got the best out of the deal! Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

You definitely got the best of it if you scored with Stacia.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »

I seem to recall that another member of TAW has some entertaining Stacia tales too. She sounds quite a woman.

Nowadays an artist - and a good one too from the look of her web site ( http://www.staciablake.com/index.html ), albeit not updated for a few years.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »

No Stacia stories but am enjoying my new 3CD Hawkwind anthology.

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »

Good good good. Would be interesting to know, when you have played it through a time or three, which era you think you like best.
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »

Good good good. Would be interesting to know, when you have played it through a time or three, which era you think you like best.

Well still listening my way through it but I'm particularly enjoying the early 70s Lemmy era and the mid 70s Calvert era.

Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »

Right I've given it a few sins now and these are my favourite tracks so far

- Silver Machine 72
- Orgone Accumulator 73
- Lost Johnny 74
- Motorhead 75
- Assault & Battery 75
- Quark, Strangeness & Charm 77
- Psi Power 78
- Motoway City 80
- Levitation 80
- Right to Decide 92

These are the ones I downloaded on my mp3

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

Obviously you seem to like the 70s stuff.  Cool  If you like them then you can't really go wrong with any albums from that era, except that imo Astounding Sounds......... (1977) is a bit of a disappointment, two great tracks aside.
The obvious next step though, I would think, would be Space Ritual, the live album, if you wanted to delve further.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »

Obviously you seem to like the 70s stuff.  Cool  If you like them then you can't really go wrong with any albums from that era, except that imo Astounding Sounds......... (1977) is a bit of a disappointment, two great tracks aside.
The obvious next step though, I would think, would be Space Ritual, the live album, if you wanted to delve further.

Based on the favourites picked out, I'd also try Hawklords 25 Years On (which is a bit more new wave), Quark Strangeness and Charm, PXR5 and Levitation.  Shame no proper CD reissue of Warriors..is available.

From the later years Electric Teepee was imho much under rated...

Thank Drunk I'm God
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »

Based on the favourites picked out, I'd also try Hawklords 25 Years On (which is a bit more new wave), Quark Strangeness and Charm, PXR5 and Levitation.  Shame no proper CD reissue of Warriors..is available.

From the later years Electric Teepee was imho much under rated...

I bouight the CD a while back, with Motorhead as a bonus track (it wasn't on the original vinyl).

Agree about Electric Tepee, I like it, and all the others you mention would be likely to appreciated by a nascent fan.

Incidentally, Astounding Sounds..... was from 1976, as I knew, I blame the computer.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: