TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:54:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bargain Bin  (Read 296604 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1540 on: November 15, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »

Thirded, I guess.

I have all the Yes stuff prior to Drama, but it doesn't sound right without Jon. I did once have an online 'discussion' with someone who was getting a bit heated insisting that if Chris Squire was in it, it was Yes, and he defined the band's sound not Jon. I wonder what he thinks now. Trevor Horn struggled to sound like Jon, and left after one album because of it.
It's a bit weird that Jon parted ways with Yes most recently, when he suffered acute respiratory failure and they decided to tour without him and replaced him with a Yes tribute band vocalist called Benoit David...obviously a Jon-sound-a-like. But then they replaced him when he contracted a respiratory illness (a tribute too far ?), with a lookylikeysoundalikey called.....Jon Davison.
90125 is great, but isn't the usual Yes style and was only called Yes because of the familiar record company insistence.
ELP ? Bombastic is their middle name.
Well it's not...it's Lake obviously, but Fanfare was the first single I ever bought with my own 50p coin so I have a soft spot for them.
Funnily enough, it's nostalgia that has made me listen to all that punk stuff....I tend not to buy contemporary music, I'm always trying to catch up on what has gone before, and I always heard what was current on the radio or TV so I didn't HAVE to buy it - back then, the first act on TOTP tended to be a rock or punk act, and I loved it.
As for NMTB - one thing with it, is it's too well produced for me...loads of big guitar chords, well recorded and precise...where The Damned....always my faves.....sounded like they were about to explode any minute, much rawer and, well... punk.

This is exactly why I'd much rather listen to Yes featuring AWR (or whatever they call themselves this week) rather than Yes.  JA is Yes.  I'd prefer him with Squire, but I'd still rather listen to him than to somebody pretending to be him.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1541 on: November 16, 2018, 05:27:30 AM »

I don't get the attraction of ELP at all.  It's all bombast to these ears.

Completely. But sometimes bombast is fun.

Absolutely.  Who doesn't like their version of Pictures at an Exhibition?!

That would be me, I'm afraid.

And me. When I was little, my older cousin used to play that L.P. when we went round theirs, and I always wished he wouldn't.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1542 on: November 16, 2018, 05:33:48 AM »

On the other hand, I've been listening to Never Mind The Byoolix for the first time since it came out - a two for £3 deal thing with the Essential Bob Dylan (bought to get Positively 4th Street on CD). The Dylan is fab, but the Pistols is still..meh !

That's more or less how I feel about it. Doesn't stand up as well as other punk bands stuff from the late 70s, Buzzcocks, SLF, Siouxsie, Ruts, The Clash, to name a few. I probably play it a couple of times a year. Did You No Wrong was their best song, I thought, but they included it out of the album, for whatever reason.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1543 on: November 16, 2018, 09:51:32 AM »

Did You No Wrong was their best song, I thought, but they included it out of the album, for whatever reason.

It had already been a b-side.  I think they drew the line there.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1544 on: November 16, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »

...where The Damned....always my faves.....sounded like they were about to explode any minute, much rawer and, well... punk.

My friend Bryn Merrick RIP played bass in The Damned  Cool He was also in my favourite punk band Victimize  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mdN7QwApf8

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1545 on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »

...where The Damned....always my faves.....sounded like they were about to explode any minute, much rawer and, well... punk.

My friend Bryn Merrick RIP played bass in The Damned  Cool He was also in my favourite punk band Victimize  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mdN7QwApf8

I saw Bryn a couple of times with The Damned and also in The Phantom Chords with Vanian and Roman Jugg. I think they only recorded the one album.

Talking of the Pistols I see Jones and Cook are currently in a band with Billy Idol called Generation Sex.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1546 on: November 16, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »

Talking of the Pistols I see Jones and Cook are currently in a band with Billy Idol called Generation Sex.

...featuring two X Pistols then.

Jules

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1547 on: November 16, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »

Did You No Wrong was their best song, I thought, but they included it out of the album, for whatever reason.

It had already been a b-side.  I think they drew the line there.

Jules

And a much better song than the A side, although that could be a minority view (but I know some who agree with me).
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #1548 on: November 16, 2018, 03:10:00 PM »

Hope it doesn't mean he's leaving  Jonesy’s Jukebox.

http://www.955klos.com/jonesys-jukebox/

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1549 on: November 16, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »

And a much better song than the A side, although that could be a minority view (but I know some who agree with me).

I liked both sides.

Jules

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1550 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »

Hope it doesn't mean he's leaving  Jonesy’s Jukebox.

http://www.955klos.com/jonesys-jukebox/

He's probably just taking a break from it. I enjoy watching his interviews from the show on YouTube though the one he did with Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin was a bit awkward. Steve obviously hit it off with Rick - similar sense of humour - but Jon looked like he just didn't want to be there and Trevor didn't seem to have much to say.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1551 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »

A brand new, sealed copy of Wendy Carlos' "Sonic Seasonings" for £2 from a charity shop.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1552 on: December 05, 2018, 06:28:38 AM »

£3 for a copy of the Albion Band's Lark Rise CD... the stage show, not the later TV series. I have an original issue vinyl lp, but never got round to buying the CD.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #1553 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »

£3 for a copy of the Albion Band's Lark Rise CD... the stage show, not the later TV series. I have an original issue vinyl lp, but never got round to buying the CD.

That's a really good record.  One of the earliest Albion Band albums I had (on cassette) and played it to death.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: