TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Young saddles up the Horse again  (Read 111976 times)
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »

[/quote] This does seem like a case of giving with one hand and taking away with the other. Neil is recording with Crazy Horse. Hooray! An album of cover versions of old folk songs. Oh dear.
[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Though, I'm hopeful...

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »

Uncut have a preview of Americana here:-

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/neil-young-crazy-horses-americana-first-listen

It all sounds akin to what I'd think and expect...except for calling Are You Passionate? Neil's worst album (a bit of a streatch that one, considering some of his more notable lame ducks!).

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

Nobody wants an album of cover versions of anything from Neil Young. What we want from a reunion with Crazy Horse is a new set of blistering originals but with this coming along in the wake of La Noise and the lightweight Fork In The Road I fear Neil is in a creatively fallow period.

He can't win, can he? If this had been leaked as a torrent the freetards would have been all over it like flies on sherbert. Make it available as an official release and suddenly it's "But this isn't what we wanted...".  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »

I am hoping for Greendale II myself.  Grin   You can please some of the people some of the time etc etc.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

I was watching a (surprisingly not as bad as the blurb made it out) DVD called The Wrecking Ball last night which pretty much starts "...after the lukewarm reception given to Zuma...". Y'never can tell, eh?  Grin
And as a fan of both "The Ditch Trilogy" and Postman Pat I'm also always looking out for the follow ups to 'Greendale' in order to complete 'The Kids' TV Trilogy'. Possibly to be titled 'Pontypandy', 'Trumpton' or 'Sunflower Valley'.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

Nobody wants an album of cover versions of anything from Neil Young. What we want from a reunion with Crazy Horse is a new set of blistering originals but with this coming along in the wake of La Noise and the lightweight Fork In The Road I fear Neil is in a creatively fallow period.

He can't win, can he? If this had been leaked as a torrent the freetards would have been all over it like flies on sherbert. Make it available as an official release and suddenly it's "But this isn't what we wanted...".  Roll Eyes

You are aiming that at the wrong person as I am one of the few who is prepared to defend Landing On Water and I actually like Fork In The Road too. I just think this is a wilfully perverse move. No change there then!  Wink
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »

Actually Al, I thought I'd probably badly phrased it just after the self-edit timeout. It was intended as a conversation prompter, not pointed directly at anyone, no more, no less. I'm more of a Trans man, myself... Cool
Apologies for the perceived slight.
S.

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »

As a bit of a NY contrarian (is there any other kind of NY fan?), I really like Greendale, most of Are You Passionate, Life, Living with War, Prairie Wind etc; the one album that is lauded and applauded which does nothing for me is Ragged Glory..There are a couple of others I'm indifferent to: re-ac-tor, Trans, Old Ways for example..

Thank Drunk I'm God
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

As a bit of a NY contrarian (is there any other kind of NY fan?), I really like Greendale, most of Are You Passionate, Life, Living with War, Prairie Wind etc; the one album that is lauded and applauded which does nothing for me is Ragged Glory..There are a couple of others I'm indifferent to: re-ac-tor, Trans, Old Ways for example..

i think for me the worst NY album is mirror ball.  

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »

As a bit of a NY contrarian (is there any other kind of NY fan?)

Probably not and just to prove the point, I think it is hard not to be indifferent to re-ac-tor. Trans is patchy but I love Old Ways & Ragged Glory.

Surely we must have consensus on the pointlessness of Ev'rybody's Rockin though. Quite dreadful and a complete rip off as it was barely long enough to be an EP.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

i think for me the worst NY album is mirror ball.  

The production didn't help!  The songs are actually good, and his lyric writing is stellar on that record, but sonically it's mush.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

Probably not and just to prove the point, I think it is hard not to be indifferent to re-ac-tor. Trans is patchy but I love Old Ways & Ragged Glory.

Surely we must have consensus on the pointlessness of Ev'rybody's Rockin though. Quite dreadful and a complete rip off as it was barely long enough to be an EP.

I adore Ragged Glory.  I find Old Ways hard to love.  I find re*ac*tor great in parts.  I'm ambivalent about Trans.  And Ev'rybody's Rockin' is just plain shockin'.

Other Neil albums I'd cross the road to avoid:  Arc and This Note's For You.  The latter may be a bit controversial.  I like the title track, but the rest bores me.  I never was much of a blues man.

Oh and Greendale.  Nice idea, halfway decent live shows, but a horribly executed record.

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »

Just watching a DVD called The Wrecking Ball - John Einarson, Robert Christgau, Barney Hoskins, Clinton Heylin and Johnny Rogan all having a very similar series of thoughts out loud. I keep being distracted by Johnny Rogan's astonishing teeth though. I'd never seen him before.  Shocked
Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half on the sofa in sole charge of the remote.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

Just watching a DVD called The Wrecking Ball - John Einarson, Robert Christgau, Barney Hoskins, Clinton Heylin and Johnny Rogan all having a very similar series of thoughts out loud. I keep being distracted by Johnny Rogan's astonishing teeth though. I'd never seen him before.  Shocked  

Did Clinton manage to avoid being rude about anyone?   Roll Eyes

And tell me more about Johnny Rogan's teeth!

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »

And tell me more about Johnny Rogan's teeth!
Jules

He looks like Jaws from The Spy Who Loved Me  Shocked

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

He looks like Jaws from The Spy Who Loved Me  Shocked

Woah!  Big gold fangs?

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

Uh huh. Huge shades and a t-shirt with a wolf on it. I really liked his NY biography, but I wasn't expecting that.

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:43 AM »

As a bit of a NY contrarian (is there any other kind of NY fan?)

I love Everybody's Rockin, it reminds me of a lovely summer I had in the eighties. I always get a wistful smile when ai hear Kinda Fonda Wanda.

Are You Passionate is however awful, although Goin' Home is a classic.

Of course I like Greendale and parts of Landing on Water and think Reactor has many redeeming qualities not least being Opera Star and Surfer Joe and Moe The Sleaze, Lucky Thirteen is my favorite retrospective album.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »

Uh huh. Huge shades and a t-shirt with a wolf on it. I really liked his NY biography, but I wasn't expecting that.

Especially from a former theology student!

I actually found his Neil book a bit dull, but I love his Byrds tome.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

Are You Passionate is however awful, although Goin' Home is a classic.

Goin' Home was an amazing song live.  The studio version on that record is lame-ass!  Having said that, I find much to enjoy on Are You Passionate? - songs like Two Old Friends, You're My Girl and When I Hold You In My Arms.  I think they're groovy.

Jules

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: