TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 01, 2020, 11:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkwind Question  (Read 43935 times)
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

When I was a lad, back in the 80s, one of the kids at my school had a double live album by Hawkwind which sounded amazing.  Hey, we loved Marillion back then.  I've no idea what it was and there seems to be a lot of options.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might have been?  Or, alternatively, can suggest some good Hawkwind??
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

Probably the Space Ritual, Keith - live at Liverpool Stadium (I was there!) & Brixton? - recorded early 70s.

There's a couple of versions available, including the inevitable deluxe reissue.

I bought a (vinyl) copy, cos I'd been there, but listened to it no more than a couple of times.  Heard some of it again quite recently, and remembered why I hardly played it.  Tedious.  But I was young & impressionable then - and I did see a poster at the Stadium advertising a Can gig - so some good came out of that evening after all!  Smiley

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Mister Keith
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »

Aha!  Just looked it up on Amazon - 51 reviews of which 44 are 5 stars! And it's only £5.49.  Bargain - gotta be worth a punt at that price....but will it sound as good as I remember 25 years later...?

Thanks, Paul.
Mister Keith
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »

I bought a (vinyl) copy...but listened to it no more than a couple of times.

It was around that time that I bought a copy of "Live at Last" by Black Sabbath. God, it was bad. Two sides of vinyl and they had the nerve to include the drum solo??     Angry
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

There was also a double album - This Is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic - from the early 80's which as I recall contained some tracks from Stonhenge Festival plus some left over cuts from the Levitation tour.  One of the discs was a 12" single (i.e 45 rpm)..must look in vinyl cupboard to confirm.  There was another double album, Live Chronicles, from 1985 or so from the Chronicles of the Black Sword tour.  

From just after the Space Ritual era there is a double album Party 1999 from Chicago, recorded in 1974 with pretty much the Space Ritual line up, minus Bob Calvert.  That is well worth getting.

No doubt there are other double Hawkind live albums - Text of the Festival for example, which is of bootleg quality at most.  Atomhenge from the 1976 Astounding Sounds tour..I could go on, but won't.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »

I dragged a reluctant friend along to the New Theatre Oxford in the 1980's to see Hawkwind (Ginger Baker was drumming if I recall). My only experience up to that point was a taped copy of "Space Ritual", and some stuff on a live compilation LP "The Greasy Truckers Party?" which I'd actually quite enjoyed.

Can't say the Oxford gig was very memorable though, but I did manage to sit it out to the end. My mate however, managed to slip out undetected to The Grapes opposite the theatre... Grin
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »

Probably the Space Ritual, Keith - live at Liverpool Stadium (I was there!)

Me too!

I bought a (vinyl) copy, cos I'd been there, but listened to it no more than a couple of times.  Heard some of it again quite recently, and remembered why I hardly played it.  Tedious.  But I was young & impressionable then - and I did see a poster at the Stadium advertising a Can gig - so some good came out of that evening after all!  Smiley

I still play it occasionally and think it's great (man) - brings back so many memories, particularly the 'exotic' aromas in the atmosphere
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »

Another vote for Space Ritual - as long as you can suspend yourself from reality, it's a blast!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Global Moderator

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »

We saw Hawkwind live at Beautiful Days a couple of years ago. Ok I know the arguments about 'which line up is really Hawkwind' etc, but whatever, they were great and much as I remebered them live in the 1970's, especially as I couldn't see then too well due to being too vain to wear my glasses.

I could see that the fragrant Stacia has been replaced by women in wrapped in sheets, shiny women on stilts and finally shiny women on stilts wrapped in sheets. The light show was awesome though. Grin Grin Grin

Sorry for the diversion. As you were. Carry on.

DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »

Might be seeing the current Hawkwind at Rhythm Festival in August. Not too sure though cos it looks like they clash with Peatbog Faeries on the Folk stage, and worse, with the amazing Wilko Johnson on the Blues stage. Still since Stacia with her amazing attributes isn't likely to be there, I guess I'll probaly go with Wilko.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Stacia was very catholic in her tastes in men. But she had a helluva good time.

The music was very good too, back in the era of the Yellow House in Portobellow.

Or so I would remember, if I hadn't been there.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

Aha!  Just looked it up on Amazon - 51 reviews of which 44 are 5 stars! And it's only £5.49.  Bargain - gotta be worth a punt at that price....but will it sound as good as I remember 25 years later...?

Not 'arf.

If you wish to delve deeper, most of the 70s albums are worth listening to. Quark, Strangeness and Charm is my favourite, Bob Calvert of Space Ritual fame was on that one, as he was on PXR5, which to me always sounds a bit punky and spacey at the same time.
Doremi............ was great, no Calvert but Lemmy and Simon King appeared for the first time, several of the songs turned up on Space Ritual.
Hall Of The Mountain Grill is a cracker, Warrior........ is good but with a bit of filler, Astounding Sounds.......... was a disappointment to me but spawned a couple of great tracks.
In Search Of Space, which was mentioned on the Listening To.... thread a week or two back, is an early one but very good, but imo they stepped up a gear or two when Simon King joined, his drumming really drove them on.

If you investigate and decide you like them, I can start talking 80s Hawkwind at a later date.  Grin

Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

I have thoroughly enjoyed Space Ritual with Nik Turner at Weyfest the past couple of years. Some Hawkwind stuff, and some stuff of their own.

They have a dancer who looks nothing like Stacia  Wink Grin She is very good though.

Paul

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »

I have thoroughly enjoyed Space Ritual with Nik Turner at Weyfest the past couple of years. Some Hawkwind stuff, and some stuff of their own.

They have a dancer who looks nothing like Stacia  Wink Grin She is very good though.

Paul

Miss Angel is her name I think, her entire bodyweight is slightly less than an individual Stacia breast.  Roll Eyes
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »

Paul

Miss Angel is her name I think, her entire bodyweight is slightly less than an individual Stacia breast.  Roll Eyes

All true.  Grin

She also danced for the crazy world of Arthur Brown.

Paul

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Global Moderator

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »

Ah, I've seen her as well then.  Grin Grin Grin

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

They've got a new album out next month. Their last one, Blood of the Earth, was pretty good.

I saw them on the Space Bandits tour which was excellent. The next time I saw them was on the Electric Teepee tour, which wasn't very good.

Albums I like are:

Quark, Strangeness and Charm
Levitation
Chronicle of the Black Sword
It Is The Business of the Future to be Dangerous
Warrior on the Edge of time.
25 Years On (Hawklords)
Choose Your Masques

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »

I've seen Space Ritual once (was unwell for my last opportunity) and Hawkwind several times in the past few years.

Space Ritual won hands down.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »

I've seen Space Ritual once (was unwell for my last opportunity) and Hawkwind several times in the past few years.

Space Ritual won hands down.

I suppose SR play a higher proportion of the classic 70s songs, whereas Brock/Hawkwind want to reflect the entire 40+ year output and the new album if there is one. And Nik is/was more of a performer, a front man, than DB.

Dave Brock though, for all that he may at times be a little difficult, and however many old friends he has alienated, is one of the greats.

P.S. I am sure SR would go down a storm at Cropredy, there are plenty in the crowd who are old fans of Hawkwind/NIk, and the songs are good enough to win the rest over, surely. Oh well, not to be.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:59:44 AM by Albie » Logged
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »

Yes!

Space Ritual for Cropredy!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: