TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 21, 2018, 09:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bargain Bin  (Read 277762 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1420 on: April 21, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »

A mate of mine (who's not really a huge folk-rock fan to be honest) has just bagged the complete Swarb! Free Reed box set from his local library sale for, er, 25p.  Ridiculous!

Holy cow!  Can't help but wish a fan had found it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1421 on: April 21, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »

There is some great stuff in the library sales if you can be bothered to sort through it. Just bought, Chris Wood's Albion, Three Daft Monkeys' of stones and bones, John Rutter, the choral collection, Kate Rusby 10, and Richard Digance This is Great Britain. All for 50p each. That is less than it costs to hire the double CDs from the library.

Paul

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1422 on: April 22, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

Having worked in a local authority library (and seeing what things are got rid of for) it is absolutely criminal how little they value their council tax payer's assets.  Nice when you get a bargain of course, but outrageous nonetheless...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1423 on: April 22, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »

On the way home from the Wildflower Duathlon held this morning at the Botanical Gardens of Wales - which I didn't realise, until I spotted a roadsign - are not far from the Land of Beer (Llandybie, home of TAW's very own Andy & Wendy Leslie), we stopped at a craft centre near Lydney, and I picked up Steven Sproat's "Fruit for the Soul" CD for just £1 - brand new and still sealed!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1424 on: April 22, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »

Having worked in a local authority library (and seeing what things are got rid of for) it is absolutely criminal how little they value their council tax payer's assets.  Nice when you get a bargain of course, but outrageous nonetheless...

A good while ago I picked up Large (square shaped) box sets by Sandy, CSNY , and The Allman brothers for £1 - £2 each.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1425 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »

Just a quick heads up to any fans of early Roxy -  the 4-CD box set of the 1st album is available for £55 on amazon.co.uk right now. No idea how long this price will be there... big thanks to SDE for tipping me off this morning!  Smiley

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1426 on: May 01, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »

Just a quick heads up to any fans of early Roxy -  the 4-CD box set of the 1st album is available for £55 on amazon.co.uk right now. No idea how long this price will be there... big thanks to SDE for tipping me off this morning!  Smiley

The super deluxe set is £129 there now

The Dude abides
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1427 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »

Super deluxe version still at £54.99 on uk amazon as of 1215 hrs today. UK time... That's what I paid earlier.

dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1428 on: May 02, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »

Aimee Mann – ‘The Forgotten Arm’ and The Waterboys – ‘This is the Sea’ @ £1 each, from a charity stall at my local hospital.  A nice little consolation after having some stitches removed.

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1429 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »

Albion Band 1990 (used) for under a fiver on Amazon. Previously this was upwards of £20.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1430 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »

Nathaniel Rateliffe & the Night Sweats "Live in Red Rocks" CD, brand new (sealed) for £4 from Oxfam.  Cool

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1431 on: May 10, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »

Music Magpie are closing all their That's Entertainment stores by the end of May,

Not surprised, they're rubbish!

Agreed however there's 75% off all stock now, managed to wade through the tat to find titles by Peter Hammill, Micheal Chapman, Rory Gallagher, Miles Davis, Eliza Carthy, Catfish and the Bottlemen and loads of old blues - 32 CD's for £22.56!

Latest haul, 16 CD's for £8.99, including Steve Tilston Trio, Astral Weeks, John Wesley Harding (the singer), Hawkwind In Search Of Space, Gretchen Wilson, Bonnie Raitt's Nick Of Time and loads of 10000 Maniacs ... but there's a lot of rubbish to wade through.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1432 on: May 17, 2018, 08:32:54 AM »

Am I ready for "highbrow" culture?!

Browsing the Cancer Research shop in Gloucester yesterday, I picked up the 1997 re-releases of the Sir Georg Solti/Vienna Philharmonic recordings of Wagner's "Das Rheingold" (2CDs) and "Gotterdammerung" (4CDs), each is in its own box with comprehensive booklet, for £1.50 and £2.00 respectively.  According to reviews I've seen, the original recordings (1959-1966) are rated as being the best versions of these works, and Decca engineers used CEDAR technology to get the best possible transfer to digital.

If (and its a BIG if) I enjoy listening to them, then a) it'll be the first time I've ever really "got into" opera, and b) I'll have to search for "Siegfried" and "Die Walkure" from the same set of releases to complete the Ring cycle.

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #1433 on: May 17, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »

If (and its a BIG if) I enjoy listening to them, then a) it'll be the first time I've ever really "got into" opera, and b) I'll have to search for "Siegfried" and "Die Walkure" from the same set of releases to complete the Ring cycle.

Monsieur Wagner has good moments, but awful quarters of an hour! Gioachino Rossini.

I lent a friend the complete Ring Cycle. He listened to all of it twice, to be certain that he did not like it.

I occasionally listen, but am not a fan.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1434 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »

Monsieur Wagner has good moments, but awful quarters of an hour! Gioachino Rossini.

I lent a friend the complete Ring Cycle. He listened to all of it twice, to be certain that he did not like it.

Love Opera, Mozart is a genius ... he must have composed the 14 hour The Ring Cycle on the 17th Century equivalent of acid.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1435 on: May 17, 2018, 08:25:08 PM »

Love Opera, Mozart is a genius ... he must have composed the 14 hour The Ring Cycle on the 17th Century equivalent of acid.

Hmm...I'm wondering if you were somewhat refreshed yourself when you composed that last sentence  Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1436 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »

Huh? is it not grammatically correct, I've drunk coffee?
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1437 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »

... apologies maybe it was Wagner (but not the one from X Factor) who was on something.  
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1438 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »

No offence intended obviously  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1439 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »

Not factually correct.

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: